My Pet Dinosaur (Warning: Pics!)

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
My Pet Dinosaur (Warning: Pics!)

One of the most interesting developments in paleontology in the last ten years has been the near irrefutable proof that birds evolved from small, feathered theropod dinosaurs, and are, therefore, dinosaurs themselves. A beautiful quarry in China has rendered up some beautiful fossils, including that of Microraptor zhaoianus, a small dromaeosaur with flight feathers on its arms and legs.

Dromaeosaurs are erroneously referred to as "raptors," in large part due to the Jurassic Park movie. Dromaeosaurs include utahraptor, deinonychus, velociraptor, dromaeosaurus, etc. They're the cool little beasties with the sickle-claw on the hind food.

I love this artist's impression of microraptor:

Sometimes I feel like my own pet dinosaur, a parrot named Gabby (Amazona ochrecephala oratrix), could star in a Jurassic Park movie. He's vicious enough, but you gotta love him! For some reason, he became fixated on an "evil" blue towel and went out of his way to kill it. Smiling Here's my own little relation to the dromaeosaurs, proving he's as mean as any velociraptor:

Gabby eyes the evil blue towel:

Gabby displays at the evil blue towel:

Gabby advances on the evil blue towel:

Gabby DESTROYS the evil blue towel:

Is it dead???

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very interesting. I like the

Very interesting. I like the pics!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a cutie!  Gabby

What a cutie!  Gabby protects you from evil blue towels while my Emily Jean protects me from the growing family of dustballs comprised completely of cat hair. 

(Can't call them hair balls because that would be an incorrect impression.) 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe they're "dust

Maybe they're "dust kitties"? Smiling

Once you get enough of them, have you considered making another cat?  I have a large collection of moulted Gabby feathers which I use to threaten him: "You can be replaced." Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

Maybe they're "dust kitties"? Smiling

Once you get enough of them, have you considered making another cat? I have a large collection of moulted Gabby feathers which I use to threaten him: "You can be replaced." Smiling

Whatever they are, they are growing and reproducing at an alarming rate.  I have found that hardwood floors, especially with stairs, seem to increase their fertility.

At one time I had a cleaning person who moved my dresser.  (Who cares about the dust behind the dresser?  After all, nobody looks there!) I saw him lean behind the dresser and proclaim "Hi Kitty!"  I was terrified one of the kitties had gotten behind it and was stuck.  I rushed to the rescue.

It was, in fact, the largest ball of cat hair I've ever seen.  Yup, the size of a full-grown cat.  Perhaps I should have saved it so I could threaten Emily Jean the next time she picks on Stella.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm kicking this for his

I'm kicking this for his birthday.

Happy Birthday, Gabs!!!!!!