I figured-out tonight why I don't like Noam Chomsky: He's full of shit

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I figured-out tonight why I don't like Noam Chomsky: He's full of shit

...Perhaps this wasn't always the case, but his recent ('recent' stretching back a couple of decades now) claims are just... repellent to me. I've been very careful to read his work without simply dismissing what amounts to his very offensive rhetoric out of hand, examining the veracity of what was being said from a logical standpoint (I'm not an academic, so I'm hardly in a real position to check the accuracy of his facts) even if I don't happen to like the words on the paper.

Frankly, I don't understand how it is he's recognized as a leading intellectual.

Some of his facts are certainly wrong (...The IDF is not somehow 'American owned'. The Israelis developed their own tanks, and purchase weaponry and aircraft from a number of sources, including the United States. Saying that an Apache Gunship firing on Hessbollah (sp?) terrorists is an act of American aggression because the helicopter was made in America is like saying that anything I write has American authorship because my word processor was developed in America), and his grand premise of America being an imperial empire is based on (of all things) a No True Scotsman fallacy (America doesn't practice TRUE Democracy!).

His stance on capitalism is strange (...I'm, again, not an academic; whether of not political science actually confirms what he claims I don't know) and rather obnoxious. Apparently the social hierarchy is bad, and unions are golden. But how the Hell does one get away from a hierarchy? It's impossible, realistically. The notion that unions are any less corruptable than the businesses they aim to shackle is absurd (See: Britain).

Perhaps this is all just stemming from the fact I'm a layman, and some of his topics are over my head (...though I'm a little dubious).

Thoughts?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
sort of...

yeah, deludedgod, but aren't they kind of the same thing?  i mean, regardless of whether or not the 'scientific community' wakes up every morning and says "time for another big day of suppressing Intelligent Design",  what science does every day is suppress Intelligent Design a little more.  regardless of the intent, it is the result.

and so, because science is destroying what the IDers hold dear, it is the enemy and is evil to them. 

anyway. the problem with conspiracy theories is that they're ridiculously exaggerated to the point that they can't possibly be true.  i for one believe that there are media conspiracies, not one huge one, but many many little ones, on a case by case basis, and of course not every member of the media is directly involved (that's why they're called pawns), and often times the media is more of a tool of conspiracy, by sending out a sensational press release to deprioritize a story one might not want so much attention paid to, yada yada yada.

same with 9/11.  computer graphics and demolitions? hired terrorists? empty planes and such? it's all way too fallible to work.  conspiracies work best when a small group gets together to coordinate the actions of their pawns.   my take on 9/11 has always been that it was allowed to happen.  how many people does it take to allow something like that to happen?  not many.  all it would have taken was for a dozen or so high-ranking folks to sit in a closed room and simply agree to do nothing that morning, and there you go.  instant, justifiable military access to the entire middle east.

anyways, yeah. i think i made a point there....sort of...

Fear is the mindkiller.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Remarkable Inventions ~ Wow !

Thanks "deludedgod" for pulling my chain , about these "new inventions",called paragraphs-syntax and grammar. maybe now I can write a sentence what do you think ? O.K. here it goes .let me address the use of links by me , well since I just learned how to use these links to other sites ,a few weeks ago , it puzzles me why you critique that aspect of my post,and I use these links because I think that they draw a picture about my own personnel view about History,and these writer's are a lot better at explaining and debating these positions. So when you attack my typing errors or the lack of knowledge about my use of "paragraph's-syntax and Grammar  ,

it makes me wonder about your critique,it reminds me of the way that religious people attack the "Atheist messenger" because they don't want to hear the Truth.And my inability to construct a sentence to your likin,is an error on my part (sorry about that).Also I don't travel , due to a physical disability,but that doesn't have an effect on common sense.And my critique about Israel concerning the treatment of Arabs,has nothing to do with the Jewish civilians,I think that most Jewish people are some of the "kindness,caring and compassionate" people in the human family tree. but I don't understand how the Jewish government can treat another group of people so disdainfully,especially after being victims themselves.I agree with Jimmy Carter also with his book~ Palestine:Peace not Apartheid.and also Mordechai Vanunu~en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Vanunu prisoner of conscience in Israel.

Signature ? How ?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The caring Dr Fear and Ken

The caring Dr Fear and Ken G, make make xlint points .... thanks ... and yank my chain anytime !

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:yeah, deludedgod, but

Quote:

yeah, deludedgod, but aren't they kind of the same thing?  i mean, regardless of whether or not the 'scientific community' wakes up every morning and says "time for another big day of suppressing Intelligent Design",  what science does every day is suppress Intelligent Design a little more.  regardless of the intent, it is the result.

I think we are using very different meanings of the word suppress. In the context you are referring to, "suppress" means the wide acknowledgment that ID is complete nonsense and is therefore ignored. This isn't suppression, this is just normal academic backbiting. However, when they, the ID lobby, use the term "suppress", they mean that the evil scientific community is involved in some sort of massive conspiracy including hiding evidence for ID and so forth. Of course, most of these people wouldn't be able to tell a polynucleotide from a Golgi apparatus and so their opinions don't really carry any weight.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Suppression?

