Dispatches - Africa's Witch Children

davec
User is offlineOffline
Dispatches - Africa's Witch Children

First aired 12 nov 2008

Just watching it now, horrifying.

In Nigeria, christianity has absorbed many local traditions. One of these traditions is that witches cause all bad things that happen and it is usually the youngest child that is blamed for being a witch. (They become part of a coven and feed on human flesh apparently)

These children are beaten, burnt to death, tortured, buried alive, burned with acid etc etc

The local Bishop, (who makes serious money performing exorcisms) has killed 110 children for being witches.

All in the name of Jesus...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
My first question would be

My first question would be why hasn't he been arrested and tried for murder?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Questions.  Where in

Question: Where is more information about this available?  Link or something?

Sounds horrifying.  Not particularly surprising, however.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Found it HERE

Found it HERE

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
How lovely.

How lovely.

davec
User is offlineOffline
Sorry no link provided as it

Sorry no link provided as it has only just aired and I didn't record it.

It will probably be on tpb in a few days, I'll see if it gets reshown, but Renee's link is to the right show you may be able to watch it online there for the next couple of weeks.

As a word of warning, if you can't stomach images of children with nasty injuries or a dead body at the side of the road, don't watch while eating food. Sad

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Today of you go to a priest,

Today of you go to a priest, minister, rabbit, imam in the West and ask about witches they will answer in terms of MacBethian witches and assure you that is superstition. But if you talk about black magic, satan worship and if you do not accept obfuscations you will find they do believe as they are in the OLD TESTAMENT. Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. <P>

New let us follow Mr. Peabody into the wayback machine and join the first Christian missionaries in Africa and ask the same question. It was barely a century earlier that their countries of origin stopped executing witches. The Christianity carried by the early missionaries found itself in agreement with the natives on evil witches, Alyssa Milano excluded of course. <P>

Christianity did not absorb local traditions. It arrived in agreement with local traditions in the matter of witches.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: My

MattShizzle wrote:

My first question would be why hasn't he been arrested and tried for murder?

Probably because this is happening in Africa and the rules there are different from the rules here. No, really they are. A co-worker of mine spent a couple of years in Africa a way back and some of the stories that he came back with are pretty wild by our standards.

Just because the guy is called a bishop does not automatically make him an authority in one of the more mainstream branches of x-tianity. Heck but he might not even be christian, he could be one of the native religions that has adopted titles from christian missionaries.

Then too, the legal system is very different. Apparently, in the area where my co-worker was, they have tribal courts that have greater authority than the more westernized courts in the large cities. On case that was related to me was of some guy who murdered an old woman in the middle of the night. He was convicted by the westernized court system but he was able to appeal to the tribal court.

Well, the tribal court reversed the conviction on the grounds that the old woman was so ugly, that it was reasonable to assume that she was a demon. Apparently, they have demons running around in Africa causing trouble for people and it is alright to kill them when you see them.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=