Hello from Australia

Silver_Dante
Silver_Dante's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello from Australia

I'm not really sure whether or not I would be called an atheist or an agnostic, but ultimately both are just labels so there isn't any real need to fit myself into a particular group.

I believe that there is no way of knowing, at present, whether or not a god exists. Just because god can't be disproved doesn't mean god exists, but the same applies both ways so it's not really an argument that ever goes anywhere. 

Existence is not something that concerns me, it is the actions of those who use god/s as justification for those actions. Christianity irks me the most, demanding that the bible in infallible when there are so many obvious errors and contradictions. If someone needs religion to give their life meaning then I'm ok with that, just so long as they don't go around trying to convert everyone else.

I don't really get a chance to talk to many atheists, I usually seem to end up in an argument with a chrisian. I've been told everything from "The old testament should be completely ignored" to "the story of Horus is basically identical to the story of Jesus because Horus copied Jesus ahead of time." Some people just make me want to scream.

I don't have any formal qualification along the lines of theology or philosophy or anything like that. I just read as much as I can about those kind of things and anytime I don't know an answer I will search until I find it. Going through primary school we had to do Religion as one of the subjects, I spent a few weeks at each one before I eventually went to the non-religion section and spent my time doing more productive things. I was already interested in mythology, so I just thought of modern religions as mythologies that people still follow.

I like logic and reason, I wish more people would see the virtues in logic and reason. Faith seems to blind people and I think that's a tragedy.

Anyway, hello all and I hope to take part in some of the forums.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, from another

Welcome, from another 'Aussie'.

I'm from Brisbane.

Never really took religion or God belief seriously myself.

Only got more strongly convinced that it's got nothing going for it at all, truth-wise.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome from the Seattle area!

Silver_Dante wrote:
I'm not really sure whether or not I would be called an atheist or an agnostic,

Silver_Dante wrote:
I believe that there is no way of knowing, at present, whether or not a god exists. Just because god can't be disproved doesn't mean god exists, but the same applies both ways so it's not really an argument that ever goes anywhere. 

You sound more agnostic to me.

Again welcome and try to have fun!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
When someone doesn't know

When someone doesn't know whether they are agnostic or not, I think that means they are agnostic... 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Silver.

Nice to meet you.