Christian comments on your atheist blog

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian comments on your atheist blog

If you had/have an antheist blog and a Xtian posted a comment not related to anything, just wishing you well, what would you do? Let's say someone posted something along the lines of:

"Hello. I just wanted to say hi and wish you God's protection, love, joy, and guidence. Have a great day and God bless!"

It seems harmless at first glance but to me it is condescending.

How would you respond? Do you say something nice? Say something mean? Delete the comment?

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
How about this:Thank you so

How about this:

Thank you so much for the warm wishes! As a member of the human race it is nice to know that there is another human out there that would take the time out of their day to think of someone else and spend time to send a note of joy and love.

Continue thinking of others and be sure to be easy on yourself. Smile often and tell many jokes. Say hi to strangers...donate your time to volunteer. Do all of these things knowing that there are people in the world that do all of these things without the motivation of a god.

Peace

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd probably say something

I'd probably say something like ' I don't need a god to find love,joy and guidance,and neither do you.Keep rational!"

I definetly wouldn't delete it. That would just make a otherwise seemingly well meaning person who may be open to debate think you're censoring them or afraid of them etc.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd just delete it. I do

I'd just delete it. I do have a "off-topic posts will be axed" policy mentioned in my about page, so, fair warning and all that.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are writing an atheist

You are writing an atheist blog. They intentionally offend your sentiments by writing an overtly christian response apropos nothing in particular (i assume your blog includes as content more than "hi, how are you?" itself), so one must assume it has been written just to offend your sentiments. It is disrespectful. It is an insult.

I see no crisis of conscience here in deleting it, or indeed in alerting the poster publicly as to why it should be deleted. It is not a question of religion. It is a question of good manners.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I would reply,  I AM GOD as

I would reply, 

I AM GOD as YOU .... I am glad you are thinking about G A W E D .... Yes this is awesome ...... So what is your point ?  You found awe , god ?  Wow, this is amazing .....  you can feel it too !  Good for you .... btw , did you know, I AM jesus/buddha too .... you did hear of the perfect christ ???  That is me and you, and so what is the rest of your message or was it a question ???   

ugzog
Bronze Member
ugzog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Three types of Christians

Three types of Christians post here.

1. Angry that we exist Christians, posting to let us know that they are glad we are going to their mythological hell.

2. Sudo-science Christians, they believe we are atheist because we have been fooled by some "magical" science, and believe if the give us some of their "magical" science crap we will convert.

3. Kinder and gentler Christians, they believe we all have been hurt by a xtian in the past, and if they show us a kind and gentle xtains we will convert.

All the above groups are just trying to win some points with their invisible friend.

Man is the only animal in all of nature that cannot accept its own mortality.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

How about this:

[Vogon poetry]

Peace

I've been overreacting recently, so I'm pretty sure "Suck my balls" would be my response. It's just so smarmy and condescending.

Pity (which is apparent in the message) is a terrible way to deal with people. I don't feel sorry for people who believe ridiculous things - they're adults and they can figure shit out for themselves. But people who actively take an interest in others just to pity them and feel superior? "Suck my balls."

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
It never ceases to annoy me

It never ceases to annoy me when someone can't grasp the simple concept that a separate autonomous human can hold positions contrary to theirs.

I only mind comments like that when people object to me responding. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt the first time, but after I ask them not to do that again, then I'll get ticked.

I often respond to people who do that with, "When you invite your Jewish friends over for dinner, do you serve them pork?"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Each case is different

I would go on a case-by-case basis. Partially, it depends on your blog content. If someone had posted that on a post containing a logical proof that the Xian god DNE, then I'd see it as condesending and delete it as a non sequitur. However, if that was on a current events or humor post, I'd might give the commenter the benefit of the doubt and thank them for their kind wishes. Also, if they made a claim like "Jesus is the one True Way," I'd either delete it or ask for evidence.

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Renee

HisWillness wrote:

How about this:

[Vogon poetry]

Peace

I've been overreacting recently, so I'm pretty sure "Suck my balls" would be my response. It's just so smarmy and condescending.

Pity (which is apparent in the message) is a terrible way to deal with people. I don't feel sorry for people who believe ridiculous things - they're adults and they can figure shit out for themselves. But people who actively take an interest in others just to pity them and feel superior? "Suck my balls."

And once again I raise my head and hands to the heavens and scream "Why didn't I develop balls to be able to advise someone to suck!" Smiling

Perhaps I could tell them to suck my crinkly bindlewurdles?

As always, as we can see from this post, there is no ONE way to respond to theists. Each of us have our own unique personality and I for one am glad that none of us agree on how to respond to the OP's scenario.

-Renee

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

I don't know this word and I don't want to.*Attempts to preserve innocence*

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Renee

Loc wrote:

I don't know this word and I don't want to.*Attempts to preserve innocence*

Hehehe--- Innocence upheld, I promise.

It was in reference to HisWillingness mention of Vogon poetry....  Smiling

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

And once again I raise my head and hands to the heavens and scream "Why didn't I develop balls to be able to advise someone to suck!" Smiling

I think Freud had something to say about that. Wait, that was another part. What's funny is that attending university again, I get to hear all the new slang, and 19-year-old women (at least at one university) have decided to disregard biology alltogether and say "suck my dick" without irony. Maybe that's not new, but the idea of taking ownership of male banter is progress, in my opinion.

Terrible. You make it sound like you're made of doilies. For women, "suck my clit" would be appropriate, I guess, except that it sounds too much like an actual invitation. Women have something like 300 years of male speech to catch up on - we can't expect banter equality overnight.

As always, as we can see from this post, there is no ONE way to respond to theists. Each of us have our own unique personality and I for one am glad that none of us agree on how to respond to the OP's scenario

It's still equally frustrating. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only way to deal with people who take it upon themselves to attempt to frustrate you is to ignore them, but sometimes the entertainment value of abusing them is too much to resist.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence