Big Foot Found?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Big Foot Found?

According to a news story out of Georgia s body of a Bigfoot has been found. They plan to hold a news conference on Friday in Palo Alto as they are affiliated with the Bigfoot tracker from Redwood City.

See the story from KTVU Here.

The bigfoottrackers claim they will present DNA evidence at the news conference. See their website here.

Supposedly the body is of a 500 lb male 7' 7" tall. Sounds like a Georgia boy to me.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it April already?

Is it April already?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tall

The worlds tallest woman died earlier today, she was 7'7" tall;   is this a coincidence?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Lost & found

Jeffrick wrote:

The worlds tallest woman died earlier today, she was 7'7" tall;   is this a coincidence?

That's just mean !!           

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why isn't this on CNN...why

Why isn't this on CNN...why isn't the government involved. I can't wait to see this on Friday.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was recently a

There was recently a message, that scientists examines a bits of fur, which doesn't resemble any known living animal. It was found somewhere on East, in an area where Yetti was seen.
I wonder if there will ever be any conclusion of such messages, they mostly seem to appear and then be forgotten.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tend to distrust websites

I tend to distrust websites that use caps to emphasize their points.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:I tend to

Kay Cat wrote:

I tend to distrust websites that use caps to emphasize their points.

i distrust caps period.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now we have a claim from

Now we have a claim from Texas that the 'chupacabra' has been found

READ IT HERE

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Favorite

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

READ IT HERE

Scientific American, my favorite magazine.  But what is this small dog, or coyote sized creature ?  I haven't seen a sciam issue for quite some time.  Maybe I should renew my subscription, huh !!

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The website in the OP is

The website in the OP is down.  Apparently, they've exceeded their bandwidth limit.  I call hoax for no special reason other than that I want to be right before they release their amazing find on Friday.  I wonder what kind of bullshit it really is.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

According to a news story out of Georgia s body of a Bigfoot has been found. They plan to hold a news conference on Friday in Palo Alto as they are affiliated with the Bigfoot tracker from Redwood City.

See the story from KTVU Here.

The bigfoottrackers claim they will present DNA evidence at the news conference. See their website here.

Supposedly the body is of a 500 lb male 7' 7" tall. Sounds like a Georgia boy to me.

Either A) They will be completely discredited and ridiculed forever or B)  Major news event.

I'm interested to see what happens no matter which way it goes.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Either A) They

Watcher wrote:

Either A) They will be completely discredited and ridiculed forever or B)  Major news event.

Or B), and then A). That's my guess.

I hope I'm wrong, though. Please be bigfoot, please be bigfoot....

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn. It seems it's already

Damn. It seems it's already been debunked.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Watcher

nigelTheBold wrote:

Watcher wrote:

Or B), and then A). That's my guess.

I hope I'm wrong, though. Please be bigfoot, please be bigfoot....

It may already be developing into B) as their website has been overloaded. (Low cost web hosting)

On their website which you can't acces right now, they claimed there were other big foots watching as they recovered the body. Funny, no photos of that though.

A) may not be far away

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

READ IT HERE

I saw the video last night. Looked like a doberman to me.

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:I saw the video

nutxaq wrote:
I saw the video last night. Looked like a doberman to me.
Yeah, a somewhat emaciated, mangy Doberman.

I wonder why folks are so quick to slap labels like "Chupacabra" on the first unusual specimen to trot by?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Damn. It

nigelTheBold wrote:

Damn. It seems it's already been debunked.

I knew it, just because it involved Georgia boys. (I'm from Florida)

See here admits its a hoax.

See here, forum on hoax.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

READ IT HERE

Cuero? my bet is they're making bathtub gin like Miss Hannigan in Annie.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Chupa is just another

The Chupa is just another dog or coyote with mange. It doesn't even fit the standard description of a Chupa (bipedal, huge shiny eyes, reptilian skin, etc).

The bigfoot thingy... well, my first instinct was to guess it was a viral marketing scheme, given they planned for a Friday conference. But now that it's been debunked... *shrug*.

