I hate all gods equally

mrblue
Posts: 5
Joined: 2010-03-18
User is offlineOffline
I hate all gods equally

Hello,

I come to this forum with some emotional baggage as I really hate religion.  I gain a great deal of satisfaction from insulting peoples gods and I do not apologise for this.  I am looking forward to some good healthy and therapeutic god bashing.

Regards, mrblue.

 

If you think that god speaks to you, I say you hallucinate and need professional help.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Hi MrBlue

 

Yeah - I had a weird fundamentalist upbringing complete with half naked thrashings followed by prayers and take a look at me. Personally I can't wait for the battle of Armageddon so's I can get the bastard in my sights. 

You'll have lots of fun here with the god bashing. In a few months you'll feel like a new person.

And welcome.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
awh... even the fun gods?

awh... even the fun gods?


B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2010-03-01
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome to the forum! You won't offend too many people here with the deity bashing, since the theists are in a massive minority here. See you in the discussions.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
hi, I'm kappy

mrblue wrote:

Hello,

I come to this forum with some emotional baggage as I really hate religion.  I gain a great deal of satisfaction from insulting peoples gods and I do not apologise for this.  I am looking forward to some good healthy and therapeutic god bashing.

Regards, mrblue.

 

I was hoping I wasn't the only one in the world...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
IE, you

The Doomed Soul wrote:

awh... even the fun gods?

What about the Fun Goddess?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2376
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

 

 

 

               Don't forget that some religions don't have a god to bash,  so we bash the religion anyways.  Not to mention the non-religious woo-woo like psychics and ghost hunters and any other irrational precept tht comes along.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13545
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
mrblue wrote:Hello,I come to

mrblue wrote:

Hello,

I come to this forum with some emotional baggage as I really hate religion.  I gain a great deal of satisfaction from insulting peoples gods and I do not apologise for this.  I am looking forward to some good healthy and therapeutic god bashing.

Regards, mrblue.

 

I always like to temper comments like this, not because I like religion, I don't, but to simply remind people that while blasphemy should be protected in any society, it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to know the difference between an individual, and ANY utterance that may come out of their mouths on any given issue.

I too hate religion, but I don't hate all individuals who have a religious belief. I can like or love an individual who holds a claim I find to be absurd without liking and even hating the claim itself.

My Mom is Catholic. I love her to no end, but I do hate the fact that she still believes in a magical super brain with super powers and who has a zombie god son. I will not apologize for loving her.

I too like poking the hornet's nest, but in all this I never forget that those who hold claims I find absurd, are still just as human as I am and that our species, in it's core, beyond the labels, are still subject to the same human emotions, human psychology, and actions, both good and bad.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Kane Jeeves
Posts: 11
Joined: 2010-03-19
User is offlineOffline
Careful there cowboy

I too think religion is the source of most evil.  But I also understand why people flock to it.  And the quickest way to get people to hold onto their beliefs even tighter, and to get them to flock to religion more, is to bash their religion.  Christians especially relish in persecution and suffering...it makes them feel like Jesus.

 

So my personal mission isn't to battle organized religion.  It's to pull the rug out from under it.  Athiests for Jesus!


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Kane Jeeves wrote:I too

Kane Jeeves wrote:

I too think religion is the source of most evil....

 

Really?  Like, *really*?  I dislike religion as much as the next guy here, but that is perhaps giving religion a bit too much credit.  The 'evil' that most humans commit would probably tick along just fine without religion.  it isn't like everyone would start being rational if the concept of God did not exist, and it isn't like 'rational' people are not capable of 'evil' anyway.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


Kane Jeeves
Posts: 11
Joined: 2010-03-19
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Kane Jeeves

mellestad wrote:

Kane Jeeves wrote:

I too think religion is the source of most evil....

 Really?  Like, *really*?  I dislike religion as much as the next guy here, but that is perhaps giving religion a bit too much credit.  The 'evil' that most humans commit would probably tick along just fine without religion.  it isn't like everyone would start being rational if the concept of God did not exist, and it isn't like 'rational' people are not capable of 'evil' anyway.

Perhaps I should have said "organized" religion.  As far as that goes, much of European history for example is history of the church and it's control over the lives of basically everyone and everything.  Western civilization has a Christian underpinning because of it, and that underpinning ain't pretty.  Columbus is a perfect example.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5095
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Lol

Brian37 wrote:

mrblue wrote:

Hello,

I come to this forum with some emotional baggage as I really hate religion.  I gain a great deal of satisfaction from insulting peoples gods and I do not apologise for this.  I am looking forward to some good healthy and therapeutic god bashing.

