Forum speed increase attempt in progress: feedback requested
I need to know how much faster the forums work for you as a result of current changes I'll be making with the intent to increase forum speed. This change is predominantly an attempt to increase forum speed. Thanks to Brad for inadvertently suggesting this change which I had been contemplating but couldn't afford to do because I needed to use the side bars for advertising. With recent donations I've been able to justify this change in hopes that this will make the forum more active.
If you like the change and have yet to donate please help keep things like this by subscribing to bronze for $3 per month. You can also send a one time $5 donation to help replace the ad revenue that will be lost. Of course larger donations are appreciated but if I can get 30 bronze members at $3 per month it will easily replace ad revenue that will be lost. (fwiw: we're not gonna get 30)
One of the reasons I need feedback here is to determine what else could be slowing the forums down. I will slowly strip away a ton of advertising but if it's the text editor or how the menus are built, or something else I need to know.
When giving feedback these are the most important things I need to know:
- What browser are you using?
- How much faster is it now?
- Can you tell if it is hanging on something specific?
This will be done in stages so revisit this thread to add more feedback later I will update the changes.
First batch of changes:
- Removed entire right column on forums, the forums are now wider as a result. Help make up the money lost!
- Removed 3 Amazon books on left side of site (some amazon books will go back up soon when I can deliver the content in a faster method)
- Removed the small amazon book table on the left
- Removed the bookmark button on the left side (use the bookmarks under the posts now ie stumbleupon, facebook, reddit... please use these so we can make new friends!)