Is it me or are some of these threads messed up?

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Is it me or are some of these threads messed up?

Like this one - that MattShizzle began.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/14169

 

I can access what seems to be the first page up to entry #27...then nada.  No page forward function.  No access to the hundreds of posts that follow.

 

I tried to alert the 'admin' or 'mod'...no response.  Maybe I went about it incorrectly. 

 

I have to ask myself...WTF is up with that?  I'm actually going to try the 'subscribe' option and see what happens.  Maybe my PC will implode.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
I've forwarded this thread

I've forwarded this thread to the development team.  They'll try to sort it out.  Thanks for the heads up!

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7573
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Seems fine to me.  Just

Seems fine to me.  Just scroll to the bottom of the page to access the other pages.

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
This is probably the page

This is probably the page cutoff problem for those of us with ie. Changing the text size helps.


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
messed up thread

I wish I could take a picture of what I see and send it to you.  Seriously, there is no 'page forward'.  I can see a little more of HeyZeus' post than I could a few days ago...but no page forward. 

If it's just me...my PC...me...I guess I'll just have to deal with it.  But I am trying to read threads and 'keep up' on the direction the conversation is taking. 

Thanks for trying to help.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:This is

MattShizzle wrote:

This is probably the page cutoff problem for those of us with ie. Changing the text size helps.

 

Changing the text size?  Is that why some pages are cut off on the right side, too?  Gees...I'll try to change the font size and see what I get.  Thanks.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
Posts: 399
Joined: 2008-04-06
User is offlineOffline
I have the same problem when

I have the same problem when I'm at work. I sent an email as well, suggesting a page forward link at the top of the post so you can still get deeper into the discussion even if you can't see the whole page. This would also make it quicker to navigate if you just want to get to the most recent post rather than having to scroll to the bottom of the page.

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Lyzandra Daria

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

This is probably the page cutoff problem for those of us with ie. Changing the text size helps.

 

Changing the text size?  Is that why some pages are cut off on the right side, too?  Gees...I'll try to change the font size and see what I get.  Thanks.

 

Well...I can still read this post.  Let me try to see if I can access that other thread.  Be back shortly.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Lyzandra Daria

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

This is probably the page cutoff problem for those of us with ie. Changing the text size helps.

 

Changing the text size?  Is that why some pages are cut off on the right side, too?  Gees...I'll try to change the font size and see what I get.  Thanks.

 

Well...I can still read this post.  Let me try to see if I can access that other thread.  Be back shortly.

Genius...or maybe not...but at least now I get to #30 and have the pages available.  Thanks heaps.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:I have the same

nutxaq wrote:

I have the same problem when I'm at work. I sent an email as well, suggesting a page forward link at the top of the post so you can still get deeper into the discussion even if you can't see the whole page. This would also make it quicker to navigate if you just want to get to the most recent post rather than having to scroll to the bottom of the page.

I'm interested...what is a 'page forward link'?  Is this only for my posts or could I link to someone elses post that I'm interested in following? 

Am I making any sense, asking coherent questions?

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Why don't you just take a

Why don't you just take a screen shot and post it?  That way the dev team could see what's happening.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
Posts: 399
Joined: 2008-04-06
User is offlineOffline
Lyzandra Daria wrote:nutxaq

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

I have the same problem when I'm at work. I sent an email as well, suggesting a page forward link at the top of the post so you can still get deeper into the discussion even if you can't see the whole page. This would also make it quicker to navigate if you just want to get to the most recent post rather than having to scroll to the bottom of the page.

I'm interested...what is a 'page forward link'?  Is this only for my posts or could I link to someone elses post that I'm interested in following? 

Am I making any sense, asking coherent questions?

I just mean a link to navigate to the next page or additional pages should the discussion go that far. I'm a computer gimp. I don't know what the technical term would be.

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Why don't

Hambydammit wrote:

Why don't you just take a screen shot and post it?  That way the dev team could see what's happening.

 

 

No idea how to do that. That thread cuts off for me in the exact same place.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Why don't

Hambydammit wrote:

Why don't you just take a screen shot and post it?  That way the dev team could see what's happening.

 

So far, Matt's suggestion of setting the font size to 'smaller' has had an affect and I can still read the posts without suffering eye strain.  I had a previous choice of 'medium'.  So, maybe (read high probability) it was me...

 

Now...'take a screen shot'?  Care to elaborate.  If not, I think I'm good for the time being. 

 

Thank you (all) for your helpful suggestions.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
How to Take a Screenshot in

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Print Screen...

Excellent!  I like that. 

 

Oh fudge!  I'm 'warned' that with my 'security settings' I can't paste directly to RSS. 

 

Let's see what I get...

 

 

 

 

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Lyzandra Daria

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

Excellent!  I like that. 

 

Oh fudge!  I'm 'warned' that with my 'security settings' I can't paste directly to RSS. 

 

Let's see what I get...

>>>

Well the 'paste' didn't work (apparently), but I do like it.  I'll try to remember.  Thanks.

>>> 

 

 

 

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


Watcher
atheist
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2007-07-10
User is offlineOffline
You need to upload the

You need to upload the screenshot to an image hosting site like photobucket or imageshack.  Then you can link it.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:You need to

Watcher wrote:

You need to upload the screenshot to an image hosting site like photobucket or imageshack.  Then you can link it.

That doesn't sound like it would be acceptable.  As it is, I'm probably 'walking a fine line'.  but, hey, asside from having to choose a smaller font for display than I might like, I'm o.k.

 

Onward.  Now that I can read some of the threads I was 'missing'.  I've got a lot to catch up on.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
RRS does NOT work correctly

RRS does NOT work correctly using some Internet Explorer browser versions. IE sucks period.  Download the latest "Firefox" browser. It changes NOTHING on your PC, just adds this much better browser, as another second browser option.

Your IE isn't changed in any way.

   Matt - PC Techs like things clean and simple, and so they prefer "Firefox" ....


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Some of us would rather

Some of us would rather stick a rusty spoon coated with salt through our eye than deal with firefox. Also some people come on here from work and can't. I just read in Time that firefox is a favorite of "techies." Well for those of us who can just barely figure out how to get online it isn't for us.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE MATT ,

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE MATT , gezzz man,  I promise, cross my heart !!!! 

          Shit, just do it, get it , then google RRS, bookmark RRS , and you are DONE.

      as easy as 123  or  ABC  ,  have no fear ! PLEASE !    I care !


Boon Docks
Posts: 415
Joined: 2007-03-04
User is offlineOffline
Spoons

MattShizzle wrote:

Some of us would rather stick a rusty spoon coated with salt through our eye than deal with firefox. Also some people come on here from work and can't. I just read in Time that firefox is a favorite of "techies." Well for those of us who can just barely figure out how to get online it isn't for us.

 

 

  Hey Matt, you got anymore rusty spoons.  I'm with ya,  I don't follow these instructions but fortunately I'm not the one having problems,  YET  !


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Can't download

That is forbidden    And at my residence, I have similar restrictions imposed by my house-mate.  One computer on the internet...his...his rules.  Control freaks, can't live with them, can't rip their head off (legally)...sucks.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


Boon Docks
Posts: 415
Joined: 2007-03-04
User is offlineOffline
Quotes

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

That is forbidden    And at my residence, I have similar restrictions imposed by my house-mate.  One computer on the internet...his...his rules.  Control freaks, can't live with them, can't rip their head off (legally)...sucks.

 

   What was that famous quote,"anotherone bites the dust" ?!?


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Lyzandra Daria, just maybe

Lyzandra Daria, just maybe hopefully educate him ? You and he really should have Firefox. Less PC problems too.   Good luck ....

Maybe have him read this,

PC TIP - I can't recommend this enough -  Using the "Firefox 3" free browser works better than the primitive "Internet Explorer" browser, and especially for many new "fancy" web sites. PLUS less "viruses".  Read up on "Firefox, and download it (2 mins DSL) IT DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ON YOUR PC.... JUST ADDS THIS 2ND BROWSER Option .... it's the PC geeks favorite, because it's easy and cleaner.   Google "firefox" .....

