plants and memory/consciousness

BB4_intellect
atheist
BB4_intellect's picture
User is offlineOffline
plants and memory/consciousness

So, i was watching a program on the science channel today called "Revenge of the Plants". It was all about plants having some form of memory, and some directly responding to their environment through touch, dormancy, etc. Now, i definitely found all of this fascinating and interesting, but there was an image they showed a couple times throughout the program, of an inverted Vitruvian Man with roots instead of a head. I'm a huge Da Vinci fan and this was a beautiful image of a man and nature combined. In fact, i liked it so much I'm considering getting a tattoo of this very image. The only problem is, after a couple hours of scouring the web, i can't find a single picture of it. Help me out here people! = )

ShadowOfMan
atheist
ShadowOfMan's picture
User is offlineOffline

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BB4_intellect wrote:So, i

BB4_intellect wrote:
So, i was watching a program on the science channel today called "Revenge of the Plants". It was all about plants having some form of memory, and some directly responding to their environment through touch, dormancy, etc. Now, i definitely found all of this fascinating and interesting, but there was an image they showed a couple times throughout the program, of an inverted Vitruvian Man with roots instead of a head. I'm a huge Da Vinci fan and this was a beautiful image of a man and nature combined. In fact, i liked it so much I'm considering getting a tattoo of this very image. The only problem is, after a couple hours of scouring the web, i can't find a single picture of it. Help me out here people! = )

I HATE IT WHEN SCIENTISTS DO THAT, it gives dumb and dumber theists fuel.

"Memory" in the context of plants, or any biological life for that matter, is nothing more than a metaphor to describe a reaction to stimuli. "Memory foam" fluxes back to it's original shape but it is not cognitive like a human brain.

Talking to plants is absurd, there is nothing valid about it. Plants have memory like white cells interact with disease and develop immunity. Breathing on a plant might have the tangential and limited affect of providing the fuel our lungs expel which is the opposite of what a plant expels which we breath.

Do not conflate "memory" as used by the scientific community in regards to this issue as being human like. Plants do not have memory. They have evolved to convert fuel, repetition of that pattern by plants does not constitute "memory".

A Venus fly trap operates just like the jaw of an alligator accept without the cognition. You see clips of zoo keepers sticking their heads in the jaws of alligators without getting their heads snapped off. What triggers the jaw, is not the aligator's choice but the stimuli of material making contact with the inside of it's mouth. It is a reaction, not a cognition. It only happens that the alligator which as evolved with cognition in combo with the reaction to the stimuli, where as the plant does not.

Storing something in biological life does not constitute cognition. "Memory" in this context cannot be used in the same context as human memory and IS NOT the same thing.

Plants evolved to seek out resources like all other life, nothing more. The data in the DNA of plants IS NOT cognitive, merely reactionary.

A computer chip has memory but it is not cognitive.

Without seeing the show, I can say that it IS just a show and the producers aim is not to teach facts, but sell sell the show and I have found that most of the "science shows" on cable media are nothing but woo infested crap that mixes science with BS to get you to watch.

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BB4_intellect
atheist
BB4_intellect's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dur..

That's why i said it was 'interesting'. I never said I took everything to heart. It also made me want one of those plants that dances to music. lol.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I HATE IT WHEN

Brian37 wrote:
I HATE IT WHEN SCIENTISTS DO THAT, it gives dumb and dumber theists fuel.

Thank you Brian!

You saved me having to make the same rant.

Plant "memory" is the lasting presence of various plant hormones that have directly causal effects on cellular actions while they persist, not cognitive memory.

I like your comparison to memory foam, and memory metal.

Why I didn't post right away is because I was trying to find this program to watch it and tear it apart a bit more effectively- to no avail.  It does seem that there are some places to download it, but not to stream it.

Brian37 wrote:

A computer chip has memory but it is not cognitive.

Though a chip can contain actual memory when it runs an intelligence (although still very primitive intelligence at this point, it can be cognitive- unlike plants).

Without that adaptive neural net being run, though, the 'memory' doesn't have any basis, and is arbitrary data.

Anyway, BB4_intellect: 

If you want to find that image, I suggest downloading the show, and taking a screen capture of it when it displays.  If you use the normal screen capture functionality of the computer, you'll probably get a colour that's slightly off black instead of the image- but if you use something like VLC media player, which has the ability to take shots, you can get the image.

Or, if you don't want to do that, and you don't mind spending some money, you could contract an artist to draw it (often done with tattoos).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BB4_intellect wrote:

BB4_intellect wrote:
That's why i said it was 'interesting'. I never said I took everything to heart. It also made me want one of those plants that dances to music. lol.

I'm sorry. But I do get a lip twitch with scientists using particular words because theist laymen don't understand there is a HUMONGOUS difference in meaning. Didn't mean to take it out on you. But some people REALLY believe that plants respond to humans.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:BB4_intellect

Brian37 wrote:

BB4_intellect wrote:

I'm sorry. But I do get a lip twitch with scientists using particular words because theist laymen don't understand there is a HUMONGOUS difference in meaning. Didn't mean to take it out on you. But some people REALLY believe that plants respond to humans.

Reminds me of a story.  My mom had an elderly neighbor lady who had beautiful house plants.  Mom asked her if she talked to them to get them so healthy.  The old lady said, "I tell them GROW or I will throw you out in the alley!"

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.