Intelligent design is not being supressed. It is being laughed at and ridiculed.  Imagine if a bunch of people starting insisting that chemisty and physics are full of shit and that they have theory of an alternative theory of matter that sounds exactly like Aristotle's four element theory except they name the four elements "Jesus", "The Father", "The Holy Ghost", and "The Virgin Mary".  Wait, did I just start the next crock of shit... ?

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
oh, believe me, i realize

oh, believe me, i realize that, but either way, it's being suppressed, and that, to quote our dear friend Martha Stewart, is a good thing.....Smiling

Fear is the mindkiller.

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:    

Ken G. wrote:

BrainFromArous wrote ;do you mean these countries etc......... YEP exactly the same countries ,because if you do a check on church attendance in these countries they're anywhere between 7%-22% not what I would call Religious countries,shit the Soviet Union has a much higher church attendance than any of those countries

You said nothing about church attendance. You wrote:

"TomJ wrote that we Atheist would be outlawed by the majority .,and we would have to move to Canada.~WRONG~ alot of the Atheist countries also have a Direct Democracy just look at the Scandinavian countries that were at one time Christian countries.But through a participatory democratic process,churches are seen as "The Old Way To Control People",so they were more or less Abandoned."

Countries with official state churches have "abandoned" them? And they did this through Direct Democracy (a term you do not appear to understand)?

Quote:
(2) I will retract the accusation about the anti Chomsky Reader was being funded by the ADL,but only for now,because I do know that they(ADL)have circulated  over 30,000 pages that has been published in many different forms,books,magazines,news papers etc. that try to denounce his writings as a leftist,and unable to see his own mistakes.

One hardly needs the ADL to level that charge. Also, the issue is not that Chomsky is a "Leftist," but the quality of his scholarship and historical analysis. One can be an honest and perceptive Leftist, Rightist or whatever.

Where does this 30,000 pages figure come from?

Quote:
Now for his support of Hamas- Duh! No wonder the Declaration of Hamas is to eradicate the state of Israel,just look at the facts,read Ilan Pappe' work ,are you familiar with it ?he was a very prominent professor at Haifa University www.factsontheground.co.uk/  and check out his book " The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine "  ilanpappe.com/  along with Norm Finkelstein's work "The Holocaust Industry"and "Beyond Chutzpah:on the misuse of anti-semitism and the abuse of History "his work can be read at www.normanfinkelstein.com/article.php    PS.The link from www.factsontheground.co.uk seem to have problems with the page that has an interview with Ilan Pappe'  .

Great horny toads... you summon the likes of a left-wing, Israel-bashing 'blog, Pappe and Finkelstein to defend Chomsky? Are you kidding me? Hey, I hear Michael Savage has pretty good things to say about Ann Coulter.

Unbelievable.

Boards don't hit back. (Bruce Lee)

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Great Horny Toads~Michael Savage and Ann Coulter ?

BrainsFromArous wrote;you said nothing about church attendance . But I did , 7%-22% church attendance in Scandinavian countries and then you point out that it's the quality of Chomsky scholarship and historical analysis. Yeah right,are you kidding me or what,Chomsky is by far the most important intellectual alive.Have you ever heard of Daniel Ellsberg,The Pentagon Papers,well if you read or listen to him talk about his problems trying to get the papers published,he first showed them to Howard Zinn and then Noam Chomsky and was wondering if Noam could get MIT press to print them,but they didn't want to touch it,so with his friends at Beacon press they got published. So tell me why you think he out there in left field somewhere,Ellsberg thought he was important enough. And if Chomsky's historical analysis was corrupt he wouldn't have been booked to give a speech at West Point,by the Pentagon.And his very full speaking schedule at University's around the world says alot about his scholarship (he has too be booked 5 years in advance)due to so many college's asking for him to speak. And then you point out the post on www.factsontheground.co.uk/ like they're a bunch of Idiots.You point out a post about "Obama first Jewish president",as if that post devalues their credibility,but if you read the post,it's from the Humor section,and then you point out this other post "Slouching toward a Palestinian Holocaust" written by a preeminent Jewish American scholar on International Law.Richard Falk.  Right Next.  O.K. now tell me what is your beef with Norm Finkelstein,he lost both of his parents in the Holocaust,so I would think that his work has been done to truly honor the victims of the Jewish people,and Ilan Pappe' is a noted scholar even in Israel.And I don't mention them to defend Chomsky's work,there are so many sources that verify his work like "The Journal of Foreign Policy",Amnesty International,World Watch,The Red Cross and The Library of Congress,many of his books are used as a reference books at the Free Library in the United States .And I think that the "Chomsky Institute of Learning"just opened in Germany,so for a guy who has his facts mixed up,he sure is in demand. Grow -UP

Signature ? How ?