Hey

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
Posts: 601
Joined: 2009-12-04
User is offlineOffline
Hey

My name is Eamon.  I am an atheist.  I am also a mechanical engineering student who plays electric bass, rock climbs, wants to design roller coasters, and used to pole vault. 

 

I had a bit of a philosophy binge over the summer, and have since wanted to have discussions about the 'deep' stuff, and that's why I am here.  I am also an avid lover of space and physics, and absolutely love the 'We Are All Connected' video.  I look forward to some good discussion.  (I posted a few times as Eamon Kelly, as an FYI)


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

 Hi. Laughing out loud

 

Welcome to the forums. 


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome! Laughing out loud

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Parallel
Parallel's picture
Posts: 72
Joined: 2009-10-26
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard, feel free to

Welcome aboard, feel free to help yourself to the mini tacos.


Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliateSilver Member
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
Posts: 1388
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
Welcome !!  Jump right in

Welcome !!  Jump right in and join the fun  Smiling

 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/


airmech
Bronze Member
airmech's picture
Posts: 5
Joined: 2008-12-23
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome!

If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy. Marquis de Lafayette.


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5810
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.Could be

Welcome.

Could be interesting, altho beware I have mostly given up on philosophy as a source of insight or understanding.

I prefer firmly science-based insights and speculation. I have seen far too many cases where, after listening to or reading some fascinating discussion and speculation based on some bleeding-edge research on anything from cosmology to consciousness, I run across some philosophy discussion on roughly the same topics, and have been stunned at how out-of-date and either simplistic or overly confused/confusing their ideas seem to be.

I started into philosophy way back at high school, read Russell's History of Western Philosophy while doing Electrical Engineering at Uni.

The best philosophers, to me, are the ones firmly starting from current science, like Daniel Dennett.

Of non-living ones I guess David Hume and Bertrand Russell come to mind as very acceptable to me.

 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
Posts: 601
Joined: 2009-12-04
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

Welcome.

Could be interesting, altho beware I have mostly given up on philosophy as a source of insight or understanding.

I prefer firmly science-based insights and speculation.

 

Oh I definitely agree.  All the metaphysical arguments you can make mean nothing if they aren't grounded in nature.  I just like thinking a lot about what we know and how it applies, and in my opinion that is what philosophy is.  I treat it as the insight or understanding with science as the source.


Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
Posts: 237
Joined: 2009-11-19
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist wrote:All

v4ultingbassist wrote:
All the metaphysical arguments you can make mean nothing if they aren't grounded in nature.
Hehe. If it's grounded in nature, it aint metaphysical.


 

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!


v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
Posts: 601
Joined: 2009-12-04
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

v4ultingbassist wrote:
All the metaphysical arguments you can make mean nothing if they aren't grounded in nature.
Hehe. If it's grounded in nature, it aint metaphysical.

 

 

 

Well I mean that arguments like whether or not space-time is a part of nature or a part of perception are based on nature, but are speculative.  I guess I interpret good metaphysics as 'theories using science and reasoning,' that can't be scientifically evaluated because of limitations in current knowledge or technology.  It may not mean much, but for someone who isn't actually studying neurology or other sciences (nor do I have a way too), it is fun to speculate using my thought-arguments.


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5810
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist

v4ultingbassist wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Welcome.

Could be interesting, altho beware I have mostly given up on philosophy as a source of insight or understanding.

I prefer firmly science-based insights and speculation.

 

Oh I definitely agree.  All the metaphysical arguments you can make mean nothing if they aren't grounded in nature.  I just like thinking a lot about what we know and how it applies, and in my opinion that is what philosophy is.  I treat it as the insight or understanding with science as the source.

That is pretty much how I see it as still having relevance and usefulness, in exploring ideas at the fringes of science and beyond, and the implications of those ideas.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology