The More You Learn About Palin, the Scarier She Gets

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
The More You Learn About Palin, the Scarier She Gets

Quote:

Sept. 15, 2008 | WASILLA, Alaska -- The Wasilla Assembly of God, the evangelical church where Sarah Palin came of age, was still charged with excitement on Sunday over Palin's sudden ascendance. Pastor Ed Kalnins warned his congregation not to talk with any journalists who might have been lurking in the pews -- and directly warned this reporter not to interview any of his flock. But Kalnins and other speakers at the service reveled in Palin's rise to global stardom.

It confirmed, they said, that God was making use of Wasilla. "She will take our message to the world!" rejoiced an Assembly of God youth ministry leader, as the church band rocked the high-vaulted wooden building with its electric gospel.

That is what scares the Rev. Howard Bess. A retired American Baptist minister who pastors a small congregation in nearby Palmer, Wasilla's twin town in Alaska's Matanuska Valley, Bess has been tangling with Palin and her fellow evangelical activists ever since she was a Wasilla City Council member in the 1990s. Recently, Bess again found himself in the spotlight with Palin, when it was reported that his 1995 book, "Pastor, I Am Gay," was among those Palin tried to have removed from the Wasilla Public Library when she was mayor.

"She scares me," said Bess. "She's Jerry Falwell with a pretty face.

"At this point, people in this country don't grasp what this person is all about. The key to understanding Sarah Palin is understanding her radical theology."

Full article here: http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/15/bess/index.html

Please read the whole thing, but I'll give you a teaser.  Bess and Palin were fighting because Bess thinks maybe homosexuals ought to be treated like human beings instead of vilified and persecuted.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
If her anti-gay views become

If her anti-gay views become an issue her handlers will simply coach her to equivicate and fall back on political double-talk,  blah blah, my actions were taken out of context, etc.   Heck, Obama's 20 something years attending a church where black racism was espoused from the pulpit didn't seem to do any long term damage.  He just made some wishy-washy statement repudiating his former pastor and then moved on to the next issue.

BTW, Marion Barry, one of the most corrupt American politicians the world has ever seen, got re-elected to office after he was convicted for smoking crack with a prostitute in a Washington hotel.  American politics is filled with sleaze.  It's nothing new.

arkham1999
arkham1999's picture
User is offlineOffline
If anybody is interested in

If anybody is interested in some the inner working of her church, here is a video I dug up of some of there activities.  Scary stuff, very scary

http://theimmoralminority.blogspot.com/2008/09/sarah-palin-her-wasilla-church-and-the.html

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
As if we didn't have enough

As if we didn't have enough of rethugs twisting morality Palin and her lawyers see nothing wrong with what she did to get rid of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. The bipartisan legislative panel concluded she violated ethics laws as "The investigator's report states Palin's efforts to get Wooten fired broke a state ethics law that bars public officials from pursuing personal interest through official action."

In response the Palin lawyers claims since she got no financial gain or money it was not an abuse of power.

See CNN article here.

In other words its OK to use your office to pursue a personal agenda and get even with those who have harmed your family in some way in the past as long as you don't make any money from the effort. Unfucking real.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:As

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

As if we didn't have enough of rethugs twisting morality Palin and her lawyers see nothing wrong with what she did to get rid of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. The bipartisan legislative panel concluded she violated ethics laws as "The investigator's report states Palin's efforts to get Wooten fired broke a state ethics law that bars public officials from pursuing personal interest through official action."

In response the Palin lawyers claims since she got no financial gain or money it was not an abuse of power.

See CNN article here.

In other words its OK to use your office to pursue a personal agenda and get even with those who have harmed your family in some way in the past as long as you don't make any money from the effort. Unfucking real.

I guess Hitler gassing millions of ethnic minorities wasn't an abuse of power either because he didn't make any money from it. Kooky.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I guess Hitler gassing millions of ethnic minorities wasn't an abuse of power either because he didn't make any money from it. Kooky.

