My introduction and story

the_wombat
the_wombat's picture
User is offlineOffline
My introduction and story

Greeting RRS denizens! This is just a short introduction of me and my history with religion and I will follow it up with a discussion question. I grew up in a Methodist church to not entirely fervent parents. Although we did go to churchevery Sunday, bible study/prayer was never a big part of our day to day lives. When I was around 11, I began to recognize the severe hypocrisy of the vast majority of the louder Christians I knew. Fortunately for me, my parents allowed me to make my own decisions. I have not attended a church service that didn't involve a wedding or funeral since then. Although I didn't actively participate, I was still a theist albeit a generic one. In my late teens, I started reading more about eastern religions and philosophy including Buddhism and Taoism. In my early 20s, I met my future ex-wife. She was Catholic, but she really didn't spend much time talking about it and she never tried to convert me. We decided to go with the "all you need is love" theory and that our religious differences wouldn't be a problem. 
About a year later, the first of the fruits of this love arrived int he form of our daughter and 2 years later came our son. As the kids began to get into their toddler years, her church attendance escalated from maybe once a month to every week. When the kids reached school age, she decided she wanted them to go to a Catholic School. While I was aprehensive and a bit unsure of sendng them to a religious school, she sold the school on the precept that they would get a better education over the public schools. I conceded the issue. Eventually, our differences became more and more of a strain. With every new ceremnoy the kids participated in, I became more and more uncomfortable with attending these events and the forcing of religion on the children. 
We seperated after 9 years. The kids continued to attend the Catholic school but recently my 11 year old has begun to logically question the "truths" being taught to her in religion class. When she asks these questions or contadicts ny of the dogma, she has been ridiculed or told that she is a sinner by her fellow classmates. Even she recognizes that the religion is breeding hatred.
As for me, my journey from Christianity to generic monotheism to agnostic atheism concluded 3 years ago. The final straw was the realization that theism of any stripe necessitates at some point abandoning the search for further knowledge in favor of accepting a creator as the final answer. A cursory examination of history shows the consequences of this from the improsonment of Galileo to the unrational fear of  embyonic stem cell research. 
And now for my question. I have an atheist friend with whom I watched the nightline debate. She disapproved of the Blasphemy Challenge as being overly confrontational and provocative.  In her view, it doesn't serve to educate or motivate anyone to learn more.  To her, it's no better than street preaching. Her approach has aways been to "fit in". When someone assumes her to be Christian, she simply nods and changes the subject. Basically avoiding conflict on the question. I don't agree. Sometimes it takes something jarring to wake people up and notice so the more rational and convincing arguments can spread. I'm interested if there's similar disagreements here.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, glad you are

Welcome, glad you are here.

My posistion on the Blasphemy Challenge is it was meant to show people are not afraid of the non-existant. There are people from all walks of life and all age groups who do not fear the threat of the mythological hell and it is time that people knew we are out there.