We're going to all have to go on a bigfoot hunt some day. You know that, right? Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:We're

Kevin R Brown wrote:

We're going to all have to go on a bigfoot hunt some day. You know that, right? Sticking out tongue

I have been planning that for a long time. I figure it'll be a great family outing, going out to some place where bigfoot has been spotted many times, and walking around exploring.

Not that I expect to find evidence of bigfoot. It'd just be a lot of fun.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Georgia

I've seen several websites for big foot in Oregon, but not Georgia.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
It seems this won't go away.

It seems this won't go away. The news conference is still on for Friday.

See interview from Fox News Here of Biscardi.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
These are the most retarded

These are the most retarded people I've seen in decades.  Fuck them.  Hope you had a couple days of fun, "Bigfoot trackers".  Now you are labeled as idiots for all eternity.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
"Bigfoot trackers dot com. 

"Bigfoot trackers dot com.  We are the best..."

What?  Its a fucking competition?  What?

Our scientist "Van Buren"  Ok, that name doesn't sound fake.

"Scientist Van Buren:  Missing link..."  What?  What the fuck would a bigfoot creature have to do with human evolution?

Fuck, everything about it is retarded.

Summary of the supposed "scientist":  Samples, samples, pathology, fossil record, samples...

He has the intellect of a 10 year old.

People never cease to surprise me with how stupid they can be.  If I start to feel bad about myself I just look around to see what all the people around me are doing.  Then I don't feel so bad.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I was wanting to bet my

I was wanting to bet my pension that this was a hoax, but I don't have a pension.

..... But I do bet my eternal, or what ever the fuck I am, that Jesus was no more god than you and I  ..... Call me crazy , but I AM 100% positive .... Me god !   

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is, or was, the

This is, or was, the supposed bigfoot body. Looks like a bigfoot costume chillin in the fridge. I bet most have seen some of these already but I have been at work so just found them.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/ga-gorilla-pic/

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
It is bullcrap and these are

It is bullcrap and these are a bunch of hucksters aiming for the spotlight.

It is a costume and nothing more. These assholes are playing to the superstitions of the public.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
News conferance on ktvu.com

The news conferance went as promoted at Noon PDT. The link to KTVU.com here is the conferance, about 50 min. See link here.

They released what sounds to be inconclusive DNA results and 2 photos. They probably will be on the web in the next few minutes. Supposedly Meaghan from Fox News will be the first media vulture to see the actual body sometime soon.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Photos given out are

Photos given out are inconclusive. One photo shows what is supposed to be a bigfoot in the forest, the resolution is bad and you can't tell if it's real or a guy in a costume. The other photo, again poor quality,  supposedly shows the mouth and tongue of the dead bigfoot.

See here for a link to a site with photos.

They claim they are being careful because they have found the equivalent to the world's largest diamond, however their actions are so infantile at times its hard to take it serious. The secretive method they have chosen just smacks of hoax. If real you just haul it into the local sheriff's office call some real scientists, prove it and go on Oprah and the rest of the talk shows. The creature then is named after you and you make money from books, film etc. Northern Georgia has roads about every mile so their claim is a bit hard to accept.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

Photos given out are inconclusive. One photo shows what is supposed to be a bigfoot in the forest, the resolution is bad and you can't tell if it's real or a guy in a costume. The other photo, again poor quality,  supposedly shows the mouth and tongue of the dead bigfoot.

See here for a link to a site with photos.

They claim they are being careful because they have found the equivalent to the world's largest diamond, however their actions are so infantile at times its hard to take it serious. The secretive method they have chosen just smacks of hoax. If real you just haul it into the local sheriff's office call some real scientists, prove it and go on Oprah and the rest of the talk shows. The creature then is named after you and you make money from books, film etc. Northern Georgia has roads about every mile so their claim is a bit hard to accept.

not only that, the area these guys are in has been developed and inhabited by Europeans and European descendants for over 400 years. Why isn't there any record of James Oglethorpe and his bunch encountering even legends of such a creature?

