GASLAND (the trailer)

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
GASLAND (the trailer)

Yo, did anyone here see the HBO documentary "GASLAND". I caught this,this afternoon and man WTF. Thanks to Bush-Cheney for passing a law that now let gas companies drill in National Parks.This was followed by Obama,who has not stopped the drilling.

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Lighting your tap water on

Lighting your tap water on fire, what an epic example of how fucked up our use of oil is. its sickening

I Am My God

The absence of evidence IS evidence of absence

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken, in the US when you

Ken, in the US when you purchase a house or land, you do NOT purchase the oil and minerals rights.  That is a separate purchase.  I think from when the law was first put in place in the mid-late 1800s.  The oil and mineral rights are probably already purchased by some big oil company.  They started buying up the O&M rights as soon as the law went into effect.  And if they now want to drill on your property, you have to let them.  They own it.

I don't think this is right.  But to take away the O&M rights, you would have to buy it from the oil companies.  Darn few of us have that kind of money.

Even my little house on a city lot has O&M rights exemptions.  When I purchased the property, there is a clause in the deed that explicitly states the deed does not include these rights.  I'm not concerned, as where I am there is darn little oil, gas, minerals, or even water worth drilling for.  We are on one of the smaller very extinct volcanoes in Portland.  

This is a really cool map - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boring_Lava_Field

We live on the western edge of this lava field. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote : O &M rights

Yeah,with eminent domain they can take anyone's property.But what get me is that before the Bush/Cheney administration no body ever drilled in a National Park before.That was set aside for future generations.And now with this Gas drilling many U.S. citizens have became disabled due to the fact that fracking poison the ground water and they dump their (produce water) water that has many chemicals in it,right on virgin land,and it seeps into the ground water that we depend on.Streams,and Creeks are now killing the wildlife,where ever they drill they destroy the land,water and the animals that depend on the streams for their food and water. Thank You,Dick.

Signature ? How ?