The bee rapture and other idiocy considering CCD

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The bee rapture and other idiocy considering CCD

Not sure how many of you have heard of CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder - or the die-off of honeybees recently.) Anyway it has spawned tons of irrational explanations - from the at least plausible (cell phones cause it) to the idiotic (God made a rapture for bees) to jokes (they are making crop circles.) And of course the Einstein quote that he never actually made (that if honeybees die, humans will become extinct in 4 years.) Like to hear comments.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm actually curious to hear

I'm actually curious to hear what people think of this.  The latest I heard is that if any more bees die off we're going to have a food crisis.  Why I imagine that there is truth to that, I feel like the news media has once again tried to scare the crap out of us by using terrifying headlines.  I understand that this sort of thing has happened before but scientists are scratching their heads as to the cause of it.  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The latest I've heard is due

The latest I've heard is due to some kind of fungus which has spread due to the weird weather we're having.  That's the believed cause in Europe apparently and they're now looking for signs of this or something similar in America.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A few deaths in general

A few deaths in general wouldn't mean much, but this is a very bad global situation. 4 years is a nonsensical suggestion, but it does still have some very real economic and social consequences. Agriculture will be very hard hit. And a significant number of beekeepers will be going out of business. Some farmers have lost up to 90% of their bees. Replacing them is logistically impossible when almost every farmer has the same problem.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
The cell phone thing is a

The cell phone thing is a crock, I don't know why that has even persisted.  Probably the most probable is the bees being affected by pesticides on the plants they pollinate.  Organic honey farmers have not experienced a loss of bee colonies.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Not sure

MattShizzle wrote:
Not sure how many of you have heard of CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder - or the die-off of honeybees recently.) Anyway it has spawned tons of irrational explanations - from the at least plausible (cell phones cause it) to the idiotic (God made a rapture for bees) to jokes (they are making crop circles.) And of course the Einstein quote that he never actually made (that if honeybees die, humans will become extinct in 4 years.) Like to hear comments.

Yeah I kinda agree the 4 years seems a little over the top but from what I read 25% of what we eat is directly or indirectly related to honey bees.  That is a huge %. 

If food production was to be cut by 25% food prices would rise more than 25%.  I guess the range of $ would go up from 33% to 50% in the US and many times more in non industrialized nations.

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta