Pasta-Loving Parrot Proves Providence of FSM:

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pasta-Loving Parrot Proves Providence of FSM:

Pirates exist.
Pirates are the chosen people of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Parrots exist
Parrots are the chosen pets of Pirates.
Pasta exists.
Pasta is the chosen communion of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Parrots love pasta (photographic proof).
The FSM exists.
Only a deity could exist to set events in motion to cause the previous 4 statements to be true. The only proposed deity to link all these statements is the FSM.
Therefore, the FSM exists.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awesome. I think you should

Awesome. I think you should also throw in some threat that if you don't believe in the FSM, the parrot will hack your eyes out for eternity.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why is it, when most birds

Why is it, when most birds open their mouths, their tongues stick out too?

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Is that a conure?

Is that a conure?

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote: Why is it,

Ophios wrote:
Why is it, when most birds open their mouths, their tongues stick out too?

A parrot's tongue is a very important tool.  It's very sensitive and flexible.  Parrots use it to maneuver seeds and other foods between their powerful upper and lower mandibles.  So what you're seeing in this picture is my parrot scooping up noodles with his tongue and upper beak.

Interestingly enough, parrots are one of the few kinds of birds that actually have taste buds.  My parrot's favorite food really is pasta, in any kind of sauce. Smiling

Since and mammals are separated by about 350,000,000 years of evolution there are some differences.  Most birds don't have much of a sense of smell.  The most notable exception is the turkey vulture which has one of the best senses of smell in the animal kingdom.  Tube-noses (petrels, albatross, etc.) have a limited sense of smell.  I don't think parrots have any sense of smell to speak of.

Birds have very, very keen eyesight.  They not only see in color, they can see into the ultraviolet.  Their retinas are filled with rods and cones, plus something that looks like a double cone which possibly allows them to see colors we can't.  (I need to do a little more research on this.)

Interestingly, bird and mammals both developed warm-bloodedness and four-chambered hearts (convergent evolution).  It's also interesting to note that parrots, despite a completely different brain structure, seem to be quite intelligent.  Check out Dr. Irene Pepperberg's studies on African grey parrots.  Apparently, parrots not only "think," but they can learn to think and categorize in ways similar to mammalian brains.  Dr. Pepperberg's studies suggest that African grey parrots perform at or above the cognitive level of chimps and dolphins.

(It's morning and I'm too lazy to edit this much...pthththt.) 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: Is that a

MrRage wrote:
Is that a conure?

Nope.  He's a double yellowheaded Amazon parrot: Amazona ochrecephala oratrix.  I'm generalizing here, but genus Amazona is between conures and macaws in size.  Also, conures and macaws are very closely related.  Amazons live in the same geographical range, but are quite different.  The conures and macaws have long tail feathers which technically make them new world "parakeets."  Amazons have short, square tails which makes them "true parrots."  Of course, parakeets, conures, macaws, cockatoos, Amazons, lories, lorikeets, etc. are all part of the parrot family: psittacines.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote: Awesome. I

KSMB wrote:

Awesome. I think you should also throw in some threat that if you don't believe in the FSM, the parrot will hack your eyes out for eternity.

How about this?

"The Flying Spaghetti Monster loves you...and if you don't believe it, this parrot with gouge out your eyes for eternity." 

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the info, Iruka

Thanks for the info, Iruka Naminori. That was interesting. I'm wanting to get some sort of bird when I my life stabilizes and I get a place of my own.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was amazed to find out

I was amazed to find out how time-consuming and complex it can be to care for birds.  I have a friend with lots (and lots) of birds.  Some will actually get sick and die from loneliness if they aren't given enough attention.  She even had the guts to take in a couple of toucans which really take a lot of work and a specialized diet.

When I visit her house, I definitely have to be prepared for birds making quite a bit of noise.  Not to mention, I've always been a teeny bit nervous around a couple of them that bite.  Yes, it's love bites, but the hurt all the same! 

It takes a special person to be a good bird-parent! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: I was amazed

Susan wrote:

I was amazed to find out how time-consuming and complex it can be to care for birds. I have a friend with lots (and lots) of birds. Some will actually get sick and die from loneliness if they aren't given enough attention. She even had the guts to take in a couple of toucans which really take a lot of work and a specialized diet.

When I visit her house, I definitely have to be prepared for birds making quite a bit of noise. Not to mention, I've always been a teeny bit nervous around a couple of them that bite. Yes, it's love bites, but the hurt all the same!

It takes a special person to be a good bird-parent!

This is very true.

I used to breed parrots: African greys and Senegals. One of the many reasons I quit breeding is I felt so responsible for what happened to the babies. Some of them came to a sad end.

Because of my chronic illnesses I had to give up one of my parrots, a Senegal I'd had for eleven years. I owned her parents, monitored her while she hatched and raised her from a three-week-old fuzzy baby.

So I urge anyone interested in being owned by a parrot to check out a shelter, first. My little Senegal was finally adopted out by The Gabriel Foundation : http://www.thegabrielfoundation.org/Home/ .

If anyone gets a used bird, I bet this is a good book: The Second-Hand Parrot: http://tinyurl.com/2qd4y2 . I haven't read it, but I've read other books by Mattie Sue Athan.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like this methodology.

I like this methodology. Laughing out loud

Scientists exist.
Scientists are the chosen people of The GameMaster.
Bats exist
Bats are the chosen pets of scientists(I can rationalize this, hush!).
Vastet exists(Oh yes I do!).
Vastet is the chosen disciple of The GameMaster.
Bats love Vastet (photographic proof below).
The GameMaster exists.

Worship him or suffer the hell of forever gaming on the same level without ever progressing to the next!

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ahhhh... it's soooo

Ahhhh... it's soooo cuuuute!!!

<3 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
How adorable!  Sugar

How adorable!  Sugar glider?

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: How adorable!

Susan wrote:
How adorable! Sugar glider?

LOL...did you read the post? Smiling  It's a bat, order chiroptera. Smiling  I don't know bat species very well, so you'll have to ask. Smiling 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

Susan wrote:

LOL...did you read the post? Smiling It's a bat, order chiroptera. Smiling I don't know bat species very well, so you'll have to ask. Smiling

Duh! Yes, I did. But I got so engrossed with the picture I kinda lost track by the time I wrote my post.

Maybe I'll be redeemed and we'll find out that a sugar glider is part of the bat family.

*fingers crossed*

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:

Susan wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

Susan wrote:

LOL...did you read the post? Smiling It's a bat, order chiroptera. Smiling I don't know bat species very well, so you'll have to ask. Smiling

Duh! Yes, I did. But I got so engrossed with the picture I kinda lost track by the time I wrote my post.

Maybe I'll be redeemed and we'll find out that a sugar glider is part of the bat family.

*fingers crossed*

LOL...sorry, but sugar gliders are marsupials, I think. Goes to check...

Yep, sorry:

"The Sugar Glider (Petaurus breviceps), sometimes called the Flying Sugar, is a small gliding possum native to eastern and northern mainland Australia, New Guinea, and the Bismarck Archipelago, and introduced to Tasmania."

Sticking out tongue Hehe...just kiddin'. Smiling

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bat - Marsupial - Heck, the

Bat - Marsupial - Heck, the darned thing is cute regardless.

(It's nice to know I can actually learn something this late at night! Thanks for the info.)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a common brown bat I

It's a common brown bat I found in the warehouse part of where I work. Took him a day or so before he was ready to fly off again. He was one of my more interesting experiences.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's nice to know that there

It's nice to know that there are others out there that will rescue all sorts of critters.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kicking this for Gabby's

Kicking this for Gabby's birthday. Eye-wink