My Letter to the Editor about an Anti-Abortion Dilemma at my School

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
My Letter to the Editor about an Anti-Abortion Dilemma at my School

Backstory:

Recently at my University, there were two candidates for the Presidential election for SGB (Student Government Board). The first candidate, Romeo, is an active Christian on campus. The second, Shull, is not. Shull won the election.

Recently an anti-abortion group on campus demanded money so they could go to Washington DC and protest, rally or participate in some kind of political cause that had to do with anti-abortion. Shull said no, we are not giving you the money.  Their group would use the money for proselyztizing and thus it would not be a fair desicion.

Big surprise...there was backlash, outrage, etc. Romeo, who is in this group, accused Shull of being discriminatory and blah blah. There was a lot of pressure put on SGB, and I think also because Shull is new to the Presidency and was afraid of his reputation being tainted, they revoked the desicion and allotted $1,515 so this group can go do their bullshit.

First, here is a letter written by an angry Christian on campus in response to the initial decision:

I am writing in regards to the article “Board denies funds for anti-abortion group.”
I was present at the Student Government Board meeting on Tuesday night, and let me assure your readers that SGB President-elect Charlie Shull’s rationale is indeed as flawed as it appears in the article.

If Shull has a problem with the religious members of this campus, that’s fine. It’s his opinion. Maybe a nun rapped him on the knuckles back in grade school and he’s still upset about it.

In any case, his reasoning that the March for Life is a “proselytizing” event flies in the face of the fact that it isn’t a religious event by any means, as mentioned by both Students for Life member Justin Romeo and Peter Gruber, the president of the group. Having been to the March for Life in previous years, I can say with certainty that it is not an effort to convert people to a religion but to voice an opinion.

If voicing an opinion is proselytizing, then all political groups at Pitt ought to have their funding revoked. Shull did take the time to mention Romeo’s religious convictions, which weren’t relevant to the topic of funding at all. I think this is evidently a case of Board members’ bias, and it sounds like a violation of the First Amendment, which protects the freedoms everyone is for, until they have to hear something they don’t like.

Here is a letter I wrote to the editor in response to the whole ordeal. I hope it gets published but it is finals week right now so the newspaper is a little behind on things, understandably:

I agree with Charlie Shull's initial decision to refuse the anti-abortion
group funding for their rally (or protest, or lobbying, whatever it's
being called), and not because of their religious beliefs. Whether they
were pro-life or pro-choice, what strikes me as odd is that the university
would be willing to allocate funding for a group's specific political
cause in the first place. I assume that Shull meant to be fair as opposed
to discriminatory, and that the fact that the decision was revoked was due
to pressure and backlash against SGB for being prejudiced and religiously
discriminatory. Frankly, that's about as logical as calling someone who
refuses funding to PETA anti-animal. $1,515 is a large sum of money,
something that would perhaps be more fairly given to a new group trying to
get started. If the anti-abortion group feels so strongly about this very
personal issue, why can't they use personal funding? I don't believe it is
SGB's job to hand out money for any kind of rally or protest.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A good response.

A good response. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

dingusdangus
Troll
dingusdangus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Although I am an atheist, I

Although I am an atheist, I am also anti-abortion, but I agree that colleges should not be giving groups money to go protest something, no matter what it is. what is sad about these anti-abortion nuts is that they feel that way mostly on religious grounds and that they believe human life, no matter if it is only a few days old, is incredibly precious and beyond reproach.

I am against abortion for a number of reasons, but mainly because I have known a number of women who could not have kids because they had abortions. some of them could get pregnant, but it would end in miscarriage every time. I don't remember the exact details. In addition, I just think it is a waste of life, especially if the pregnancy is past a month or so. but I don't think abortion should be illegal anymore than sex change should be illegal. they are both pretty disgusting as far as I am concerned. I knew a girl growing up, who was briefly my girlfriend in Junior High, who had six abortions before she was eighteen. Six. Needless to say, she can't have kids.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The question of course is

The question of course is does the board fund other such activities? For example, would it fund a Democrat group to go protest the war in Iraq?

Something similar happened at my university last year. The board did not approve "pro-life" ads from a group on campus, which it usually does to other groups.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Personally, I think the

Personally, I think the only way to be fair about any kind of issue like this is to deny funding equally.  State funded universities should not be in the business of taking sides of political issues, except where they involve the university directly.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
dingusdangus wrote:Although

dingusdangus wrote:

Although I am an atheist, I am also anti-abortion, but I agree that colleges should not be giving groups money to go protest something, no matter what it is. what is sad about these anti-abortion nuts is that they feel that way mostly on religious grounds and that they believe human life, no matter if it is only a few days old, is incredibly precious and beyond reproach.