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

With the level of technology these days there's absolutely no excuse for the "best" bigfoot trackers to provide grainy pictures as evidence. That's an automatic DQ.

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Patience

Anyone smell a rat yet ?

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks

Boon Docks wrote:

Anyone smell a rat yet ?

nope, what I smell smells more like possum, and I'm not talking George Jones.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Bigfoot is part possum and part human!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26244241/

'Bigfoot' fails DNA test

One sample was human and the other was 96 percent from an opossum

By Clare Baldwinupdated 10:55 p.m. ET, Sat., Aug. 16, 2008 function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633545385004170000');

PALO ALTO, California - Bigfoot remains as elusive as ever.

Results from tests on genetic material from alleged remains of one of the mythical half-ape and half-human creatures, made public at a news conference on Friday held after the claimed discovery swept the Internet, failed to prove its existence.

Its spread was fueled by a photograph of a hairy heap, bearing a close resemblance to a shaggy full-body gorilla costume, stuffed into a container resembling a refrigerator.

One of the two samples of DNA said to prove the existence of the Bigfoot came from a human and the other was 96 percent from an opossum, according to Curt Nelson, a scientist at the University of Minnesota who performed the DNA analysis.

Bigfoot creatures are said to live in the forests of the U.S. Pacific Northwest. An opossum is a marsupial about the size of a house cat.

Results of the DNA tests were revealed in an e-mail from Nelson and distributed at the Palo Alto, California, news conference held by Tom Biscardi, host of a weekly online radio show about the Bigfoot.

Also present were Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, the two who say they discovered the Bigfoot corpse while hiking in the woods of northern Georgia. They also are co-owners of a company that offers Bigfoot merchandise.

Despite the dubious photo and the commercial interests of the alleged discoverers, the Bigfoot claim drew interest from Australia to Europe and even The New York Times.

Biscardi said the DNA samples may not have been taken correctly and may have been contaminated, and that he would proceed with an autopsy of the alleged Bigfoot remains, currently in a freezer at an undisclosed location.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26244241/

'Bigfoot' fails DNA test

One sample was human and the other was 96 percent from an opossum

By Clare Baldwinupdated 10:55 p.m. ET, Sat., Aug. 16, 2008 function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633545385004170000');

PALO ALTO, California - Bigfoot remains as elusive as ever.

Results from tests on genetic material from alleged remains of one of the mythical half-ape and half-human creatures, made public at a news conference on Friday held after the claimed discovery swept the Internet, failed to prove its existence.

Its spread was fueled by a photograph of a hairy heap, bearing a close resemblance to a shaggy full-body gorilla costume, stuffed into a container resembling a refrigerator.

One of the two samples of DNA said to prove the existence of the Bigfoot came from a human and the other was 96 percent from an opossum, according to Curt Nelson, a scientist at the University of Minnesota who performed the DNA analysis.

Bigfoot creatures are said to live in the forests of the U.S. Pacific Northwest. An opossum is a marsupial about the size of a house cat.

Results of the DNA tests were revealed in an e-mail from Nelson and distributed at the Palo Alto, California, news conference held by Tom Biscardi, host of a weekly online radio show about the Bigfoot.

Also present were Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, the two who say they discovered the Bigfoot corpse while hiking in the woods of northern Georgia. They also are co-owners of a company that offers Bigfoot merchandise.

Despite the dubious photo and the commercial interests of the alleged discoverers, the Bigfoot claim drew interest from Australia to Europe and even The New York Times.

Biscardi said the DNA samples may not have been taken correctly and may have been contaminated, and that he would proceed with an autopsy of the alleged Bigfoot remains, currently in a freezer at an undisclosed location.

96% possum?  wtf was the rest? 

(sorry, kentucky roots, i refuse to put an "o." )

that reminds me.  i remember when my home county started putting road signs up.  since time immemorial, this certain road was called "possum holler."  everybody calls it possum holler, to this day.  it's goddamn possum holler.  they put the road sign up: "opossum hollow road."  dad and i both were like, "you gotta be shittin' me.  who do they think they're foolin'?"

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson