My intro

ShyGuy
ShyGuy's picture
User is offlineOffline
My intro

Hello everyone.  I recently completed the blasphemy challenge and just found out about this site.  I'm a 19 year old college student in southwest corner of Missouri.  I grew up as a catholic and went to a catholic grade school until 8th grade.  I attended a public high school, where I began experimenting and researching other religions.  By researching other religions, I realized how stupid they all seemed and eventually claimed myself an atheist.  I lost a few friends in the process and only just this year announced to my religious parents that I am atheist.  But I've been doing lots of research for the past 4 or 5 years into ahteism and my parents seem fine with it (only because I've really done my homework).  Anyways, I hope I can find some interesint people to talk to on here.

I don't believe in Zeus, Thor, or the Flying Spagetti Monster and I'm not afraid to go one god further.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
ShyGuy wrote:I'm a 19 year

ShyGuy wrote:
I'm a 19 year old college student in southwest corner of Missouri.

Ouch. 

I'm also 19, and I'm currently attending a university in the state of Washington.

Welcome to the Rational Response Squad!!!

By the way, nice mask. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Welcome young honest

Welcome young honest thinker.

Me and g-o-d- is all that is, the all 100% connected material energy/matter in eternal deterministic transition of no beginning, no master and therefore atheist as meaning not theistic. A no brainer I say.

Carl Sagan rather neatly summed it up as he mused, we are the god stuff consciously experiencing it self.

Humbling it is, to face what we are, with no separate caring sky daddy creator to save us from what we are. 

The great , Carl Sagan - "Pale Blue Dot" , 3 min   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, welcome. You seem to

Hey, welcome. You seem to have made a promising start in thinking for yourself. You should find some kindred spirits here...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi ShyGuy! You look alot

Hi ShyGuy! You look a lot like Guy Fawkes... Related? Eye-wink

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome ShyGuy!Hope you jump

Welcome ShyGuy!

Hope you jump right in and not live up to your name  Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Hey i'm 19 as well! Welcome!

Hey i'm 19 as well! Welcome! May the Rationality be with you!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
At age 57, I am still a

At age 57, I am still a child in mind, just fully willing to admit it, with nothing to prove, but just a bigger concern for my confused human race. 

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
IAGAY, we are all children

IAGAY, we are all children in this infinite universe with ever changing ideas and an ever more abundence of knowledge, and just think of it this way you are 57 years young.  The human race will always be a confusing thing, many times we act in irrational ways but they seem rational at the time. Sticking out tongue

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ShaitianWise and LUCKY you

Shaitian

Wise and LUCKY you are ... pass it on young friend ....

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Welcome. In recent years I

Welcome. In recent years I have run into a few people who call themselves atheists, I have no doubt they are, but if all you do is say "It doesn't make sense" without doing your homework, you are easy prey for a skilled snake oil salesman.

I have been an atheist since the mid 90s but wasn't really educated debunking theism, even a generic god concept and the omni arguments. I do get pissed at people who say that, but don't go the lenghth to KNOW why they hold that position.

Kudos to you for doing your homework. Anyone can call themselves an atheist, and mean it, but it takes education to be able to counter theistic claims.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog