Hi from the UK

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
Hi from the UK

OK - go gentle with me - I'm sorta new to this forum stuff.

Lifelong atheist (well, from about the age of 5 or 6 - made my dad SO proud) and possibly a third generation one at that, although I never knew my grandad. Have produced 3 more 4th generation atheists/ rationalists (which makes me very proud of my kids that they grew up with BS detectors working at full gain).

In my fifth decade now, and trying to get round to do something active to help promote rationalism and independant thought in the world. Call it enlightened self-interest and an indirect way to look after my genetic heritage. Reduce the amount of dogma in the world = reduction in conflict - right?

greetings to all from the UK.

Andrew

Inferno
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

I don't feel like I've been around long enough to be an official part of the welcoming committee, but Welcome!

We need all the recruits we're able to get in this war against intelligence.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome dinathor!!Thank you

Welcome dinathor!!

Thank you for breeding as I have chosen not to ~ seems that you have had plenty for me  Eye-wink

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Inferno wrote:I don't feel

Inferno wrote:

I don't feel like I've been around long enough to be an official part of the welcoming committee, but Welcome!

We need all the recruits we're able to get in this war against intelligence.

I'm in the same boat, but I'm actually in a war against UN-intelligence...

But Welcome to the Forum.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome! Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Inferno
User is offlineOffline
I actually meant that we're

I actually meant that we're fighting in a war being waged against intelligence by the unintelligent, since we aren't the ones who initiated the conflict.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Haha, I know it was a typo,

Haha, I know it was a typo, hence the smiley lol

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

MrPal
Superfan
MrPal's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hey, welcome!   You must

Hey, welcome!  

You must be very proud of your kids.  

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Dinothor

Did you say anything to keep your kids on the narrow winding path to truth or did they just continue on in a state of born godlessness?

Welcome to the fun!

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Andrew, I also a

Welcome Andrew,

I am also a lifelong Atheist, born in the U.K. and now living in Los Angeles, CA.

You'll enjoy your time here, I'm sure.

Tim AKA Abu Lahab

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, from another

Welcome, from another lifelong atheist, on the other side of the world...

Down with dogma! Whether 'spiritual', economic, political, whatever...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Hi. Laughing out loud

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist wrote:Haha,

v4ultingbassist wrote:

I think my doctor falsely said I had b-positive blood. I am such a bad speller I think I really am TYPE O

Welcome to the OP,

Now be a good atheist and Barbecue a kitten and drag your knuckles and howl at the moon.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

v4ultingbassist wrote:

I think my doctor falsely said I had b-positive blood. I am such a bad speller I think I really am TYPE O

Welcome to the OP,

Now be a good atheist and Barbecue a kitten and drag your knuckles and howl at the moon.

I did what the Native American is doing in your pic after reading that. 

Valerie
Valerie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Hi Andrew,

I would also like to thank you for breeding good stock as I too, have chosen not to.  And like you, I'm 3rd generation Atheist...I think my brother's children just might be 4th.  They live in Los Angeles.  Two of them are twin 22 yr. old brilliant and beautiful girls.  If you have sons...hint hint...LOL!!  And I too, just entered my fifth decade!!!

I think that that the U.K. is much more tolerant of Atheists than the U.S.  But I live in NYC, so I'm very lucky as well.

Cheers and welcome from another newbie!!

Valerie

"Religion must die for mankind to live" - Bill Maher

"Those who deny reason cannot be conquered by it" - Ayn Rand