2001 A Space Odyssey

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
2001 A Space Odyssey

I just watched this movie for the 1st time.

1) awesome special effects for 68...I bet that was mind blowing in its time.

2) So little dialogue...as a modern movie watcher it made me uncomfortable...I know it was done on purpose, I guess I am more used to being spoonfed my plot.

3)What is it about....(after it was over to scoured the internet to find out and got some reasonable takes on it)

Overall

Excellent movie....

and even moreso...

I give it credit on how inovative it was in film as art.

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
iluvc2h5oh wrote: 3)What is

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

3)What is it about....(after it was over to scoured the internet to find out and got some reasonable takes on it)

Overall

Excellent movie....

and even moreso...

I give it credit on how inovative it was in film as art.

Odyssey can be best thought of as like something of a Science Fiction Rorschach inkblot test. It's intentionally interpretational in it's presentation; many parts of it were Kubrick simply projecting his personal views, past experiences and feelings to the viewer, so they can make whatever they wish of them (consider the many scenes in Odyssey that are uncannily reminiscent of LSD hallucination).

Personally, while I certainly appreciate the technical achievements of Odyssey, I don't actually care for it's format. I enjoy being told a story - not simply shown a big mess of images and told, "Here. Makes sense of these."

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Never seen it but heard it

Never seen it but heard it wasn't too good from most people that have. I also heard of but never saw "2069: A Sex Odyssey."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
The opening scene is great,

The opening scene is great, the closing scene is fairly subjective. From what I remember 12 years ago when I saw it, was that he was experiencing the circle of life.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
From what I read

From what I read online....

it seems the 4 segments are the 4 phases of Human evolution

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you need a spoiler if a movie is 40 years old.

1-tool use to aid tasks

2-tool reliance on survival

3-tools given control

4-rebirth + next step of evolution--rejection of technology (physical body no longer needed)

Yes step 4 is far fetched....but it is a Sci Fi movie...

I also read that Theists and Atheists tend to see different motivations for evolution in the movie.

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Me, I've loved it for a long

Me, I've loved it for a long time. I read the book first, though, so had a clue what was going on during the ending sequences. I've seen it with folks who've never read the book, and they often "don't get it," meaning the ending could be just about anything.

The cool thing is, the book and screenplay were written in parallel, so neither is an adaptation of the other. Rather, both are interpretations of the same story, which was developed by both the filmmaker and the SF author. This makes it an interesting collaboration, I think.

I watched it a few years back, and I think it still has superior special effects to much of what comes out of hollywood today, forty years later. The physics is portrayed nicely, the technology is prescient (those cool web-pad devices they use are still cooler than most anything we have today), and so on.

But that's me. I'm an SF geek. I like my movies like I like my women -- classy, intelligent, and emotionally-detached.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Guess they don't make movies

Guess they don't make movies that are horny, hot and have low standards.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Guess they

MattShizzle wrote:

Guess they don't make movies that are horny, hot and have low standards.

Oh, there are those kinds of movies. Lots of them.

I'm not explaining how I know about them.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Never seen

MattShizzle wrote:

Never seen it but heard it wasn't too good from most people that have. I also heard of but never saw "2069: A Sex Odyssey."

You heard it 'wasn't too good'? That like say, 'Well, I heard Star Wars wasn't too good.'

Odyssey is a definitive SciFi classic. Kubrick is one of the greatest directors to have graced the cinema scene (I think that Clockwork Orange is a candidate for one of the best movies of all time). I don't care for the format, but I fear for the future when someone watches it and says, "Geez, this movie sux. I wanna see boobies."

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I need a movie to at least

I need a movie to at least fucking make sense before I'd like it.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:I watched

nigelTheBold wrote:

I watched it a few years back, and I think it still has superior special effects to much of what comes out of hollywood today, forty years later.

Can't beat the trusty pen taped to a plane of glass to simluate 0 gravity huh?  Or building entire sets on their sides or upside down to simulate reversed gravity?

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:You

Kevin R Brown wrote:

You heard it 'wasn't too good'? That like say, 'Well, I heard Star Wars wasn't too good.'

Well, Star Wars really wasn't that great.  Its only good in relation to its awful prequals.  Both trilogies took a really long time to get something very simple across.  Like Lord of the Rings.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:a

Kevin R Brown wrote:

a definitive SciFi classic. Kubrick is one of the greatest directors to have graced the cinema scene (I think that Clockwork Orange is a candidate for one of the best movies of all time). I don't care for the format, but I fear for the future when someone watches it and says, "Geez, this movie sux. I wanna see boobies."

Well, Clockwork orange did have boobies so . . .Eye-wink

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:But

nigelTheBold wrote:

But that's me. I'm an SF geek. I like my movies like I like my women -- classy, intelligent, and emotionally-detached.

Interesting, if my movie tastes reflected y taste in women, that would mean I would prefer women whom are sociopathic, disturbed, trained to kill, great cooks, and can work on and/or modify cars.  They don't necessarily have to be emotionally detached but they can be when its necessary.