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

PC TIP 2 - Eliminate everything in your windows start up menu. You can re-add or keep your 'anti-virus programs', BUT I have had MORE problems running all anti- virus programs, which is where viruses often attach. PC runs much faster and cleaner. No programs are lost, they just don't run full time. When you want to use a program open it manually. Many if not most PC virus attach to, or create "start up" items.

Here's how: Click green "start"- click "run" bottom right -  type in exactly:  msconfig  - click OK -  in box top right go to Start Up (top right) - click Disable All - click Apply - Restart PC ---- done ((( re-add start-up programs if you wish , but I would NOT ....

AND first sign of a PC problem re-check and re-delete new attached "start up" items.

Optional - Also in run , type :  %temp% , then delete all items ( before deleting you can first "copy then save" them into a "yellow" folder to put back .... if you are worried.   

 >>>> trust me !!!
   This will ALSO very OFTEN,  FIX a SICK PC .....    igod luvs YOU !  

     IF a PC pro, has an objection to this, etc , please post it , thanks.

 


Shaitian
Posts: 386
Joined: 2006-07-15
User is offlineOffline
i agree firefox is the Sh*t.

i agree firefox is the Sh*t. when i was a senior in high school last year the techs finally changed all the computers in the school to firefox. Plus our local library now is running firefox as well. Our courthouse and police departments have all changed to firefox. (I only know this because there was an article in the local newspaper recently...)


dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
Posts: 321
Joined: 2007-05-13
User is offlineOffline
As one of the site admins, I

As one of the site admins, I feel the need to inform everyone about a few things.

First and foremost, this site was not designed with Internet Explorer version 6 in mind, It was designed around IE7, Opera, and Firefox. We (the development team) did our best to make it work, and it does work a lot better than the previous design, but we had to cut a lot of corners to get it to work with IE6 as well as it does. As you can tell, IE6 does really weird, random things that sometimes aren't reproducible in a consistent manner, making it really difficult to debug and troubleshoot. Internet Explorer version 7 has been out for almost 2 years now and is not going away. In fact, Internet Explorer version 8 is downloadable as a beta, so expect that to be out before long also. If you MUST use Internet Explorer, you are going to have to upgrade to version 7 to view the site properly. PERIOD. Internet Explorer version 6 is over 6 years old, which is ancient history in terms of browsers. I am sorry if your company's corporate policy mandates the use of version 6, but it makes the development team's job tougher by trying to cater to older technology, and unfortunately we can't continue this trend because it conflicts with newer browsers which over 90% use.

I like to consider most atheists to be "ahead of the crowd" meaning they display greater intelligence than many. I am absolutely sure that those who dislike anything but IE6 could easily pick up IE7's operation in a matter of (at most) days, if not hours. However, Firefox usability is much more like IE6 than even IE7 is. Please, if you can, consider giving it a try by clicking here.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Since this thread is now

Since this thread is now about general thread formatting, I wonder if it is possible for the development team to work the formatting to accomodate one request:

Right now, image insertion is irritating. It is limited either to images with a URL (ie those online), or to those images where you have uploaded them to photobucket, which is irritating and time consuming. For example, I use the Word 2007 equation tool a lot, and the format in posts will effectively read them as images, and they cannot be inserted. This is annoying since often times I do want to insert equations. I wonder if it is possible for the posts to be worked in such a manner that an image can simply be inserted using Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
Posts: 399
Joined: 2008-04-06
User is offlineOffline
Irony

Irony: Experiencing the problem a thread is dedicated to addressing. 


Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
Posts: 237
Joined: 2006-12-19
User is offlineOffline
Network issue?

nutxaq wrote:
Irony: Experiencing the problem a thread is dedicated to addressing. 

It sounds to me like people are experiencing a page that has not loaded all the way.  Prior to this post, this page is 123KB.  I would guess that pages that are a bit smaller than that would work.  This seems like it would be an issue with a proxy server, such as filtering software for restricting access at schools, or work or some kind of network issue.

EDIT: Also, this could also be caused by buggy ad-ware or add-ons (user installed, bundled with junk software, and/or installed via viruses) embedded in Internet Explorer.  I consider browsing the Internet with Internet Explorer to be like having unprotected sex; I never know what viruses could be infecting my PC just by connecting to other websites.

http://www.crn.com/security/208802248

crn.com wrote:
Altogether, the study found that less than 60 percent (59.1) of people use up-to-date, fully patched Web browsers. Failure [to] update browsers exponentially increases the chance for remote attacks executed by hackers, the study found.
Emphasis mine.
crn.com wrote:
Firefox users were far and away the most likely to use the latest version, with an overwhelming 83.3 percent running an updated browser on any given day.

crn.com wrote:
Meanwhile, Microsoft (NSDQ:MSFT)'s Internet Explorer users ranked last in terms of safe browsing. Between January 2007 and June 2008, less than half of IE users -- 47.6 percent -- were running the most secure browser version during the same time period.

Not matter which web browser you are using, you still have to make sure that you are using the latest version.  Using old Internet software is asking for trouble.  In a world where identify theft is common, it can be down right irresponsible.

Firefox is easer to keep up-to-date because it is independent from the operating system and security updates are pushed out to the public faster than updates for Internet Explorer.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson


Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
Posts: 237
Joined: 2006-12-19
User is offlineOffline
Image gallery?

deludedgod wrote:
Right now, image insertion is irritating. It is limited either to images with a URL (ie those online), or to those images where you have uploaded them to photobucket, which is irritating and time consuming. For example, I use the Word 2007 equation tool a lot, and the format in posts will effectively read them as images, and they cannot be inserted. This is annoying since often times I do want to insert equations. I wonder if it is possible for the posts to be worked in such a manner that an image can simply be inserted using Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.

Not sure if we can find a technical solution for that soon, but maybe we can dedicate an image gallery just for your equations and other images to support posts that are not likely to be reused for general purposes.

See Rational Content -> image galleries
http://www.rationalresponders.com/image

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
RRS fans need Firefox ....

RRS fans need Firefox .... or similar , fuck IE crap , change takes a few minutes .....

                                           


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:Lyzandra

Boon Docks wrote:

Lyzandra Daria wrote:

That is forbidden    And at my residence, I have similar restrictions imposed by my house-mate.  One computer on the internet...his...his rules.  Control freaks, can't live with them, can't rip their head off (legally)...sucks.

 

   What was that famous quote,"anotherone bites the dust" ?!?

That's part of the lyrics from a 'Queen' song

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
Posts: 152
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Lyzandra Daria, just maybe hopefully educate him ? You and he really should have Firefox. Less PC problems too.   Good luck ....

Maybe have him read this,

PC TIP - I can't recommend this enough -  Using the "Firefox 3" free browser works better than the primitive "Internet Explorer" browser, and especially for many new "fancy" web sites. PLUS less "viruses".  Read up on "Firefox, and download it (2 mins DSL) IT DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ON YOUR PC.... JUST ADDS THIS 2ND BROWSER Option .... it's the PC geeks favorite, because it's easy and cleaner.   Google "firefox" .....

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

PC TIP 2 - Eliminate everything in your windows start up menu. You can re-add or keep your 'anti-virus programs', BUT I have had MORE problems running all anti- virus programs, which is where viruses often attach. PC runs much faster and cleaner. No programs are lost, they just don't run full time. When you want to use a program open it manually. Many if not most PC virus attach to, or create "start up" items.

Here's how: Click green "start"- click "run" bottom right -  type in exactly:  msconfig  - click OK -  in box top right go to Start Up (top right) - click Disable All - click Apply - Restart PC ---- done ((( re-add start-up programs if you wish , but I would NOT ....

AND first sign of a PC problem re-check and re-delete new attached "start up" items.

Optional - Also in run , type :  %temp% , then delete all items ( before deleting you can first "copy then save" them into a "yellow" folder to put back .... if you are worried.   

 >>>> trust me !!!
   This will ALSO very OFTEN,  FIX a SICK PC .....    igod luvs YOU !  

     IF a PC pro, has an objection to this, etc , please post it , thanks.

 

Sorry I didn't make myself clear...my housemate (not boyfriend or other 'significant' relationship of mutual respect and admiration (with benefits)) is a control FREAK.  He doesn't listen.  He knows EVERYTHING. I'm only a bit smarter than a rock.

It's his computer...he doesn't even want me on websites like this for fear that someone will be able to 'backtrack' and sabotage his computer even if I don't accidentally download a 'virus'. 

