Newly deconverted

superdark
superdark's picture
User is offlineOffline
Newly deconverted

Hello. As of January 1st 2010, I lost my faith in God. This deconversion is due almost entirely to videos from Thunderfoot and AronRa on youtube. And now, after four months of atheism, I can't imagine going back. That part of me has finally died after a good two years of simple thought. I'm happy to find a place like this where I can talk to other atheists.

-superdark-

The universe is so much more beautiful when seen without the bible in front of you.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.Wow,

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, it's only been about three and a half months. How does it feel?

Want to torture puppies yet? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi SuperDark

Pleased to meet you. Do you feel different in any way? Uplifted? Free from fear?

superdark
superdark's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Welcome

butterbattle wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

Worse. I've been eating babies left and right my friend. So much for morality.

As far as how it feels, I spent twenty years as a believer. Before I accepted reality, I saw the world as a waiting room before heaven. The world was boring! It was spending my life waiting for death. How fucked up is that? Turning away from my faith was like walking outside and doing something interesting for once. I can never go back to thinking the way I once did.

The universe is so much more beautiful when seen without the bible in front of you.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know exactly what you mean.

superdark wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

Worse. I've been eating babies left and right my friend. So much for morality.

As far as how it feels, I spent twenty years as a believer. Before I accepted reality, I saw the world as a waiting room before heaven. The world was boring! It was spending my life waiting for death. How fucked up is that? Turning away from my faith was like walking outside and doing something interesting for once. I can never go back to thinking the way I once did.

I don't believe I was truly alive when I believed. I'd been living in a dream world, Neo. Funny how my behaviour as an evil atheist did not change appreciably, bar taking greater responsibility for my actions and worrying more about conserving our finite planet.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard

After three and a half months of sanity you are almost ready for our free "How to BBQ kittens" cookbook, a best seller among atheist;  my favorite is on page 38 , 'stuffed Angora'.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!It sounds like your

Welcome!

It sounds like your atheism was a long time coming. I'm glad you sought out knowledge, and found it. That is an uplifting feeling, no?

Stick around. It's fun here.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
superdark wrote: Hello. As

superdark wrote:

Hello. As of January 1st 2010, I lost my faith in God. This deconversion is due almost entirely to videos from Thunderfoot and AronRa on youtube. And now, after four months of atheism, I can't imagine going back. That part of me has finally died after a good two years of simple thought. I'm happy to find a place like this where I can talk to other atheists.

-superdark-

These journeys may end up with a light bulb dinging above your head where you suddenly realize, but the journey is often long. Some here were lucky enough to be raised in families free from religious indoctrination, but many more here, including me had to get over our fear of questioning, and become objective without the Apologetics.

Congratulations and welcome. Now be a good atheist and barbecue a kitten and give an account of the NFL without their permission.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! Mmmm, babies. 

Welcome!

Mmmm, babies.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Newly deconvertedGlad

Glad to hear it!

mellestad wrote:

Welcome!

Mmmm, babies.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the site!

I welcome to the site and I hope to see you in the discussions here. As one of those previously mentioned people to grow up in a non religious household, I applaud you for doing a very courageous thing and following what you know to be true against the indoctrination of childhood. It isn't easy, but it is intellectually satisfying. Good luck on your journey into the light of reason.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

eboni4leigh
eboni4leigh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, and welcome, I'm new to

Hi, and welcome, I'm new to this site too.  And welcome to FREEDOM.  "..turning away from my faith was like walking outside..."        yes, it is like walking, or running, outside into the beautiful daylight.  from darkness into light.

Enjoy your freedom.  IT'S TOTALLY LIBERATING.

ContemptableWitness
ContemptableWitness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!What was your

Welcome!

What was your religious background before? How has your family reacted? 

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
hello and welcome! We have

hello and welcome!

We have orgies every 3rd Sunday of the month.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
ummm........

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

hello and welcome!

Why do you guys keep hiding the sign up sheet when ever I'm in the gym?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

hello and welcome!

I'm sure Annabel Chong will make a visit!

Unfortunately... I don't really care to leave the pad UNLESS it's nice and sunny out. Then I just walk around my 'hood.

Actually, I'm just kind of a lazy, unmotivated bastard when it comes to 'social events'

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

hello and welcome!

Why wasn't I aware of this? Is it because I live in a trailer and am missing teeth? So only the hot guys huh?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Renee

Kapkao wrote:

hello and welcome!

I'm sure Annabel Chong will make a visit!

Unfortunately... I don't really care to leave the pad UNLESS it's nice and sunny out. Then I just walk around my 'hood.

Actually, I'm just kind of a lazy, unmotivated bastard when it comes to 'social events'

Maybe Annabel is your idea of a good time, but not mine, thank you very much.  And not Mel Gibson or Harrison Ford, they're old farts!  George Clooney might be about right.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Renee

Brian37 wrote:

hello and welcome!

Why wasn't I aware of this? Is it because I live in a trailer and am missing teeth? So only the hot guys huh?

Don't feel alone.  Only hot girls need show up as well. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Renee

Brian37 wrote:

hello and welcome!

I guess we just don't go to the gym.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

TyboOSU
TyboOSU's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gratz on picking the winning

Gratz on picking the winning tea...errr...whose winning?

Crap...the numbers don't look so good...eeeps!

Anyways, I have been an atheist for a solid decade now, though begrudingly so on occasion. You just have to be carefull around the majority of folks being religious based.