Regards, mrblue.

 

I always like to temper comments like this, not because I like religion, I don't, but to simply remind people that while blasphemy should be protected in any society, it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to know the difference between an individual, and ANY utterance that may come out of their mouths on any given issue.

I too hate religion, but I don't hate all individuals who have a religious belief. I can like or love an individual who holds a claim I find to be absurd without liking and even hating the claim itself.

My Mom is Catholic. I love her to no end, but I do hate the fact that she still believes in a magical super brain with super powers and who has a zombie god son. I will not apologize for loving her.

I too like poking the hornet's nest, but in all this I never forget that those who hold claims I find absurd, are still just as human as I am and that our species, in it's core, beyond the labels, are still subject to the same human emotions, human psychology, and actions, both good and bad.

 

Brian is right. I know when I say I hate god I'm bringing a false concept to life to punch it. But it's easier on me than hating my 80yo mother who used to beat up on me and now depends on me to look after her. What are you going to do with this stuff? Ultimately as Brian is suggesting, we have to relate to those around us.

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Kane Jeeves wrote:mellestad

Kane Jeeves wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Kane Jeeves wrote:

I too think religion is the source of most evil....

 Really?  Like, *really*?  I dislike religion as much as the next guy here, but that is perhaps giving religion a bit too much credit.  The 'evil' that most humans commit would probably tick along just fine without religion.  it isn't like everyone would start being rational if the concept of God did not exist, and it isn't like 'rational' people are not capable of 'evil' anyway.

Perhaps I should have said "organized" religion.  As far as that goes, much of European history for example is history of the church and it's control over the lives of basically everyone and everything.  Western civilization has a Christian underpinning because of it, and that underpinning ain't pretty.  Columbus is a perfect example.

 

Even that is too much.  I think religion can be harmful.  Saying it is the root of evil is just...too enthusiastic, as well as being too easy for a theist to refute.  It makes you look dogmatic and zealous.

Just my 2c

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


GodlessGabriel
atheist
GodlessGabriel's picture
Posts: 24
Joined: 2010-03-10
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Kane Jeeves


mellestad wrote:

Kane Jeeves wrote:

I too think religion is the source of most evil....

 

Really?  Like, *really*?  I dislike religion as much as the next guy here, but that is perhaps giving religion a bit too much credit.  The 'evil' that most humans commit would probably tick along just fine without religion.  it isn't like everyone would start being rational if the concept of God did not exist, and it isn't like 'rational' people are not capable of 'evil' anyway.

In a way you're right not all people would suddenly turn to rationality if the idea of god disappeared but allow me to quote Steven Weinberg

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

So Yes, I do believe that religion is the source of most evil on the planet.

Just think about all the suicide bombers who think that they'll go to heaven and be rewarded 75 virgins for killing themselves and innocent people.

Or think of all the bloodshed of the and wars that happened and still happen in the name of god .

"I don't believe in afterlife, although I am bringing a change of underwear."


Kane Jeeves
Posts: 11
Joined: 2010-03-19
User is offlineOffline
Nice quote from Steven

Nice quote from Steven Weinberg.  And I think one of the reasons why religion can turn good people bad is that it has the perfect "escape clause".  And I've heard this many times from Christians: I can do whatever I want on Monday through Saturday as long as I go to church on Sunday.  So in my mind religion actually leads to immorality since it moves the moral judge so to speak outside of one's self.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
I knew it....

Atheistextremist wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

mrblue wrote:

Hello,

I come to this forum with some emotional baggage as I really hate religion.  I gain a great deal of satisfaction from insulting peoples gods and I do not apologise for this.  I am looking forward to some good healthy and therapeutic god bashing.

Regards, mrblue.

I always like to temper comments like this, not because I like religion, I don't, but to simply remind people that while blasphemy should be protected in any society, it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to know the difference between an individual, and ANY utterance that may come out of their mouths on any given issue.

I too hate religion, but I don't hate all individuals who have a religious belief. I can like or love an individual who holds a claim I find to be absurd without liking and even hating the claim itself.

My Mom is Catholic. I love her to no end, but I do hate the fact that she still believes in a magical super brain with super powers and who has a zombie god son. I will not apologize for loving her.

I too like poking the hornet's nest, but in all this I never forget that those who hold claims I find absurd, are still just as human as I am and that our species, in it's core, beyond the labels, are still subject to the same human emotions, human psychology, and actions, both good and bad.