I am against abortion for a number of reasons, but mainly because I have known a number of women who could not have kids because they had abortions. some of them could get pregnant, but it would end in miscarriage every time. I don't remember the exact details. In addition, I just think it is a waste of life, especially if the pregnancy is past a month or so. but I don't think abortion should be illegal anymore than sex change should be illegal. they are both pretty disgusting as far as I am concerned. I knew a girl growing up, who was briefly my girlfriend in Junior High, who had six abortions before she was eighteen. Six. Needless to say, she can't have kids.

What's always boggled my mind is why  people don't use condoms or birth control. They're not expensive, they're easy to put on. Or take the pill. Or get a morning after pill or do SOMETHING. I don't understand why people are so idiotic about it.

You see a lot of teen pregnancy in impoverished neighborhoods, but children are way more expensive than birth control. Which is why I'm all for high schools giving out birth control.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

dingusdangus
Troll
dingusdangus's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint

peppermint wrote:

dingusdangus wrote:

What's always boggled my mind is why  people don't use condoms or birth control. They're not expensive, they're easy to put on. Or take the pill. Or get a morning after pill or do SOMETHING. I don't understand why people are so idiotic about it.

You see a lot of teen pregnancy in impoverished neighborhoods, but children are way more expensive than birth control. Which is why I'm all for high schools giving out birth control.

For one thing, estrogen overload, i.e. birth control pills, make women even crazier than they already are. Duh. And condoms make me not even want to have sex, and that "morning after" pill? go ahead and down a bottle of Tylenol Extra Strength while you are at it. Your liver will thank you in a very short time.

So, you are right, it is a dilemma. and it isn't just guys who hate condoms either. And the very definition of a dilemma is that I can't think of any way to solve it short of the government paying for tubal ligations and vasectomy's. I was going to get one but they are expensive, and my insurance wouldn't cover it. and I was working for the government at the time, with almost complete medical and dental coverage.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Agree with peppermint

I agree with the original OP - that letter was straight - the school caved on this issue.

I am not a particular fan of abortion (no one is, surely) but think it should be a matter of personal choice.

Went through one of these with my partner on account of some health stuff and it really sucked. 

We still talk about it and get upset about it 14 years later.

Bring on the male pill is all I can say - I'd definitely go on it. Easier on the ladies.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Bring on the male pill is all I can say - I'd definitely go on it. Easier on the ladies.

Get a vasecomy, much easier than polluting your body with chemicals.

Mine was fairly painful at the time, Dr. kept assuring me (during) the op that the meds would kick in, never did. Consequently I had a raw and real experience of a scalpel going through my scotum, then the vas deferentia followed by a jolt as I was cauterized to seal said vas up.

I still have major mood swings when someone Dutch asks "Vas up?"

I understand this isn't a ringing endorsement of the pain-free aspect.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
While it would be nice to

While it would be nice to have safer or more consistent or even more pleasurable forms of birth control, it all comes down to personal responsibility. If you want to have sex, then kids are the likely consequence. If you have a problem with birth control, and another with abortion, and don't want kids either, then you really need to use your hand. End of story.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

SapphireMind
SapphireMind's picture
User is offlineOffline
The bigger issue is teaching

The bigger issue is teaching these girls (and boys) about self-respect, love and what their future could be like without a baby. 

The situations that many girls are coming from who are getting pregnant as teenagers involve an absent father and typically a lot of other social issues.  Some of the girls want to have babies because they are looking for that unconditional love. 

I don't like abortion.  I wish that it wasn't wanted or needed anymore.  But that's not going to happen without a major changes to the lives of young people who are struggling. 

About the girl with 6 abortions.....see, that just makes me sad for her.  Having an abortion from what I hear isn't exactly fun or comfortable.  Having someone repeat it so many times as a teenager says to me that she has some serious mental health issues and there are boys willing to overlook that in the pursuit of sex.  (no, I don't mean she's "crazy" per se, but that her self-worth must be in the toilet, perhaps has some sort of addiction, and a host of other issues)

"Shepherd Book once said to me, 'If you can't do something smart, do something right.'" - Jayne

Personally subverting biological evolution in favor of social evolution every night I go to work!