I really need to move.  I have my own PC (laptop) that is 'better'  (newer/faster)  than his desktop.  He has asked if I want the internet, but he is such a FREAK, I keep saying 'no'.  Less for him to 'control' in my life.

 

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Some of us

MattShizzle wrote:

Some of us would rather stick a rusty spoon coated with salt through our eye than deal with firefox. Also some people come on here from work and can't. I just read in Time that firefox is a favorite of "techies." Well for those of us who can just barely figure out how to get online it isn't for us.

There's nothing to "deal with" when it comes to Firefox.  Just download it, lanch it, and browse faster.  The latest version (3.0) is exceptionally sleek and fast.  Plus, there are lots of plug-ins that allow you to customize/supplement your browsing experience, but you don't have to get into all of that.  That's probably why someone wrote that it was a favorite of techies.  Doesn't necessarily mean it's harder, there are just more options than with Internet Explorer. 


Arkanrais
Arkanrais's picture
Posts: 109
Joined: 2007-05-28
User is offlineOffline
Firefox is also a lot more

Firefox is also a lot more secure for your computer. I had to make the switch quite a few years ago when IE got some kind of virus that changed whatever page I went to into porn (infected from visiting a webpage for circumventing copy protection). it even screwed around all my bookmarks into porn as well. ever since then I've been using firefox. When you first run firefox, it asks you if you want it to copy all of your bookmarks over from IE so you don't have to go to every page and manually book mark them. FF will also store your username & password for sites on your computer so you don't have to enter them every time (it will ask you if you want it to do this).

there are a lot of plugins for FF as well like adblock plus (gets rid of ads on websites, including those goddamn google ads that are everywhere). just because you can customize it fully, doesn't mean you have to or that anything gets complicated. it is as simple to use as IE and is a hell of a lot more secure. one easy way to see if you like it is to download it and install it (very easy to do). then start it up, run through the few questions it asks (like if you want it to bring over all your bookmarks from IE) and blitz around the net for a while. if it really is as bad as you say, then uninstall it or leave it alone completely. since I've made the change, my browsing has been sooooo much better. I can open out 10 tabs with a different website on each, switch between them and do a lot at once or I can browse page by page at a leisurely pace, going as slow and simple as need be.

simply put, FF is faster, more secure and doesn't screw up web pages. you can customize it, or leave it as it is, you don't need to be a techie to figure it out. the only difference you might notice from IE would be the little red and blue icon in the top left of your browser window (the firefox logo). if you can figure out how to use a computer then using FF should be absolutely no trouble even if you have the tech skills of a caveman.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
I tried firefox and could

I tried firefox and could not figure it out. I couldn't even figure out how to get my e mail with it. Lost a lot of shit trying it, too. I deleted it. Same with IE7.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
Posts: 321
Joined: 2007-05-13
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I tried

MattShizzle wrote:
I tried Firefox and could not figure it out. I couldn't even figure out how to get my e mail with it. Lost a lot of shit trying it, too. I deleted it. Same with IE7.

First of all, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari, whatever, has nothing to do with your email unless you use a webmail type service such as yahoo or hotmail, in which case it almost always doesn't matter what browser you use.

Second, it is IMPOSSIBLE to lose information from Internet Explorer 6 by installing Firefox. Firefox is just like any other regular jackoff program you can install on your computer. It WILL NOT remove Internet Explorer 6 or any of the Internet Explorer 6 settings. It also will not remove outlook express or any other mail program you might be using.

The buttons are in almost the EXACT same places as IE6 with stuff like "Favorites" renamed to "Bookmarks" and very simple things like that. There are plenty of guides on the Internet to help guide you through migrating to a more recent browser. For example:

There are many resources available to you to learn ANYTHING you want, even how to use IE7 or Firefox. We have stated that IE6 is no longer supported, so now would be an opportune time to consider either upgrading to IE7 or try alternate browsers such as Firefox, Opera, or Safari. The development team is not going to go on a witch hunt for a browser that isn't even supported by the manufacturer anymore. I am sorry if you do not have a choice on what browser you use (Lyzandra Daria, nutxaq) but we simply don't have the resources available to fix big issues like this for just a few users.

