The Transcendent and the Numinous

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Transcendent and the Numinous

we all hear how the religious talk about how it makes them feel, how they feel special and important, how it brings them awe and inspiration, something they claim science lacks

here i want people to post the things about science that makes people feel, as christopher hitchens says, the transcendent and the numinous

for me the biggest thing is probably this, its something i think about quite often and brings me great joy:

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Hubble and NASA in general

Hubble and NASA in general tend to give me the googly-wooglies (technical term).

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
atomicdogg34 wrote:we all

atomicdogg34 wrote:

we all hear how the religious talk about how it makes them feel, how they feel special and important, how it brings them awe and inspiration, something they claim science lacks

here i want people to post the things about science that makes people feel, as christopher hitchens says, the transcendent and the numinous

for me the biggest thing is probably this, its something i think about quite often and brings me great joy:

He is right,  and that sense of awe brings me joy too.

BUT

But we are only connected in the sense that we are made up of material that was once part of something else. We are NOT connected to the quark on the other side of the universe.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just finished watching

I just finished watching these:

Hawkings on:

Origin of the universe  (1/5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFjwXe-pXvM

Black holes (1/5)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSC3BMy23E

Master of the universe  (1/10)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxxbXgo7IVw

Some really awesome stuff here, Just trying to wrap your head around this stuff can take you to another place.  I certainly get all mushy inside trying to imagine a quasar, or black hole, or the universe in general for that matter.  One thing I that has always made me "feel" something warm from the natural world is the endless stories.  The infinite tales of every human, every creature, every river, every lake, every landmass, and how they changed and interacted over billions of years without "me".  We are such a small part of the story, as I wright this billions live other lives, and billions bofore have lived.  As I wright this millions of cougars hunt deer that could care less about me.  As I right trillions of animals are interacting, so many things are happening, so many stories.  My mind easily trails off to other planets and if there could be other stories out there.  Avatar is a great example of this, so many stories that are and could be of other lost life, that makes me "feel" something hard to explain.