New Anti-Darwinian Documentary

tastybrain
atheist
tastybrain's picture
User is offlineOffline

There is an anti-darwinian documentary coming out which aims to debunk evolution. It's filmed in the Galapagos. Here's the link:

http://www.visionforumministries.org/issues/news_and_reports/the_mysterious_islands_new_gal.aspx

There's a link to the documentary's official website at the end of the article, but the loading time took too long so I didn't watch it.

Most likely it will include most of the nonsense and ID prevarication common to creation mythology.

What do you all think? Has anyone heard of it?

p.s. this is my first post!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I see you fixed your posting

I see you fixed your posting problems.  Just make sure to use the pull down tab to select the most appropriate forum, I think this one goes best in Science but it could've gone in Atheist vs. Theist as well... I moved it as you can see.

Welcome aboard.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congrats on your first

Congrats on your first post.

Told through the eyes of 16-year-old Joshua Phillips, The Mysterious Islands presents a remarkable quest to Darwin’s Eden with Joshua, his father, and a team of scientists and investigators including Dr. John Morris, president of the Institute for Creation Research.

"Darwin was a poor naturalist,” noted Phillips, who led the team on this historic expedition. “While on the Galapagos, he improperly recorded his observations and later drew fundamentally wrong conclusions from the findings that he made. One hundred and fifty years after the publication of his magnum opus, his errors are clearer to see. It is not surprising that key arguments he advanced to support his Theory of Evolution have been rejected by evolutionists themselves. By retracing his steps, we show exactly where he erred.”

Joshua Phillips, bullied at school. Bank on it.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

I don't understand why these people think that there are a large number of people that worship Darwin. Understanding evolution =\= worship of a man long dead.

They think that if they discredit Darwin, whose work was only a starting point, and mostly has nothing to do with modern evolutionary theory, somehow people will jump on their Creationist bandwagon?

Large parts of Darwin's work is flawed. Scientists found this years ago. It isn't breaking news. It also disproves nothing but calls into question Darwin's original findings. It doesn't detract from anything we use today.

It makes no sense to me logically. Even if they disproved the scientific theory of evolution used as a standard today, it wouldn't make Creationism viable.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
This documentary proves evolution is true

Because it's clear Josh Philips is a throwback to the thinkers of 150 years ago. You can see Josh's god-brain thinking in the way he addresses this case.

Decry Darwin and evolution is debunked. The prophet and his message are one. Retchville.

I get pissed off when I listen to arguments from the godly which have beached themselves on Darwin's sandbank and are unable to consider any later, better studies.

Darwin was a generalist though you have to tip your cap to his ten year barnacle obsession.

Wallace was vastly better in the field than Darwin but his science is too exact and must be ignored by these dimwits.

This is as sweet a case of pseudo science as you'll ever see. Next they'll be telling us the pre cambrian explosion was

evidence of an especially fecund moment the lord had on the third day. Some one hold my hair out of my eyes while I vomit.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
   Who cares if religious

Who cares if religious fundamentalists reject Darwins theories ?  What would we expect them to do ?  The most telling thing about this controversy is that apparently the majority of people who are scientifically knowledgeable in related fields ( with few exceptions ) have not found any reason to reject it.

When it comes to evaluating the validity of scientific claims I would much rather put my trust in someone who has a Phd in actual science than in someone who has a Phd in theology.

(   ps, hey tastybrain I love your user name, it's just my style. )

tastybrain
atheist
tastybrain's picture
User is offlineOffline
Righto

Agree with the comments thus far. I, for one, do care if religious fundamentalists reject evolution, particularly because of the intellectually dishonest ways in which they do it and not least because of the less educated people who are fooled by their obfuscation.

Has anyone actually watched the trailer on the documentary's website?

Here's the direct link for that:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/18657#comment-266343

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
They shot some

They shot some really beautiful footage. But then they open their mouths and ruin it all. It's amzing to me that people could be so stupid.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Discrediting evolution by

Discrediting evolution by attacking Darwin is just preaching to the choir though.  Evolution is accepted by just about everyone except the fundamentalists...and to fundamentalists Darwin is the personification of science debunking literalism.  It will make good copy and make these guys some money, but it won't change any minds on either side.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

bpwaddell
bpwaddell's picture
User is offlineOffline

Great link thank you ...

Apparantly the film is going to debunk Darwins'  theory of Evolution  by :-

Inviting the likes of John D Morris, who has a degree in Civil Engineering and a Ph.D in Geological Engineering. 

Hardly a qualifies him as a Biologist, if you want a bridge built or someone to find some oil for you he is your man. but to think
he can adequately interpret or even understand the significances of animal evolution is absurd.

and this is what the  site said about the Movie..

"Our film captures the wonder of the intriguing flora and fauna of the Galapagos"

What are they planning to use to debunk Darwin ?
perhaps they are going refute Darwins' Scientific data  by recording the the color of the flowers.
It seems they were able to establish the age of the planet by what they saw on the Island.

And the Team is

Joahua Philps      - 16 year old boy
Doug Philips        - Lawyer
Dr John Morris     - civil Engineering/Geological engineering
Dr. Tom ford       - Bio-Mechanics, Auburn University (unable to locate him Faculty/staff at Auburn University)
Jon erwin             - Cameraman
Andy erwin          - Cameraman 
Peter Bradrick      - Personnel Manager
Tony Hernandez   - boat crew

I wonder if the data they record from their visit will be available to other Scientists for further analysis ?

and thanks again for a greatlink

Smiling Pete

Josh Clarke
Superfan
Josh Clarke's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh the lulz

First off, debunking Darwin really isn't that big of a deal anymore. Things have changed a lot since his time, we have discovered genetics, radioactive dating, and many other methods of cross-checking that have all agreed with the theory. Darwin had a ton of insight for the data at his time, but the modern theory is one of the most solid theories in science. These people just don't care to look at the evidence, they should read "Why Evolution is True - Jerry A. Coyne" if they want a well written explanation of modern evolutionary theory.  I just wish these religitards would try debunking other theories, like gravity (it is actually the strong will of God holding us down, and his love keeps us from drifting forever into the abyss) or germ theory (God gives people sickness to test their faith). The laughs at their expense would be tremendous.

We pop theist like Orville Redenbacher!

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
sooo...do we have to throw

sooo...do we have to throw out chemistry because roger bacon fucked up with alchemy?  or physics because aristotle believed in four fundamental elements?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:sooo...do we

iwbiek wrote:

sooo...do we have to throw out chemistry because roger bacon fucked up with alchemy?  or physics because aristotle believed in four fundamental elements?

Sure, because religion is all about respect for authority figures, with God(s) as the ultimate authority. Real wisdom can only come from the source, ie God, or his nearest delegate (priest/pastor/bishop etc).

So the natural impulse is to attack the perceived Ultimate Authority on 'Darwinism', rather than try and seriously come to grips with the actual current substance of the 'Theory'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

WisdomVendor
WisdomVendor's picture
User is offlineOffline
Josh Clarke wrote:First off,

Josh Clarke wrote:

First off, debunking Darwin really isn't that big of a deal anymore. Things have changed a lot since his time, we have discovered genetics, radioactive dating, and many other methods of cross-checking that have all agreed with the theory. Darwin had a ton of insight for the data at his time, but the modern theory is one of the most solid theories in science. These people just don't care to look at the evidence, they should read "Why Evolution is True - Jerry A. Coyne" if they want a well written explanation of modern evolutionary theory.  I just wish these religitards would try debunking other theories, like gravity (it is actually the strong will of God holding us down, and his love keeps us from drifting forever into the abyss) or germ theory (God gives people sickness to test their faith). The laughs at their expense would be tremendous.

Didn't you hear about the fundies next project debunking newton regarding gravity,  they will want "intelligent falling" taught in physics classes.

My god has a hammer, jesus was nailed to a cross. Any questions?

msTake
User is offlineOffline
Josh Clarke wrote:....I just

Josh Clarke wrote:

....I just wish these religitards would try debunking other theories, like gravity (it is actually the strong will of God holding us down, and his love keeps us from drifting forever into the abyss)....

Giggle.

KriSak
User is offlineOffline
I haven't watched the

I haven't watched the documentary yet, but I can guess all they do is to attack Darwin's credibility. That's all Stein did.

But as Thunderf00t said, "Newton could have been a drug-using, Jew-killing, baby-eating psychopath. It wouldn't affect the validity of his theories." Obviously, the same applies for Darwin.

Also, the term "Darwinism" annoys me. It's just something that the creationists have invented in the dog-eat-dog contest that is religious debate. I mean, calling a person who believes in evolution a Darwinist, is the same as calling a person who believes in general relativity an Einsteinist or a person who believes in a gravity a Newtonist.

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Subdi Visions wrote:They

Subdi Visions wrote:

They shot some really beautiful footage. But then they open their mouths and ruin it all. It's amzing to me that people could be so stupid.

Hear hear. It's actually really depressing to think how much money people were willing to put behind this garbage to allow for such beautiful production values.