This is more difficult that losing religion

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
This is more difficult that losing religion

I'm experiencing a bit of mental exhaustion recently after finding this website.  I was raised to be very religiously protestant christian and believed it most my life.  Deeply.  I was in the US Navy for 6 years where I spent at least 2 of those years floating in the ocean.  I read voraciously on all kinds of things.  Evolution, cosmology, civilization, history, etc.  Didn't pay much attention to religion during those years.  Told myself that I was "straying" but that I was sure I would come back to the Lord eventually.  I left the Navy when I was 28.  When I was 30 I first admitted both vocally (with a quiet voice) and internally, that I no longer believed in theism.

After that I was fine.  I became more tolerant.  More loving.  More amazed at my existence and life, the world, everything.  It was like my first morning. 

Since those days I've trundled along contentedly, arguing on various occasional forums (forums that were not directly for or against belief in a god) against theists.  It was relatively easy.  They(the theists I encountered) never argued much with atheists in their past, where as I argued at my theist self for years,  Wretching my own theism from myself based on what I learned over the years.  I simply used the same arguments on them that I used on myself.

This website is a concentration the contention.  The main point of battle over it all.  A deep knowledge of debate is needed.  Terms learned like "Strawman argument" or "Argument of Consequence".  I've never studied professional debate.  I am just now learning these concepts.  I lost religion internally, debating with myself.  Not against others versed in the skill of debate.  So mostly I have been a spectator.  Observing, reading, studying.

But the odd thing...I find this horrible.  Which is really freaking odd, because finally admitting I didn't believe in religion was not bad at all for me.  It was like admitting a beloved family member had died long ago and really wasn't coming home after years of denial.  This is like watching the dissection of said family member directly in front of me.

I watch the debates, read the debates, and NOTHING the theists or "ID'ers" say make sense to me.  Even when the atheists are poor debaters.  Even when the theist could obviously wipe the ground with me in a debate due to their debating skills and verbal tactics.  Nothing makes me doubt my decision that religion is BS.  It all makes me actually more strongly atheist.  But I feel horrid.  I used to be pissed.  Angry at the rememberance of the fear of hell, of praying to god for help with tears streaming down my face in teenage angst, of being deluded by religion.

I don't feel angry right now.  I feel sick.  I feel like crawling in a corner and sleeping forever.  After just two weeks of viewing the verbal battles.  I want to stop thinking.  Just drown in alcohol or something to shut down the brain.

I think maybe its because my atheism is so young.  I'm not looking for any consolation, so go ahead and call me a whiny whatever, that seems to be a common response when anyone online admits feeling upset about anything.  Which is rather odd, because the implication is that you should never admit to being upset or distressed about anything no matter what happens.  But hey, if it makes you feel good, go for it.  I find the fact that this is so much more painful than actually originally losing religion extremely odd and not something that I can really make sense of.  And I wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Fuck religion.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Maybe i am missing

Maybe i am missing the point of why you are feeling upset....is it because you feel you were deceived? If so, yes i do understand that, i have been deceived by others in terms of business deals, and I can comphrend why you would feel upset i guess is the best term here. I personally have been an atheist for as long as i can remember, so never had to deal with such things in regards to religion, to me it has always been just deceitful ideology.

However knowing that you don't believe is a good thing, as long as your honest with yourself. With that said, understanding the reasoning behind it is also important, knowing and understanding i have found don't always go hand in hand. There are many theists and atheists alike that know that they believe/disbelieve but don't or better yet, cannot understand why properly.

Just like accepting it as well (not saying you don't accept yourself as an atheist as you have made it quite clear that your fine with it) but like many others out there, they know it, but don't accept it. Much like death, we all know we are going to die, but not everyone accepts it

However admitting to being upset about something doesn't give anyone the right to label you as a pussy or whiney or anything, i find it much hard to be forth coming with your feeling than hiding behind a mask, hiding is far easier and the chicken shit way out. Having your emotions on your sleeve is far harder, because you are open to all forms of hostility that way. 

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
I feel ya. My daily ritual

I feel ya. My daily ritual used to consist of logging on to the internet right when I wake up, but ever since I started coming here, I usually do other things... like go for a morning jog... or do intense arithmetic. You know, something to prepare myself mentally for this site.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow... I wonder if someone

Wow... I wonder if someone is passing around kool-aid.

This is the third post this week about someone who's gotten completely depressed after becoming an atheist.

This is good news, and bad news.  The good news is that people are becoming atheists, and when they get over their anger/resentment/depression at being fooled for so long, they're likely not going to want to let others suffer the same fate in the future, and will vocally try to keep theism from spreading any more.

The bad news is that it really sucks.  I know.  I've been there, done that.  Lots of us have.

The only thing I can say is this:  You don't have to become a debater if you don't want to.  You know the rest of us are here, and if someone needs to debate, point them at us.  Just being atheist and proud of it will go a long way towards helping us do what we do.

Ok, one other thing.  When I realized how many of us there are, it was heartening.  I've managed to live for the last 10 or 12 years with almost all atheist/non-theist friends, and it's been really nice.  It takes work to find others, but it's getting better.

Please try to keep your um.. spirit... up.  These feelings really do pass with time.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Wow...

Hambydammit wrote:

Wow... I wonder if someone is passing around kool-aid.

This is the third post this week about someone who's gotten completely depressed after becoming an atheist.

This thread is more about how theist thinking depresses him and how their arguements suck.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can suffer "burnout"

You can suffer "burnout" enguaging anything or any issue. This has to do with your comfort level and the ability to take a step back when need be. You might merely just need a break.

People suffer burnout on sports on jobs on school and it is not due to the issue it is due to the overstimulation.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: People

Brian37 wrote:

People suffer burnout on sports on jobs on school and it is not due to the issue it is due to the overstimulation.

That actually makes a lot of sense.  I believe it is the level of overstimulation on the topic that got to me. 

Losing religion never depressed me.  I think I just need to take a breather.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci