Religion dominance

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Religion dominance

That's just a little question. Imagine situation not so far from now:

Theist numbers increased, democracy failed, government taken over by some religious fanatic. (Every atheists nightmare)

Only less than 5% of population are atheists, another 20% are members of other religious organisations or atheists "in the closet". The rest are more or less religious fanatics. Atheists and other religion members are sort of outlaws. So the big question is: what would you do? would you try to fight? or would you go on with the crowd in trying to protect yourself?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't  really know. I

I don't  really know. I don't think I could pretend to be a christian 24/7 again. I did that for long enough after becoming an atheist,and still do to a lesser degree.I could not sit through church services weekly and stay calm.

The most logical thing to do would of course be to leave the country if possilbe. So guess I'd try that.

Fanas wrote:

Theist numbers increased, democracy failed, government taken over by some religious fanatic. (Every atheists nightmare)

No,that's bannanas

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:I don't  really

Loc wrote:

I don't  really know. I don't think I could pretend to be a christian 24/7 again. I did that for long enough after becoming an atheist,and still do to a lesser degree.I could not sit through church services weekly and stay calm.

The most logical thing to do would of course be to leave the country if possilbe. So guess I'd try that.

Fanas wrote:

No,that's bannanas

Well that's the second worst after bananas. Laughing out loud

But imagine, that not only your country, but the whole world is in such a chaos.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Well if that happened, I'd

Well if that happened, I'd just GTFO.

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd rocket myself off into

I'd rocket myself off into space...

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fun as it is to think of

Fun as it is to think of macho answers to scenarios like this, I can't honestly say I'd stand there with my arms crossed - defiant to the last - watching as the inquisitors stoked the fire I was to be thrown in. After I read the 'The End of Faith', I couldn't get the imagine out of my head of one of the torture methods he described:

You are positioned over a mice-filled pot or cauldron, with your gut blocking the top. A fire is ignited under the pot/cauldron, and so the mice - attempting to escape the lethal heat - tunnel right through your instestines.

I can only stand in total awe of the courage of early scholars and scientists who were under the threat of that kind of fate, and just went about contributing to mankind anyway. I won't lie; if the world suddenly caved-in and a new Inquisition was afoot, I'd probably convert if the alternative was a very real threat of horrific torture unto death. I'm a pretty big sissy when it comes to physical pain.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Mazid the Raider
Rational VIP!Science Freak
Mazid the Raider's picture
User is offlineOffline
man, fuck that

Yeah, it's Gamma Tango Foxtrot Oscar for me. I'd bog off to Sweden or Japan faster than you could say "Fight or Flight."

I'm serious about that. If something happens to extend the Bush regime I'm TFO of here. I'll send you a postcard from Akihabara.

"But still I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me!" ~Rudyard Kipling

Mazid the Raider says: I'd rather face the naked truth than to go "augh, dude, put some clothes on or something" and hand him some God robes, cause you and I know that the naked truth is pale, hairy, and has an outie
Entomophila says: Ew. AN outie

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:You are

Kevin R Brown wrote:

You are positioned over a mice-filled pot or cauldron, with your gut blocking the top. A fire is ignited under the pot/cauldron, and so the mice - attempting to escape the lethal heat - tunnel right through your instestines.

How about this one?

Quote:

There is no doubt that you will burn, but it is the burning of the mortal flesh that we focus on here. Of the many different fires that can be unleashed upon you, this is perhaps the most agonizing, and quite assuredly the most prolonged. After you are bound to the stake, as in many other burnings, rather than surround you with timbers to be burned, I will place piles of hot coals at your feet. These are constantly replenished so as never to allow a respite from the intense heat which they throw forth. You may wonder at the purpose of this, but all too soon you will understand.

The hot coals, instead of incinerating the whole of your body as does a normal burning, causes a slow cooking, if you will, of the flesh. As the outer skin is seared away, the more sensitive tissues underneath are exposed to the heat, and they too are baked to the point of ash. Eventually, all that remains is bone. Making this an even more enduring process is the fact that the pile of coals is only gradually built. This results in you being alive as you witness first your feet, then legs, and finally torso fall victim to the starving embers.

Actual torture method used on heretics back in the dark ages.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mazid the Raider wrote:Yeah,

Mazid the Raider wrote:

Yeah, it's Gamma Tango Foxtrot Oscar for me. I'd bog off to Sweden or Japan faster than you could say "Fight or Flight."

I'm serious about that. If something happens to extend the Bush regime I'm TFO of here. I'll send you a postcard from Akihabara.

Sweden's probably worse than America with the Islamists gaining power and the PC elites not only denying the problem themselves but making every effort to block and demonize those who do recognise it.

Japan's a good choice though!

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Kevin R Brown

Watcher wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

How about this one?

Quote:

There is no doubt that you will burn, but it is the burning of the mortal flesh that we focus on here. Of the many different fires that can be unleashed upon you, this is perhaps the most agonizing, and quite assuredly the most prolonged. After you are bound to the stake, as in many other burnings, rather than surround you with timbers to be burned, I will place piles of hot coals at your feet. These are constantly replenished so as never to allow a respite from the intense heat which they throw forth. You may wonder at the purpose of this, but all too soon you will understand.

The hot coals, instead of incinerating the whole of your body as does a normal burning, causes a slow cooking, if you will, of the flesh. As the outer skin is seared away, the more sensitive tissues underneath are exposed to the heat, and they too are baked to the point of ash. Eventually, all that remains is bone. Making this an even more enduring process is the fact that the pile of coals is only gradually built. This results in you being alive as you witness first your feet, then legs, and finally torso fall victim to the starving embers.

Yea, but i wouldn't let myselft beeing catched. I would kill as many as possible and then either escape or kill myself.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
What I would do

Personally I would fight every legal possible way, until all options are exhausted, only then would I resort to violence (however if it occurs in the US, they are on their own, if it happens in Canada I will fight). There are ways to fight these "governments" from the inside, however you have to exhaust all options before picking up arms to defend your ideals.

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd probably GTFO, and leave

I'd probably GTFO, and leave the U.S. to its new dark age.  So far as I know, we only get one shot at life, and I don't want to waste anymore of mine pretending to be Christian, and dieing for my lack of beliefs doesn't sound like a rational alternative either.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
hazindu wrote:I'd probably

hazindu wrote:

I'd probably GTFO, and leave the U.S. to its new dark age.  So far as I know, we only get one shot at life, and I don't want to waste anymore of mine pretending to be Christian, and dieing for my lack of beliefs doesn't sound like a rational alternative either.

There's no such alternative. There is only: die or believe

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Szzziifffle* This is the

*Szzziifffle*

This is the C.I.A

our phishing programs have logged all that was said here

We look forward to your arrival at Guartonamo Bay

-----

Boy am i glad i didnt say that i would destroy the US >.>

------

*Szzziifffle*

We heard that

-------

DAMN!

What Would Kharn Do?

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fanas wrote:hazindu

Fanas wrote:

hazindu wrote:

There's no such alternative. There is only: die or believe

I can't believe.  Is pretending to believe good enough?  Seriously, depending on the situation, I'd probably pretend to believe and try to make the best of it.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

ugzog
Bronze Member
ugzog's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's hard to say, if my wife

It's hard to say, if my wife and kid are a live, I fake it. If I was all alone, I go underground and fight.

Man is the only animal in all of nature that cannot accept its own mortality.

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Actual torture

Watcher wrote:

And this performed by people who are supposedly following Jesus' loving, compassionate way of life?

I think if this country deteriorated to that point I'd just leave, if I could, not just out of fear of an anti-atheist holocaust but because it would no longer be worth fighting for. There are plenty of other nice countries to live in. Leave these people to kill each other off, and I'm sure their would be plenty of fighting between the different churches if the mentality had sunk to that level.

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

pettman
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:Mazid the

Strafio wrote:

Mazid the Raider wrote:

Sweden's probably worse than America with the Islamists gaining power and the PC elites not only denying the problem themselves but making every effort to block and demonize those who do recognise it.

Japan's a good choice though!

We haven't go any islamist running about here (I live in Sweden), if we've got they are really well hidden.

Most moslems I know would probably be offended if I said that I thougt the koran was bogus but I don't think anyone of them would resort to violence to shut me up. Overall they are pretty secularised and keep their religion to themselves.

Whence comes this notion that Europe is full of islamists? I haven't seen anything about it in newspapers or any other media.

grind119
grind119's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would probably move to

I would probably move to Canada, they seem nice, or I really enjoyed Switzerland, or Holland some place like that... It's not worth killing myself over if it gets that bad, I have a kid to take care of so I would have to get used to the metric system then.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
grind119 wrote:I have a kid

grind119 wrote:

I have a kid to take care of so I would have to get used to the metric system then.

Haha - yeah, that would probably be the worst change from US to Canada. Also fewer flags. Canada doesn't have the same I-am-more-patriotic-than-you contest going on that the US does, with eight flags sticking out of every house on a street.

Speaking of which, if that's the contest, how come service(wo)men don't win it? I mean, really. You go somewhere, preferably a place with a resource, shoot at some guys, almost get shot, secure said resource, and then come home. Meanwhile, everyone's having the contest without you, and then when you get home it's like nothing happened. As if you seriously have to do any flag waving after that.

They should just declare you guys the winners of the patriot race and let it go. Waving a flag just doesn't seem as much of a value statement as serving does.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence