Introduction

Dogod
User is offlineOffline
Introduction

Before I start, let me prevent the otherwise inevitable problems my username will cause. It has no religious connotations at all. It's the username I use on every forum, and I only realized after I registered that it could cause problems here. It means nothing. I'll put this in my signature also. (And I did laugh after I realized the connection)

I am an agnostic, not a full atheist. I usually leave people alone if they are religious. If anyone tries to convert me to their religion, I have a fun time tearing apart their reasons for becoming religious. Telling me that I should become Christian because otherwise I'll go to Hell will not convert me, I've had people try. And no, I won't convert to Christianity because "Science can't explain how the universe was created.". Religion fails just as much - Fine, so the universe was created by some deity, where did that deity come from (And always existed is not an acceptable answer)?

I just realized that that was a waste of time, since I don't think anyone here is going to try to convert me to any religion. Back to my introduction.

I live on Long Island, New York.

I am an internet addict, although not to the point that it's unhealthy. My spare time is likely to be spent on the internet.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!  If you like to

Welcome!  If you like to debate, this is a good place to be.

Are you an atheistic agnostic or a theistic agnostic?  Or a true neutral?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can approach absolute

You can approach absolute Zero either way, but you cant reach it. You can be in the  positive or negative but never reach zero.

You ARE agnostic in the sense that you are not sure. THAT IS FINE. But it is still a separate issue as to which way you lean.

A Christian is not agnostic. They are sure that Jesus is the son of the one true god. BUT, others can be commonly called deists or agnostic theists whom are people who think a super natural being is out there, but wont claim one absolutely to be sure, or give it a name, but lean towards guessing that one does exist.

Then there are, DESPITE WHAT BELIEVERS SELL YOU, agnostic atheists. These are people, just like their believing counterparts, are not sure, but lean toward the entire deity claim as being absurd.

I myself lean towards the being an outright atheist.

THE THING THAT IS MISSED is time. I will admit that I don't know the future. In that sense I am agnostic. BUT in terms of current and past claims of super natural magical invisible super brains, humans have nothing to universally replicate and falsify to get over the hurdle of personal whims.

"I could be wrong" yea, and there "might" be a god named Thor and there "might" be a god named Vishnu. How much time should humanity waste on personal bias when hunger, disease, famine, crime and war affect us all?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Dogod! Make yourself

Welcome Dogod! Make yourself at home  Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Dogod
User is offlineOffline
I'm closer to atheist than

I'm closer to atheist than theist.

My mother was Christian, my father was Jewish. We still celebrate the holidays at the family's houses, but for us, it's just a family gathering (and yes, holidays are good when you strip their religious meaning).

Basically, they both became agnostics themselves before they even met.

I was a full atheist for a time, but I realized that in some cases that could be comparative to actually being religious, in that you are believing something, even if that something is nothing, without evidence. I would never convert into any religion, unless some hard proof was supplied that not only was there a deity, but that that religion is the correct religion. I don't know if there is a deity or not, but I think that if there is, no religion has it correct.

Another possibility that I've considered is that we are all in some sort of virtual reality, created by some technically advanced alien race. Kind of like The Sims, holodeck version.

OneShotKillShot
OneShotKillShot's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi dogodI just joined as

Hi dogod

I just joined as well. This site has proved to be quite entertaining and stimulating. Have fun =)

One nation under Allah....start practicing it now the day is upon us.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Dogod wrote:I'm closer to

Dogod wrote:

My mother was Christian, my father was Jewish. We still celebrate the holidays at the family's houses, but for us, it's just a family gathering (and yes, holidays are good when you strip their religious meaning).

Basically, they both became agnostics themselves before they even met.

I was a full atheist for a time, but I realized that in some cases that could be comparative to actually being religious, in that you are believing something, even if that something is nothing, without evidence. I would never convert into any religion, unless some hard proof was supplied that not only was there a deity, but that that religion is the correct religion. I don't know if there is a deity or not, but I think that if there is, no religion has it correct.

Another possibility that I've considered is that we are all in some sort of virtual reality, created by some technically advanced alien race. Kind of like The Sims, holodeck version.

I toyed with that idea as well, but in the absence of evidence it seemed more appropriate to just call myself an atheist.  I'm not agnostic towards invisible polka-dot houseflies, even though I suppose they might exist somewhere, sometime, somehow.

If someone ever gives me an argument for God that I take seriously then I'll become an agnostic again until I make up my mind about the claim either way.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dogod wrote:I'm closer to

Dogod wrote:

Wrong. You are stuck on labels when what is reality is degree.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>0<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If you lean towards a god not existing then you are an AGNOSTIC ATHEIST.

You currently side with a god not existing, but are not sure.

I AM MYSELF AN AGNOSTIC ATHIEST

But only in time frame. I CURRENTLY see nothing that would convince me that an invisible magical super hero exists. But since I don't know the future, I cant say that my position will stay the same, although I highly suspect, baring mental defect, that chance is very slim that I will change my current position.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum. Have

Welcome to the forum. Have fun.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I share Hitchens view. Not

I share Hitchens view. Not only am I certain that man made god, but god would be such a tacky ass, watching you all the time and dictating what happens around you. Throwing you in hell for an eternity for being a human in this short lifetime. The whole concept seems very abhorrent and self loathing to me.

Welcome.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin