Is it really that hard to tell when something's made up?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it really that hard to tell when something's made up?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I sure hope that one was. It

I sure hope that one was. It is hard to tell. Christians say such stupid things - sometimes things they say are actually stupider than what some of the things said by the parodies would be if they were serious.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nah, IIRC, this originally

Nah, IIRC, this originally came from the Creationist Museum.  I am not certain, but I think this is from one of the souvenir coloring books.  Maybe someone can verify that for me.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now, I don't know whether to

Now, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. That is terrifyingly ludicrous.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Now, I don't

Eloise wrote:

it's fucking BRILLIANT.  honestly, how do they get their ideas?  i would pay for that book.  then get absolutely blasted.  what a night that would be.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
ya gotta lurve the sword

ya gotta lurve the sword imagery in that sun, not to mention that christian cowboy like depiction of jebus riding that raptor dinosaur. If it weren't for the long hair and full beard, the dewd would look like Tom Sellik or The Marlboro Man

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

magilum
User is offlineOffline
In our pedantry, all we can

In our pedantry, all we can do is snicker. But in doing so, we fail to appreciate the vague, impressionistic view of reality most people have. It's not so much whether it's right or wrong, it's just that it doesn't threaten the ideas they're used to, and so it seems right, or feels right. Without knowing it, they're practicing a severe kind of relativism; where recognition of basic facts takes a back seat to taking sides.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Advertizements

Unfortunately my computer screen is only showing me part of the picture, there are advertisements on the right side of the screen over lapping the picture.  Now I'm sad.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Rejoice greatly, O daughter

"Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem! Lo, your king comes to you; triumphant and victorious is he, humble and riding on an Iguanadon, prepared to fuck shit up and make of the Sadducees his soap-grabbin' shower bitches." 

I have to be honest here.  If they showed me a picture of Jesus riding a dinosaur when I was five years old, I would be a dumbass trying to smuggle Bibles into China e'en now.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where????y

I saw the cartoon earlier,  now I can't. Was it removed   or is my comp on the fritz?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks, please don't be

Boon Docks, please don't be sad sister. Trust RRS and download and use Firefox as your main browser. It's quick and easy, and easy to use, and it won't change your present computer. It will just give you the better browser option.

I am guessing that your problem is that you are using "Internet Explore" as your internet surfing browser. IE sucks ....

This message is for all PC users. Fuck IE , go Firefox. Read up on it in google etc ....

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Let's clone dinosaurs, must find usable DNA, I want to ride one, yippy eee.   Besides, reptile meat is much more healthy .... if they were in fact cold blooded ????

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=were+dinosaurs+cold+blooded&btnG=Search

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't see anything there,

I don't see anything there, but I am using firefox right now. Oh well, I really wanted to see cowboy Jesus and raptors.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:In our

magilum wrote:
In our pedantry, all we can do is snicker. But in doing so, we fail to appreciate the vague, impressionistic view of reality most people have. It's not so much whether it's right or wrong, it's just that it doesn't threaten the ideas they're used to, and so it seems right, or feels right. Without knowing it, they're practicing a severe kind of relativism; where recognition of basic facts takes a back seat to taking sides.
+1 QFT

Religion and faith are emotional issues, and do not respond well to rational debate. Morality is the important issue, and reality will be re-arranged in any way necessary to reconcile that all-important world view.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Nah, IIRC,

Hambydammit wrote:
Nah, IIRC, this originally came from the Creationist Museum.  I am not certain, but I think this is from one of the souvenir coloring books.  Maybe someone can verify that for me.
I did some looking around, and found this: It's a parody.

Damn Poe's Law, I found it totally believable.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Nope

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Boon Docks, please don't be sad sister. Trust RRS and download and use Firefox as your main browser. It's quick and easy, and easy to use, and it won't change your present computer. It will just give you the better browser option.

I am guessing that your problem is that you are using "Internet Explore" as your internet surfing browser. IE sucks ....

This message is for all PC users. Fuck IE , go Firefox. Read up on it in google etc ....

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Let's clone dinosaurs, must find usable DNA, I want to ride one, yippy eee.   Besides, reptile meat is much more healthy .... if they were in fact cold blooded ????

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=were+dinosaurs+cold+blooded&btnG=Search

If Jormungander is using fire fox right now and he can't see anything, and I am using internet explorer with a half picture, let me think...  this computing sucks.  

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah the PC has many

Yeah the PC has many problems , especially IE surfing. I am am no expert on anything .... Firefox however works way better than IE , and this RRS is is proof that Firefox is a better surfing browser, and it's easy ....

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Yeah

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Yeah the PC has many problems , especially IE surfing. I am am no expert on anything .... Firefox however works way better than IE , and this RRS is is proof that Firefox is a better surfing browser, and it's easy ....

Sorry, IA GAY.... I find that IE7 and Fox3 are both equal on my com puter.

If anything, Firefox is ever so slightly slower to respond AND the images on my monitor are discernibly more fuzzy. The slower is hardly noticeable but the fuzzy is a minor headache. I've been using both for some time now...ever since I finished building my new PC. Also, regardless of which browser I use, I've never had an image from RRS get "chopped off", as some have described.

Running with: Core 2 Duo Processor at 3.0 GHz each, 4 GB ram (2X2 Mushkin), Nvidia 8800 GT video card, 37" Sharp monitor, etc etc. etc.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
As to the OP, I've seen that

As to the OP, I've seen that dino savior coloring page a few years ago. Funny stuff. But yeah, occasionally it is hard to tell the real fundie $hit from the parody and funny stuff. Well....  it is for me, anyway.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wonko wrote:I AM GOD AS YOU

Wonko wrote:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

If anything, Firefox is ever so slightly slower to respond AND the images on my monitor are discernibly more fuzzy. The slower is hardly noticeable but the fuzzy is a minor headache. I've been using both for some time now...ever since I finished building my new PC. Also, regardless of which browser I use, I've never had an image from RRS get "chopped off", as some have described.

Running with: Core 2 Duo Processor at 3.0 GHz each, 4 GB ram (2X2 Mushkin), Nvidia 8800 GT video card, 37" Sharp monitor, etc etc. etc.

not everyone on here uses Win XP or Vista, the only OS's that can run IE7

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:Wonko wrote:I

Kay Cat wrote:

Wonko wrote:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

not everyone on here uses Win XP or Vista, the only OS's that can run IE7

I was comparing IE7 vs. Firefox3 on my system. However, to be completely accurate IE7 can also be used on Windows Sever 2003 with service pack 1, and you must have service pack 2 for IE7 to work on WinXP.

The main point was my response to IAGAY who was claiming that Fox was working way better than IE  (he didn't even mention IE7).

Perhaps the majority here at RRS find this to be true, if indeed the OS they are using is a moldy but a goodie, but I have not seen problems or big differences with my setup.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The ads shouldn't be

The ads shouldn't be overlapping the page even if you have the screen set to very low resolutions.  I'd say most likely something either got cached badly at the ISP's end, or you've got adware in your system putting badly sized ads in to this page.  Find two programs called "AdAware" and "Spybot Search & Destroy", install, update, and run a full scan.  Alternately try refreshing while holding down the control or shift keys (I can't recall which it is).  If it was just happening to one browser I would say it could be corrupt settings, but with two I doubt that's what it is.

Anybody running a windows box should actually do the steps I layed out above, computer novices and gurus alike.  I do tech support for a living and before switching to mac I used to do it every 3 months on my own machines.  Silent drive-by installs do happen, even if you know what you're doing.  They're starting to happen on macs too now and I'm currently looking for decent software with which I'll be able to do the same things.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Thanks,

Hambydammit wrote:

Thanks, I needed a new avatar

peterweal
peterweal's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you can't see the whole

If you can't see the whole post, simply right-click on it and select 'encoding'...then choose 'right-to-left document'.

That should expose the whole post for you.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's another in that same

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Fire wrote:Thanks, I needed

Fire wrote:

Thanks, I needed a new avatar

And an excellent one it turned out to be!  Good eye.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, if Kwanza can be

Well, if Kwanza can be started by an X felon and Scientology can be started by a science fiction writer it shouldn't shock anyone if 1,000 years from now  a religious sect worships Harry Potter as real.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Eloise

iwbiek wrote:

Eloise wrote:

it's fucking BRILLIANT.  honestly, how do they get their ideas?  i would pay for that book.  then get absolutely blasted.  what a night that would be.

I'd buy it for the entertainment value alone...like I did this book:

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Religion and

JillSwift wrote:

Religion and faith are emotional issues, and do not respond well to rational debate. Morality is the important issue, and reality will be re-arranged in any way necessary to reconcile that all-important world view. 

How right you are.  I think we need to remind ourselves of this often.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:iwbiek

Iruka Naminori wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Eloise wrote:

I'd buy it for the entertainment value alone...like I did this book:

Holy $hit !!!!

Mr. Spock SMILING ???!!!

I want this kooky book. Bad!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I love that Mr. Spock , 

I love that Mr. Spock ,  and yeah I never knew IE 7 , but IE has always fucked with me bad, so I left .... Maybe going Linux next , Make these PC's trouble free ....

Clone dinosaurs , we need food ! 

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:I love

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

I love that Mr. Spock ,  and yeah I never knew IE 7 , but IE has always fucked with me bad, so I left .... Maybe going Linux next , Make these PC's trouble free ....

Clone dinosaurs , we need food ! 

you might want to try Free BSD along with Linux. It's a bit more stable and uses much of the same software.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Kay, I'll be looking

Thanks Kay, I'll be looking into all this eventually, and created a folder of related info.

Damn PC problems are a headache. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD#Linux_compatibility