Chino, California Councilmembers Want to Do Something Stupid

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Chino, California Councilmembers Want to Do Something Stupid

Why do Christards insist on doing this shit?

Chino weighs possibility of displaying 'In God We Trust'

Neil Nisperos, Staff WriterArticle Launched: 08/26/2008 08:19:39 PM PDT

var requestedWidth = 0; if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } CHINO - The city is studying the possibility of displaying "In God We Trust" in its Council Chambers.

Councilwoman Eunice Ulloa directed staff last week to prepare more information about the issue to bring back for City Council discussion and possible approval or denial.

A council date on the matter is still to be determined.

Until then, Ulloa and Councilman Glenn Duncan said Monday they support displaying the phrase "In God We Trust" where the council meets.

"I think it's a good idea," Ulloa said. "It's the motto of our country and it's on our coins and on our buildings. I think we do need to show support."

Duncan agreed.

"I believe that our country is founded on freedom of religions and is founded with the idea this country operates under God, and I don't think we should change that. I think we're becoming too secular as a nation."

He added, "I believe very strongly in respecting everybody's religious views, but I don't think respecting somebody else's religion precludes you from practicing your religion."

Congress approved "In God We Trust" as the national motto in 1956.

Councilmen Tom Haughey, Earl Elrod, and Mayor Dennis Yates said they are waiting on more information about the idea from staff before commenting.

The Chino discussion on the matter began after a national nonprofit Bakersfield-based group, In God We Trust - America sent a letter to the city of Chino about its movement to

encourage and support cities to display the phrase in their council chambers.

Jacquie Sullivan, who heads the organization, said the movement has already seen 37 California cities approve of displaying the phrase since the group began its efforts in 2002.

Annie Laurie Gaylor of the national nonprofit Freedom from Religion Foundation, said support for the displays is a trend that has disturbed members of her organization, which promotes the separation of church and state.

"The problem with the motto is it's not accurate," Gaylor said. "If it were accurate, it would have to say In God Some of Us Trust."

She added, "We have a secular constitution that is supposed to separate religion from government."

Attorney Michael Newdow, an advocate for the separation of church and state, argued at the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals last December in favor of removing both "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" from the nation's money.

Gaylor said a decision in this case is expected "any day now," and her group is anxiously waiting the findings.

Sullivan said her organization will keep encouraging cities to get on board.

"There are those who want to remove God from everything, which would be changing the history of our country, because God has been important to the framers and the history of our country," she said.

Sullivan said there have been no legal challenges against any city that has displayed the phrase in its council chambers.

This idiot Glenn Duncan thinks the US is becoming "too secular. " He ought to move to Saudi Arabia or Iran then if he wants to live somewhere that isn't secular at all. He should go see Europe. Better yet, try reading the constitution. These assholes piss me off.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
And there have been no legal

And there have been no legal challenges against any city displaying it? That needs to change.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whaaaaaat?

The Motto of the U.S. of  A., Eh? is "E pluribus unim"  (Out of meny comes one) , that bit of reality comes from a Canadian.

Did that dingbat Gaylor realy say "That god was important to the framers and history of our country".  Why didn't Gaylor take up American history in school?   God was of no importence to the men who wrote the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Decleration of Independence  etc......  even less importence to the Generals & sargents who faught for independence.... "Don't tread on me!" -  "No taxation without representation!" , "Give me liberty or give me death!"  - "If it's war they want then war they get!"  these are the slogans of the revolution where the eff is god in any of this?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That was Sullivan, not

That was Sullivan, not Gaylor. Annie Gaylor is copresident of the FFRF (and was a guest on an early RRS show. )

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:That was

MattShizzle wrote:

That was Sullivan, not Gaylor. Annie Gaylor is copresident of the FFRF (and was a guest on an early RRS show. )

Sorry,  far too ticked off to think straight.  I grew up in New England  the revolution was taught as sacrosant, even the catholic school I attended for four years didn't try to put god into the equasion of the American revolution;  it simply wasn't there.

WHY IN HELL DO YOU THINK THEY ARE CALLED THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They cheat.But yeah, besides

They cheat.

But yeah, besides the constitution these people should read the treaty of Tripoli - approved unanimously at the time by congress, written while Washington was president and signed by John Adams - particualarly the part that says "The government of the United States is not in any way based on the Christian religion. "

I noticed one of the Google ad links is "History of God. " That could be written on the paper inside a fortune cookie - "Never existed. The end. "

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I almost wonder if the other

I almost wonder if the other ones who were "awaiting discussion" are really just thinking "Let's just hold this off and hope these assholes forget about this shit in the meantime. " This does piss me off - it's not about them practicing their religion - they don't need a sign in a government building (which belongs to ALL the taxpayers in the city, not just the montheists) they have plenty of churches and their homes where they can put up whatever sign they want. This is about them trying to be "in your face" to those of us who don't believe in their mythology.