According to the rethug mentality it would apparently be perfectly fine. Considering this, since she is an Evangelical wacko fundie and we are not Christians it wouldn't be an abuse of power if she acted against us if she had the power to do so.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
palin is a fascist, pure and

palin is a fascist, pure and simple.  scared people always go running to fascists, particularly the petty bourgeoisie, of which america mostly consists.  now that the financial crisis is really hitting home, i'm actually starting to worry about obama's chances (not that i think obama is that great).  america wants a fundy to save them from hurricanes and terrorists and stock market crashes.  i don't care what kind of report is coming out on palin that may damage her rep, never underestimate the fundy vote.

america has basically become the negative image of iran or saudi arabia.  we're totally ruled by religion.

eugene debs is spinning in his grave.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:palin is a

iwbiek wrote:

palin is a fascist, pure and simple.  scared people always go running to fascists, particularly the petty bourgeoisie, of which america mostly consists.  now that the financial crisis is really hitting home, i'm actually starting to worry about obama's chances (not that i think obama is that great).  america wants a fundy to save them from hurricanes and terrorists and stock market crashes.  i don't care what kind of report is coming out on palin that may damage her rep, never underestimate the fundy vote.

america has basically become the negative image of iran or saudi arabia.  we're totally ruled by religion.

Agreed Palin is a fascist and as most Conservative republicans of today a complete hypocrite. They say they are for less government interferance in your life but this only pertains to taxes, finances, and investments. When it comes to individual rights and liberties they are first in line to regulate your life. They want to determine what is right for you to do whether it be marriage, euthanasia, drug use, gambling, prostitution or abortion.

Obama has a far better chance of winning than you realize. I live in Florida and even a racist ex-girlfriend of mine is going to vote for Obama.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's a clip of Palin

Here's a clip of Palin getting booed at a Philadelphia Flyers game.  What, no batteries?  You're getting soft on me, Philly fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TgDanmWkg

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm so proud of my fellow

I'm so proud of my fellow Flyers fans for booing that bitch! Go Flyers!!

All those kids she has, her pussy must be the size of the Lincoln Tunnel.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:"She

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:
"She scares me," said Bess. "She's Jerry Falwell with a pretty face.

Do you want psycho-clown in the white house?

Palin

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote:Here's a

Roisin Dubh wrote:

Here's a clip of Palin getting booed at a Philadelphia Flyers game.  What, no batteries?  You're getting soft on me, Philly fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TgDanmWkg

Not only did she get booed... a couple fans threw crap out onto the ice as well. (What about the batteries, btw?) I was lucky enough to be off work so I was at home watching several NHL games that night....opening night of the new season for many of the teams. I had just flipped channels quick enough to see her walking onto the rink and waving. The loudness of the jeers caught me a bit off guard...I expected a better mix of cheers thrown in.

Kate Smith would have been horrified. Too bad!  

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That wasn't Philly, it was

That wasn't Philly, it was another city (forget which) and baseball, not hockey where batteries were thrown. Still, Philly is the only city where they actually had a courtroom and jail IN the stadium! Here's hoping the Flyers win the Stanley Cup this year! Go Danny Briere! Go Martin Biron!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:That

MattShizzle wrote:

That wasn't Philly, it was another city (forget which) and baseball, not hockey where batteries were thrown. Still, Philly is the only city where they actually had a courtroom and jail IN the stadium! Here's hoping the Flyers win the Stanley Cup this year! Go Danny Briere! Go Martin Biron!

Wow... sports fans throwing batteries?  First time I've heard of this one. I know they used to throw different things out on the ice depending on which city. In Detroit, they still toss a baby octopus/squid out now and again. Florida Panthers fans used to throw hundreds of rubber rats down on the ice after a really big playoff goal was scored by their team. Sometimes it's stuffed animals or frisbees. Of course in all cities, they toss hats/caps on the rink when one player scores three goals in a game. Funny stuff.

BTW Matt, the Flyers need their D-men to get healthy again and real soon. Think they have 3 or 4 key defensemen out with injuries right now.