Former lurker, first time poster here

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Former lurker, first time poster here

Hi guys...

I have been lurking here for a little while and finally decided to join in. I am a New England transplant now living in North Central Florida outside of Ocala...it is VERY Christian here, and a tough place to be an atheist. I feel like a one-woman army around here...when my voice goes hoarse from debating Christians, I have to resort to eye-rolling, and I have sprained my eyeballs several times from rolling them so much. I have been living here for about 8 years and have made only one friend...finding rational, freethinking individuals in this area has proven to be near impossible, and there aren't any atheist groups that meet within a reasonable radius of my home either. I'm on a friggen island here!  

So, here I am. Glad I finally joined. Hopefully I will have something to contribute once in awhile.

-Kathie

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Kathie, welcome to

Hey Kathie, welcome to memberhood Smiling

I can definitely relate to your experience of Florida. I live in Kentucky, the land of bluegrass pastures and fat-arse pastors Eye-wink

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OP: "Hopefully I will have

OP: "Hopefully I will have something to contribute once in awhile" .... /////

Hey pretty KathieG, you already have, sweet thing .....     You is a love song ! Thanks for showing up ....

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yo Katie! Thanks for

Yo Kathie! Thanks for introducing yourself. Welcome aboard!

How long have you been an atheist? Or (like me) have you been an atheist your whole life? Would you identify yourself as a 'stong atheist' (who thinks that there is compelling evidence that God almost certainly does not exist) or a more 'mild' atheist (who simply thinks that there is no compelling evidence of God's existence)?

(...Oh, and don't mind I AM AS GOD AS YOU. He's probably going to jump in here and compliment your appearance in a variety of ways. Eye-wink )

[EDIT: Oh. I see he already beat me in here. I love being correct.]

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Kevin is very wise !

Kevin is very wise !  (((  with eyes that can see clearly  !!!!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I just know Kathie can

I just know goddess Kathie can convert Xain men into Atheist men .....   

Go Atheist Girl Power !

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!I joined this site

Welcome!

I joined this site for the exact reasom you did-I didn't know any athiests IRL and was drowning in theism.I have since been unable to tear myslef away.I trust you will enjoy!

If these guys don't scare you away first..

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Kathie is not afraid,

Kathie is not afraid, funny bright Loc !   Kathie is very powerful ! Thanks again Kathie.    Your instant fan from wild, surf city,  So. Cal ......

Have fun .....

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
You are in the same boat I

You are in the same boat I am. I do have some Christian co-workers who are open minded, but still don't understand why I am an atheist. I live in an island too(not litterally|). I cant find any atheist groups where I live and the only humanist group is an hour away and they are tea-tottalers.

You've picked a nice oasis.  But unless you prove to us you are a "true atheist|" by BBQing a kitten, you will not gain our respect. (Did I think that, or type it?)

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums

Welcome to the forums Kathie!

Yay...the ladies are growing in numbers Smiling

Have fun here, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask any of the moderators!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the forums! Have fun!

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, Kathie!  Make yourself at home. Smiling

Central Texas here.  One good thing about the Bible belt.  You never run out of theist targets.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!  

Welcome to the hizzle!

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the boards, it's

Welcome to the boards, it's great that more women are joining up.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Kathie. You should

Welcome Kathie. You should consider moving to the west coast definitely more of us out here.

The fairy is strong in this thread...

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Speaking of tough places to

Speaking of tough places to be atheist, I'm in Georgia.  Luckily, I've got a university down the street from me, so there are lots of science types running around.  Anyway, I used to live very near the panhandle, so I definitely know what you're going through.

Welcome to the boards.  If you ever have any problems or questions, don't hesitate to send me or one of the other mods a PM.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the hospitality!

I feel at home already.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
There are actually a good

There are actually a good number of atheists on the Panhandle. A site I used to go on (no longer around) the majority of people were from that area and there were plenty. If you get into Valparaiso and meet Carla, throw eggs at her for me.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the war.

Welcome to the war.

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Yo

Kevin R Brown wrote:

How long have you been an atheist? Or (like me) have you been an atheist your whole life? Would you identify yourself as a 'stong atheist' (who thinks that there is compelling evidence that God almost certainly does not exist) or a more 'mild' atheist (who simply thinks that there is no compelling evidence of God's existence)?

(...Oh, and don't mind I AM AS GOD AS YOU. He's probably going to jump in here and compliment your appearance in a variety of ways. Eye-wink )

Hi Kevin,

I would consider myself a strong atheist. I evolved over time. I started out in a mildly religious protestant home (church on holidays), then was the victim of an attempted brainwash by a devout catholic friend and her family as a young teen. I then started reading the bible...drifted back towards the protestant/congregational side for a short time, and by the age of 22, I was agnostic. From there I did a lot of reading, and evolved into an atheist mindset in my late 20's. Now that I'm in my *cough* 30's...I can safely say I am a "strong" atheist.

BTW...Thanks for the attempted warning. I don't mind I AM AS GOD AS YOU...girls love compliments. If he gets too obnoxious, I'll smack him around a little.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
KathieG wrote:BTW...Thanks

KathieG wrote:

BTW...Thanks for the attempted warning. I don't mind I AM AS GOD AS YOU...girls love compliments. If he gets too obnoxious, I'll smack him around a little.

I like this one...

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard

Yes, it is good to have more women join in.  The estrogen ocean is growing.  I'm from northern Minnesota and,  very few atheists around here,  at least they haven't come out of the preverbial closet.  Or is that just me hiding still?  Have you tried a meetup group in Florida?  I have one in Minneapolis, but I'm 200 miles north of there.

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
more women!

YaY! More women! Kathie, where are you from in New England? I'm from MA.

I'm in Gainesville, at UF. I think there is a rather large atheist group at UCF.

Anyway, welcome!

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
Florida Panhandle

OK. Guys. Er, Ocala is in north central Florida. About an hour south of Gainesville or about an hour north of Orlando, depending upon your point of view. The panhandle is a painful long drive (north and waaaay west)...and a lot more like Alabama than it is Florida.

Kathie, as you can see, we need more estrogen around here.

Ocala is famous for its horses, its lightning...and John Travolta's airport/house.

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:Yes, it is

Boon Docks wrote:

Yes, it is good to have more women join in.  The estrogen ocean is growing.  I'm from northern Minnesota and,  very few atheists around here,  at least they haven't come out of the preverbial closet.  Or is that just me hiding still?  Have you tried a meetup group in Florida?  I have one in Minneapolis, but I'm 200 miles north of there.

Yep...have tried the meetup thing...I am on the list as ready and waiting for a group to start in my area. I think the closest group is in Gainesville (1/2 hour north of me), but I'd LOVE to see something start up in the Ocala area...this place is saturated with fundies!

BTW...I LOL'd at "estrogen ocean"...that may sound scary to some...who know's what might live in there  *insert jaws music here*

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
KathieG wrote:[ Now that I'm

KathieG wrote:

[ Now that I'm in my *cough* 30's...

*Looks at pic*

And is it just me or do girls welcome threads get more attention..

cough

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi KathiG

KathieG wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Hi Kevin,

I would consider myself a strong atheist. I evolved over time. I started out in a mildly religious protestant home (church on holidays), then was the victim of an attempted brainwash by a devout catholic friend and her family as a young teen. I then started reading the bible...drifted back towards the protestant/congregational side for a short time, and by the age of 22, I was agnostic. From there I did a lot of reading, and evolved into an atheist mindset in my late 20's. Now that I'm in my *cough* 30's...I can safely say I am a "strong" atheist.

Welcome on board;   and  warning do not  smack I AM AS GOD AS YOU around-----he enjoys it tooooo much.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:OK. Guys.

entomophila wrote:

OK. Guys. Er, Ocala is in north central Florida. About an hour south of Gainesville or about an hour north of Orlando, depending upon your point of view. The panhandle is a painful long drive (north and waaaay west)...and a lot more like Alabama than it is Florida.

Kathie, as you can see, we need more estrogen around here.

Ocala is famous for its horses, its lightning...and John Travolta's airport/house.

You got it! John Travolta lives about 4 miles down the road from me...we see his plane take off, and come in to Jumbolair on a regular basis. And yes...this is big horse country, in fact I have a small farm myself and own 3 horses...this is what brought me down here originally. It's rough...I'm the only atheist horse person I know...especially in the barrel racing world. A lot of the girls ride with crosses dangling from their saddles, and everyone has jesus fish, and religious window stickers on their trucks. Imagine how well-received I was at my first barrel race down here...Darwin fish on the truck, and the stereo pumping out techno rather than country.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Just be careful John

Just be careful John Travolta doesn't drop any thetans on you. That could hurt.