 Brian is right. I know when I say I hate god I'm bringing a false concept to life to punch it. But it's easier on me than hating my 80yo mother who used to beat up on me and now depends on me to look after her. What are you going to do with this stuff? Ultimately as Brian is suggesting, we have to relate to those around us.

Catholics and their descendants make the best atheists.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
Posts: 162
Joined: 2010-01-15
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao

Kapkao wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

mrblue wrote:

Hello,

I come to this forum with some emotional baggage as I really hate religion.  I gain a great deal of satisfaction from insulting peoples gods and I do not apologise for this.  I am looking forward to some good healthy and therapeutic god bashing.

Regards, mrblue.

I always like to temper comments like this, not because I like religion, I don't, but to simply remind people that while blasphemy should be protected in any society, it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to know the difference between an individual, and ANY utterance that may come out of their mouths on any given issue.

I too hate religion, but I don't hate all individuals who have a religious belief. I can like or love an individual who holds a claim I find to be absurd without liking and even hating the claim itself.

My Mom is Catholic. I love her to no end, but I do hate the fact that she still believes in a magical super brain with super powers and who has a zombie god son. I will not apologize for loving her.

I too like poking the hornet's nest, but in all this I never forget that those who hold claims I find absurd, are still just as human as I am and that our species, in it's core, beyond the labels, are still subject to the same human emotions, human psychology, and actions, both good and bad.

 Brian is right. I know when I say I hate god I'm bringing a false concept to life to punch it. But it's easier on me than hating my 80yo mother who used to beat up on me and now depends on me to look after her. What are you going to do with this stuff? Ultimately as Brian is suggesting, we have to relate to those around us.

Catholics and their descendants make the best atheists.

Funny, my friend always refers to himself as a "recovering catholic".  He says that you never really get over all the guilt an fear.

He tried a 12 step program, but the whole "accepting a higher power" got in the way. Smiling

Dolt:"Evolution is just a theory."
Me:"Yes, so is light and gravity. Pardon me while I flash this strobe while dropping a bowling ball on your head. This shouldn't bother you; after all, these are just theories."


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I think we should bash the

I think we should bash the guys that wrote the bible and all religion based text. There is no god to bash so, bashing the people who propogate this crap would be more feasible, and probably more productive if we knew more about them and why they did it.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13545
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Kane Jeeves wrote:I too

Kane Jeeves wrote:

I too think religion is the source of most evil.  But I also understand why people flock to it.  And the quickest way to get people to hold onto their beliefs even tighter, and to get them to flock to religion more, is to bash their religion.  Christians especially relish in persecution and suffering...it makes them feel like Jesus.

 

So my personal mission isn't to battle organized religion.  It's to pull the rug out from under it.  Athiests for Jesus!

Certainly that can be the case, that the more you push the more people resist, ON ANY ISSUE. It is kind of like telling a child not to touch the stove. The more you tell them not to the more they do it. I GET THAT.

BUT, life is not absolutes an I can tell you from my personal journey that if it were not for a guy questioning the magical powers of the alleged Jesus character, I wouldn't have taken the decade journey to finally accepting my atheism.

Not even on the issue of religion, many times in my past my parents or friends or co-workers on my given claim, behavior or action said, " you are full of shit". If it were not for that "verbal smack in the face" I wouldn't have realized how absurd I was being on that given situation.

You call it "Bashing", I call it "bitching" and to say that humans shouldn't bitch is absurd. We all do it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


mrblue
Posts: 5
Joined: 2010-03-18
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the welcome.I

Thanks for the welcome.

I will keep my abuse directed to religion, not individuals.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
>:)

kidvelvet wrote:

Funny, my friend always refers to himself as a "recovering catholic".  He says that you never really get over all the guilt an fear.

He tried a 12 step program, but the whole "accepting a higher power" got in the way. Smiling

12 step programs never worked for me for the same frikkin reason

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
interesting tidbit

Kapkao wrote:

kidvelvet wrote:

Funny, my friend always refers to himself as a "recovering catholic".  He says that you never really get over all the guilt an fear.

He tried a 12 step program, but the whole "accepting a higher power" got in the way. Smiling

12 step programs never worked for me for the same frikkin reason

New study showed that 12 steps with religion were more stressful than treatment programs without religion for some patients.  But results - for getting clean and staying clean - were identical for both groups.  That is, if you are more comfortable without religion, the 12 step program without religion works just as well as the 12 step with religion.