Also, Mr. XC is what I like to call the "Lead Developer" since much of how the site runs was/is the result of his work. I had a hand in it as well, drawing up and performing a lot of the new site migration procedures, but Mr. XC was responsible for setting up the rock solid security and speed the site now enjoys. I have learned a lot about what computer security REALLY means from him and when he chooses to expound some of his knowledge about computer security, as he did earlier in this thread, all of you would do well to listen.

You can continue to use IE6 if you like, just don't expect us to get it fixed any time soon, if ever. It's not a priority at all and there are several to-do items that are in line WAY before IE6 is. Again, I'm sorry if you're forced to use IE6. If you have the ability to use an updated browser but continue to use IE6, then tough luck, you're on your own.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
It had everything to do with

It had everything to do with my email - in IE6 there's a button at the top to get it. That's the only place I can get it. IE7 and firefox don't have it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
Posts: 1758
Joined: 2008-01-13
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:It had

MattShizzle wrote:
It had everything to do with my email - in IE6 there's a button at the top to get it. That's the only place I can get it. IE7 and firefox don't have it.
that's just a bookmark link, hon. You could easily copy that to firefox.

 

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
It's not under "favorites."

It's not under "favorites." It's a button above the address bar - between the "print" and "history" button - looks like an envelope.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
Posts: 321
Joined: 2007-05-13
User is offlineOffline
most likely outlook express.

most likely outlook express. to get to it, click start >> all programs >> outlook express.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
OK, it is there.

OK, it is there.


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I tried

MattShizzle wrote:

I tried firefox and could not figure it out. I couldn't even figure out how to get my e mail with it. Lost a lot of shit trying it, too. I deleted it. Same with IE7.

You couldn't 'figure it out'? What the Hell is there to figure out, Matt? There's the URL to punch in the address for where you want to go, there's a forward button and a back button. The layout for any web browser is remarkably similar.

I mean, take a look:

 

IE6

 

IE7

 

Firefox 3

 

Explain, Matt: why is it that you can use IE6 just fine, but not a newer browser that looks the same and works the same? This stuff is literally child's play; modern browsers are built with an audience that includes young children in mind.

 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Firefox & IE7  missing some

Firefox & IE7  missing some of the most important buttons. It also was really weird how it worked when I tried to go to favorites. No button for history either (I don't like how the top ones work, it messes up a lot.) I might get it for this site and just use ie6 for everything else. But resizing text seems to be an easier solution.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
Posts: 1758
Joined: 2008-01-13
User is offlineOffline
IE7 blows. FireFox am a happy browser.

GNU/Linux


Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
Posts: 481
Joined: 2007-04-07
User is offlineOffline
Opera takes a bit more work

Opera takes a bit more work to customize than Firefox, but it has excellent web standards support and a better security track-record than Internet Explorer or Firefox. I've made my Opera very minimalist—the internet is so much better when the browser isn't in the way Eye-wink

 

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Matt, as I said you can have

Matt, as I said you can have lots of browsers, and have them open (running in the tool tray at bottom of screen. Use IE for your email if you prefer, and Firefox for RRS.

Then figure this out eventually ...... 

And as Jill and I, etc etc,  said , add your email http address to your Firefox bookmarks.

Here's how - Open both browsers. Open email in IE, copy the http,  then paste into Firefox and re open your email there, then bookmark it. Also book mark RRS into firefox. That's it. REAL real easy .....

Now you will have no funny RRS pages ! 

    


Wonko
Wonko's picture
Posts: 518
Joined: 2008-06-18
User is offlineOffline
I know this thread is

I know this thread is mainly IE6 vs IE7 vs FireFox and learning how to view the website but I have a question in slightly other vein....

Does anyone know why some of the posting comment features don't work....features like strikethrough etc.

A few days ago there was one day when the spell check didn't work but then the next day it was fine again. Nice to use when I can remember.

Any ideas?


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Shit happens. ???? Sometimes

Shit happens. ???? RRS temporary overload ....  Sometimes a re-boot will fix, and or deleting all cookies , but then you half to re-log in to all log in sites.

I really also recommend keeping the start-up menu empty, or to a minimum .....

SEE post 25