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:YaY! More

entomophila wrote:

YaY! More women! Kathie, where are you from in New England? I'm from MA.

I'm in Gainesville, at UF. I think there is a rather large atheist group at UCF.

Anyway, welcome!

Hey...I'm originally from Connecticut, I used to work in the NE corner right over the border from Worcester MA...had quite a few friends in MA.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Kathie. Welcome to the

Hi Kathie. Welcome to the boards.

I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to be the only atheist for miles. I think I have known only one overtly religious person in my entire life, and even she was just a new agy kinda person, believing in reincarnation, angels, spirits, and various pseudo-science stuff. She didn't attend a church (since she more or less had made up her religion herself) and was fairly reasonable and open to debate.

I really feel for all of you who are live deep in religious areas. If ever any of you want to take a break from it all, and can afford and find time for a vacation in Europe, you are all welcome to stay here with me in Copenhagen.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome on board;   and 

Quote:
Welcome on board;   and  warning do not  smack I AM AS GOD AS YOU around-----he enjoys it tooooo much.

Hmmm, I was afraid that might be the case . Oh well...I will think of another suitable punishment to inflict if the need ever arises.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I am as far as I know the

I am as far as I know the only atheist in the town I live in. The Atheist meetup grooup for the nearest city has like 8 people in it - including me - and that includes people from other counties (Wank Falton tried to join but he got booted when they realized what he was like.) I think like 3 people actually went to the last one (not me.) By the way Kathy is a baelicious cutie.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Warrior, KathieG.

Atheist Warrior, KathieG. She's got the POWER ! I'm wild about her ! Thanks proud  women !

A song for bright KathieG , fighting the good fight, to the power and the glory, Go Girls ....  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJIFq1-kXso

Hey, my atheist uncle , brother of my Dad was a fighter for justice. "Flash Gordon" !

Here he is , and KathieG you look like his wife, my cool aunt, no fooling ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Holland

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Atheist Warrior, KathieG. She's got the POWER ! I'm wild about her ! Thanks proud  women !

A song for bright KathieG , fighting the good fight, to the power and the glory, Go Girls ....  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJIFq1-kXso

Hey, my atheist uncle , brother of my Dad was a fighter for justice. "Flash Gordon" !

Here he is , and KathieG you look like his wife, my cool aunt, no fooling ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Holland

Steve Holland was really your uncle? Very cool!  I'll bet he had some stories to tell.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Stories, yeah. Many about

Kathie: Stories, yeah. Many about what he didn't like about show biz, modeling, and wild New York. He wanted to make a living from his passion, painting. He was good ice skater and played hockey for fun.

He was also the cigarette "Winston Man", like the 'Marlboro Man' in the old magazines.  Life; Look etc.

When I was a kid, I was proud of him, but wished he was Superman instead with more powers!    Dad was a screen play and script writer at the "Hollywood Guild" back then. (I was born in Hollywood in 51, an have 2 brothers and 2 sisters, me the oldest)  They were lucky guys ..... like me and you ! 

Be extra nice to yourself Kathie ..... LOL

Aqua_Seal
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Sounds like we're in similar situations as far as drowning in theists.  There are so many churches in the town I live in it's almost funny.  I swear if I see one more Jesus fish...

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Hi Kathie.

Nikolaj wrote:

Hi Kathie. Welcome to the boards.

I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to be the only atheist for miles. I think I have known only one overtly religious person in my entire life, and even she was just a new agy kinda person, believing in reincarnation, angels, spirits, and various pseudo-science stuff. She didn't attend a church (since she more or less had made up her religion herself) and was fairly reasonable and open to debate.

I really feel for all of you who are live deep in religious areas. If ever any of you want to take a break from it all, and can afford and find time for a vacation in Europe, you are all welcome to stay here with me in Copenhagen.

I can't even imagine ever living in an area where a person religion was something I even thought about. Its not so much that the majority of Europeans are atheists (we arent) its just we are secular and generally irreligious. A typical Christian might go to church for a wedding  (through the majority of weddings do not take place in a religious site) or a funeral/baptism etc  and possibly for Christmas (christmas carols are jolly even Richard Dawkins likes them).

Of course the US doesnt have .1% of its population so religious they tend to blow themselves up on trains but thats an entirely different problem of cultural integration rather than religion in my opinion)

PS Why do all Atheist ladies look like angels, are they sent to tempt me to the dark side of believing in fairies etc!!!

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would love nothing more

I would love nothing more than to live in a place where religion isn't being thrown into my face on a regular basis...sounds like vacation!

It wasn't nearly as bad when I lived in Connecticut...religion was around me, but I didn't feel threatened like I sometimes do here in N. Florida. I definitely feel like the minority that I am. I often equate it to the movie "The Matrix"...I feel like I chose the red pill, and am living in reality outside of the matrix while all the Christians around me remain happily attached to their delusions, completely oblivious to reality.

I will say that living in this environment has only strengthened my atheistic views, which is a good thing IMO. I began to read more in preparation for future debates with theists, and I educated myself more than I might have otherwise. I also started to read more about politics because around here...it's usually a package deal (Christian/Republican). It get's exhausting, but I guess I can't say it's ALL bad living in a highly religious area of the country...I think it has strengthened my character. The thing I hate the most is the isolation and lack of like-minded individuals to "hang out" with. I guess that's what brought me here!

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

Yay...the ladies are growing in numbers Smiling

*grabs shotgun* I'll show you something that grows . . . . . Sticking out tongue

Welcome Kat (yes I am too lazy to type out "kathie" but more than willing to explain my laziness in full detail).

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks KathieG for hanging

Thanks KathieG for hanging out all night. Surely you are near ready for bed time stories and relaxing stress relieving play ! .....     ummmmmmm geezzzzz ........ and then a nice restful    It's nice to know you ARE ..... and an A+ GIRL   

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard!  M

Welcome aboard! Smiling

M

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Ignore that noise, it's just the theme from 'Jaws'...happens every time a pretty lady joins the forum...

Enjoy the madness.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote:Welcome

illeatyourdog wrote:

Welcome Kat (yes I am too lazy to type out "kathie" but more than willing to explain my laziness in full detail).

Ah laziness...reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once..."Hard work never killed anyone, but why chance it?"

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
KathieG wrote:Ah

KathieG wrote:

Ah laziness...reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once..."Hard work never killed anyone, but why chance it?"

Indeed Eye-wink

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:Ignore

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Ignore that noise, it's just the theme from 'Jaws'...happens every time a pretty lady joins the forum...

Now the ladies whom are ugly by logical contradistinction know it?

heike6
SuperfanBronze Member
heike6's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Kathie! I am

Welcome, Kathie!

OAFG Logo

I am originally from Orlando (one of the few), and I just wanted to recommend the Orlando Atheists & Freethinkers Meetup Group. I know it is kind of far, but you wouldn't be the only one coming from that area. It's a pretty big group, and it continues to grow as the area's religiosity becomes more intolerable. They have speakers every month and lots of good people.

Your new friend in Atlanta,

Heather

heike6
A single woman with no kids.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Baiting the religious is

Baiting the religious is only fun for so long. At least here you'll find a nice place to chat amongs relatively like-minded people.

Welcome to the group.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
KathieG wrote:I would love

KathieG wrote:

I would love nothing more than to live in a place where religion isn't being thrown into my face on a regular basis...sounds like vacation!

Santa Cruz, Silicon Valley and San Francisco I think are the best places. Used to have the church of Satan out here, but I think they've all died and gone to hell(as they wished).

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
heike6 wrote:Welcome,

heike6 wrote:

Welcome, Kathie!

OAFG Logo

I am originally from Orlando (one of the few), and I just wanted to recommend the Orlando Atheists & Freethinkers Meetup Group. I know it is kind of far, but you wouldn't be the only one coming from that area. It's a pretty big group, and it continues to grow as the area's religiosity becomes more intolerable. They have speakers every month and lots of good people.

Your new friend in Atlanta,

Heather

Hi Heather,

I wish the Orlando group was closer! With gas prices so high, it's an expensive trip. Maybe I can plan on a couple days in Orlando, hit a theme park, and kill two birds with one stone. I will check out their web site. Thanks!