No excuses, clean it up.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Oh! I'm sorry... I should've said this earlier...

cj wrote:

New study showed that 12 steps with religion were more stressful than treatment programs without religion for some patients.  But results - for getting clean and staying clean - were identical for both groups.  That is, if you are more comfortable without religion, the 12 step program without religion works just as well as the 12 step with religion.

No excuses, clean it up.

I forgot to mention my primary addiction is to evil womens... I haven't taken illegal drugs  EVER in my life.(this may be my #1 problem... then again, I'm bipolar, so I may only perceive my lack of substance abuse as a problem) I did have a run in with my dad about my sudden interest in inhalants back when I was 14... he successfully steered me clear of that habit -by becoming batty-hysterical, I might add.

(long-winded story follows)

My only experience with '12 steps'... I think the patient care techs called it "psychiatric substances therapy" or some such...ANYWAYS! The moment I walked in the therapy room... I was I was a little jittery, I was given a test, the mean temperature rose about 12°F once everyone got in there. I got 3/5ths the way then quietly said "F* this nonsense" and gave the test over to the instructor. We continued discussion for about 45 mins once everyone was done. When we came to the 'higher power' part I was like "Nope. This has never worked for me" with a really cold expression on my face. The black guy sitting next to me quietly stood up and walked over to the other side of the room. For the rest of my time their, it was a lot a garbage about god and "learn to forgive yourself for past wrongs to others and move on". I told them I couldn't do that either (I've been an asshole to one particular person not in my family in ways that DO NOT bear repeating)

The one interesting thing about the whole event was that I caught the attention of both the therapist and one other individual who kept giggling and quipping that "he only needs science to help him through his troubles". I wore my "EVVIIILLL!" grin and continued to watch people come to life by simply talking with them. This one bipolar guy, for instance... had commited suicide 10 times, drank a whole bottle of antifreeze once, came SUPERclose to kidney failure (which I asked him about)... was wrapped up in a blanket all shy and everything. I asked him a few questions, therapist style, and then he gets all talkative all of the sudden, taking the blanket off his head & back! (He spends the rest of the class talking about OT-centric Christian beliefs, unfortunately )

Moral of the story:nothing is more fun (to me) then watching people react to the things you say (in my case, often simple,straight-forward remarks) and then attempting to quantify those psychological responses in a semi-scientific manner.

 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:<a lot of

Kapkao wrote:

<a lot of talk>

Moral of the story:nothing is more fun (to me) then watching people react to the things you say (in my case, often simple,straight-forward remarks) and then attempting to quantify those psychological responses in a semi-scientific manner.

Finding a decent therapy group or therapist is tough.  I've been in and out of therapy - I'm just neurotic, nothing special.  But finding someone who doesn't tick you off in the first five minutes is tough.  And finding a group of people who don't send you around the bend in two is tougher.  I agree, going to a session and they all start going on about how the invisible friend is going to help them would not only be annoying, it would get me out of the room faster than The Flash.  I swear. 

Hard for me to get into people watching at that point, I'm usually too ticked off.  I like to people watch at a park or along a hiking trail or downtown.  Somewhere where no one expects me to interact.  I've been a corporate slave too long to be comfortable zinging people - the usual consequence for that kind of behavior is you won't get that raise you have been dreaming of.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
GodlessGabriel

GodlessGabriel wrote:


mellestad wrote:

Kane Jeeves wrote:

I too think religion is the source of most evil....

 

Really?  Like, *really*?  I dislike religion as much as the next guy here, but that is perhaps giving religion a bit too much credit.  The 'evil' that most humans commit would probably tick along just fine without religion.  it isn't like everyone would start being rational if the concept of God did not exist, and it isn't like 'rational' people are not capable of 'evil' anyway.

In a way you're right not all people would suddenly turn to rationality if the idea of god disappeared but allow me to quote Steven Weinberg

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

So Yes, I do believe that religion is the source of most evil on the planet.

Just think about all the suicide bombers who think that they'll go to heaven and be rewarded 75 virgins for killing themselves and innocent people.

Or think of all the bloodshed of the and wars that happened and still happen in the name of god .

 

No, they are in the name of dogma, not religion.  Religion often encourages dogmatic support of an idea, but to say 'religion' is the cause is simply incorrect.  Nationalism, racism, theism...these things all cause massive amounts of human tragedy when taken too far. 

Don't think I am defending religion, because I'm not.  I just don't think 'religion' is the primary cause of anything.  Religion simply encourages blind belief, and blind belief is what is dangerous.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.