Conservative Minority in Canada

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Conservative Minority in Canada

Canada recently had an election (as in about an hour and a half ago as of this posting..) and our current Prime Minister Stephen Harper conservative (the Canadian equivalent of the Republicians I guess..) has taken a minority government. At last glance, they need about 7 more seats to be a majority, (They have about 147 now..) so it might become a majority once the ballots are counted more accuratly.

And 2 ridings have officially fucked themselves over by electing independents ( I hope it's the marjiuana party just for lulz..)

My riding is also fucked electing a NDP. /facepalm.

The future's looking Tory blue.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I kind of figured it'd

I kind of figured it'd happen. At least it isn't a majority, and the opposition parties can finally get better leaders.
I'm not so sure electing an independent is a bad thing though.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lovely.  Fuck you Canada! 

Lovely.  Fuck you Canada!  I say that sincerely.  The densest population of Canadians (Greater Toronto) voted Liberal and unsurprisingly, instead of voting green, voted Liberal in an attempt to bolster the possibility of a Liberal minority.  The rest of Canada must really have thought that Dion was a pussy because the Libs lost almost 30 seats.

Fuck you Canada!  Specifically, fuck those Canadians who didn't turn out to vote.  That really fucking pisses me off.  Protest the ballot, but don't not turn out to vote.  Lowest voter turn out in history.  Great.  I'm so utterly disappointed.  Fuck!

/rant

In good news, the Greens got just over 6.8% of the vote, but no seats. 

Otherwise, I was really surprised to see that the party with the biggest gain (in voter percentage) was the damned NDP.  Like Kevin wonders what the Bloc would do with a government, I wonder what the NDP would do... and then I shudder.  We're all lucky, for a change, that the percentage of votes cast nationally has little to do with how many seats a party gets.  We see the Conservatives with -1.36% of the vote and 19 more seats in the House over 2006.  We see the NDP with +0.72% of the vote and 8 more seats over 2006.  The Liberals with -3.99% of the vote and 27 less seats than 2006.  And let's not forget the Bloc which with -0.57% and 1 less seat, but I don't know which seat it was that flipped.

Anyone know what that means?  Those smaller rural ridings fucked us all over!  Fucked us up and fucking down and elected Steven Harper.  Them and Alberta (minus the only NDP riding in Alberta, Edmonton-Strathcona... which does so much good).

/rant for real

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in the Calgary

I live in the Calgary Southwest riding (Harper's riding). I was killing myself laughing when I saw candidates for both the Libertarian party and the Christian Heritage Party on the ticket.

It really takes the pressure off voting when you know that all your vote will do is add campaign dollars to the party you select.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey!  I voted Green in my

Hey!  I voted Green in my riding (the riding with the densest population in the country - Toronto Centre), even though it is securely Liberal.  I don't mind adding campaign dollars to the Greens, though it would be nice if my vote actually helped to elect someone.  I can dream of proportional representation, can't I?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Hey!  I

Thomathy wrote:

Hey!  I voted Green in my riding (the riding with the densest population in the country - Toronto Centre), even though it is securely Liberal.  I don't mind adding campaign dollars to the Greens, though it would be nice if my vote actually helped to elect someone.  I can dream of proportional representation, can't I?

It is frustrating to watch the Bloc get 7% of the total votes in the country and get 50 seats, while the Greens get 8% and no seats.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Greens got 6.8% and the

The Greens got 6.8% (and 0 seats) and the Bloc got 9.97% (and 50 seats) of the national vote, but your point stands.  That is frustrating.

BigUniverse wrote,

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
election hang over

I added to someones post about slackers with the proviso  "I vote ergo I bitch", Canada just had the lowest voter turn out in a federal election,  can  you all please read my warnings about voter apothey.

If you want to save our prescious democracy you have to take PART IN IT,   If only a small percentage of people bother to vote----based on polls; ---which are based on a .01% of the population then we do not have  a Democracy.

I personally was hoping for a Tory Majority.   The Conservitives  (tories)  picked up twenty seats but are still  a minority government;  they have 146  vs.  155 for a majority.   Trust me when I say Prime Minister Harper is Pissed off at this result.  far more then me,  (he's arrogent  I'm only irretating) .

I predict;   in three (3) years time  we in Canada will have another election;   with three  different party leaders.  Harper;  whats-his-name of the liberals  and whos-ya-mah-call-it of the ndp,  will all be replaced.   Yet as always the good-ole'  U.S. of Eh!  wont even notice the difference. 

Yanks   if you think   Canada  makes no difference;;;;   then remember those Grest American Icons;.... America's sweatheart (Mary Pickford) Capt.Kirk (William Shatner) & Scottie (James Dohan);  The guy who invented basketball (James Nasmith), Big Papa Cartwright (Lorne Green); Americas two favorite funny men (Leslie Nielson   & Jim Carry)  America's favorie intellects  (John Kennith Galbreith  & Marshell MacLuhean).   I only mention these people because they were all born and raised in CANADA.

But I didn't mention Morley Safer, Dan Ackroyd,  Lorne Michaels, Paul Anka, Brenden Frasier, Martin Short, Doug ,Henning, Gorden Lightfoot,  Robert Goulet,  John Roberts, Alex Trebek,  Micheal J.Fox, John Candy, Dave Thomas,....... yet I do believe you get the idea,

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
WTF are Mary Pickford

WTF are Mary Pickford (America's SWEATheart?? ieeeww! sounds nasty!) and John Kennith Galbreith  & Marshell MacLuhean??? I also wouldn't say Leslie Nielson and Jim Carey are our favorite funnymen (neither have had success lately. ) And if you mean John Roberts in the Supreme Court that would be an argument for nuking Canada.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:   The rest

Thomathy wrote:

The rest of Canada must really have thought that Dion was a pussy because the Libs lost almost 30 seats.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think an NDP minority

I think an NDP minority would be a lot better than a Conservative one.

Thomathy wrote:

Patience my friend. I have seen remarkable gains by the Greens over every one of the last three elections. They actually were invited to the debates this time around. Their future is almost certainly going to improve.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.