Anyone study psychics on here?

ChosenByPasta
ChosenByPasta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anyone study psychics on here?

I've read a handful of things that criticize psychics and was wondering what anyone on here thinks. My roomate just went to go see one and they knew my name! Weird.

"Every true faith is infallible -- It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. Here the ways of men divide. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search." - Nietzsche

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cold-reading is an amazing

Cold-reading is an amazing thing in the hands of a skilled shyster.

Like most make-believe-turned-delusion, successful psychics will not let themselves be studied (bad for the profits) and any psychic who allows themselves to be studied comes up with long lists of reasons they failed, every last reason laying blame at the feet of those doing the study.

For some telling video, search youtube for "James Randi". Rent some "Penn & Teller's BULLSHIT" DVDs, they had a few really good eps poping cold-readers.

And you can also Google for "cold reading".

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
They knew  your name was

They knew  your name was chosenbypasta??  Damn dude!

Smiling

I have never been to one...they are very good at reading peoples body language, eye movements, tone of voice...very sneaky people those psychics.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

ChosenByPasta
ChosenByPasta's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've known that I have been

I've known that I have been the chosen one for over two years. DON'T QUESTION MY AUTHORITAE! haha

Yeah I've looked at randi a bit. He is good.

"Every true faith is infallible -- It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. Here the ways of men divide. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search." - Nietzsche

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I am a reverse psycic.

I am a reverse psychic.  Shit comes out of my ass instead of my mouth.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Darren Brown is the best

Darren Brown is the best when it comes to these things. Youtube him...It will change your mind on a variety of things.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote:I am a reverse

Tarpan wrote:

I am a reverse psychic.  Shit comes out of my ass instead of my mouth.

I gotta remember that one.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Australian Skeptics have

The Australian Skeptics have a standing $100,000 tax free prize for any psychic etc that can prove themselves.

No takers yet.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51