Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
.... thats... thats one of

.... thats... thats one of the saddest stories ive ever seen...

*sniffle*

I hope that kittens alright

Hahaha...

But i kid...

I hope they both drown >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
It may seem silly that

It may seem silly that someone would do something that resulted in their death while aiding an animal. Unfortunetly it happens all the time. Shame on people for not wanting to let animals suffer.

Her death was tragic. I saw nothing in the article that seems like reasonable justification to mock her death. It's sad that some have used her death to make some money or provide amusement.

R/

Lenny

www.kaosium.org

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Subdi, Natural selection

Subdi,

Natural selection is funny. Sorry.

I find your righteous indignation unfitting of someone with "He who dies with the most toys, still dies." on the website. lol. Death is funny and horrible AND sometimes preventable given one's propensity for self preservation.

In philosophy, the professor asked, "Is there anything you would willingly die for?"

Would you not expect to be laughed out of the room for sayin "kittens"?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Master Jedi Dan
Master Jedi Dan's picture
User is offlineOffline
No surprise, they're from

No surprise, they're from my home state of New Mexico.  Here's another one waiting to happen:

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
eu·gen·ics the study

eu·gen·ics

the study of or belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population, esp. by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits (negative eugenics) or encouraging reproduction by persons presumed to have inheritable desirable traits (positive eugenics).

We definetly need more ^^

What Would Kharn Do?

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Well. Let's see if this

Well. Let's see if this draws the nutjob posters like the last time.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: "He who

darth_josh wrote:

"He who dies with the most toys, still dies."

My take on that quote is that it's more important to live your life than spend your life pursuing "things/toys".

darth_josh wrote:
In philosophy, the professor asked, "Is there anything you would willingly die for?"

Would you not expect to be laughed out of the room for sayin "kittens"?

I don't think that woman would have stepped forward to volunteer to lay down her life for her kitten. I guess my hardish feelings on this subject come from my experience as a volunteer firefighter and Red Cross Instructor. Almost all of the deaths I came in contact with were due to accidents. Way too many babies drown in buckets the way this unfortunate woman did. In any event being an atheist, I know without a doubt how precious life is. I'm sorry if you find my inability to appreciate or find humor in the unfortunate deaths of others offensive.

R/

Lenny

www.kaosium.org

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Any humor in this incident

Any humor in this incident is decidedly dark. Truthfully, I wonder if I saw the kitten drowning if I would have attempted to save it. And if so, would I have thought through it long enough to see the danger in reaching into the barrel. But this really is how natural selection works. Given enough incidents of this nature, humans that don't think it through will eventually be culled from the gene pool. It may be sad and sobering, but that's the way it is.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: But this really is

Quote:
But this really is how natural selection works. Given enough incidents of this nature, humans that don't think it through will eventually be culled from the gene pool.

You've clearly never visited southern Georgia.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:
eu·gen·ics
the study of or belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population, esp. by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits (negative eugenics) or encouraging reproduction by persons presumed to have inheritable desirable traits (positive eugenics).

We definetly need more ^^

Oh boy, here we go again!  lol. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Subdi Visions wrote: . I'm

Subdi Visions wrote:

. I'm sorry if you find my inability to appreciate or find humor in the unfortunate deaths of others offensive.

Offensive? No way.

However, I think it is highly irrational to believe that no one should laugh.

Challenger jokes. Sonny Bono skiing jokes. Dale Earnhardt jokes. My favorite jesus jokes saved for 'good Friday'. etc.

Making fun of death, to me, is natural.

Avoiding death is more important.

That woman probably saved a life somewhere in the future because someone read that story and made a mental note to: "Let the friggin' cat drown if that ever happens."

I understand your point of view. Nay. I have 'experienced' your point of view. I have been the one to check for a pulse twice in my life so far. Both times my mouth and brain connected and I said something considered 'off-color'. I was ostracized from that group of friends for my insensitive nature.

"Guess he didn't make the turn."

and

"Guess he couldn't handle it after all. Pot and PCP only work for some of us."

Truck flips over and lands back on its wheels. Beer bottles fly everywhere. Driver is sitting bolt upright in his seat. Sheriff's deputy and I stop and run over to the truck at the same time. Deputy tells the guy to get out. He sits there. Deputy opens the door and dude's head falls straight back 90 degrees to his body. Deputy starts screaming his freaking head off fumbling with his shoulder microphone. He couldn't even call it in to dispatch. I had to sit him down away from the road and give directions to the EMS. Fucktard was drinking and driving and dying in the middle of the evening. So passes another.

Meanwhile, I was driving home from the titty bar where I had cokes(coca cola) to drink and tipped dancers and waitresses. Had Mr. funbottle killed me as well as himself then would that have been considered a 'two for one' special? lol. Considering the fact that I smelled like cheap stripper perfume, I wonder what the coroner's reaction would have been. "Jeesh! Did a dollar store perfume truck crash into this guy?"

This 'reverence' for the 'sanctity' of death seems to me to be just another conditioned response. More care for the dead than the living. That's all I'm saying here because I've been writing a diatribe on this subject for a while. You can read that when I'm finished and anathematize me then.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
LMAO. Maybe I'm the nutjob

LMAO. Maybe I'm the nutjob poster I warned you about.

dave805
dave805's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Dieing in a 55 gal water

Dieing in a 55 gal water drum... = Stupid..

Having a electrical cord in a pool = Really really stupid. 

And now for something funny  

Taking a small boat out to catch a huge shark and having that image PS to show a actors face = Priceless.... 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait a minute. How the hell

Wait a minute.

How the hell did a kitten get on top of that barrel?

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
dave805 wrote:   Dieing

dave805 wrote:

Dieing in a 55 gal water drum... = Stupid..

Having a electrical cord in a pool = Really really stupid.

And now for something funny

Taking a small boat out to catch a huge shark and having that image PS to show a actors face = Priceless....

We're going to need a bigger barrel. 

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had the same thought. 

I had the same thought.  Sounds like there might be a little more to it.  Wonder if the cops or detectives started zeroing in on old hubby who "discovered" her body.  The cat can't tell, and a wet kitty at the scene when the cops showed up can fool rookies.

On another note; the death is indeed tragic and not to be minimized.  What, I think, most people are laughing at is not the death itself but the circumstances in which it occurred.

Black humor is a part of our nature, a coping method to deal with tragedy.  Cops, at least in metropolitan areas, are classic examples.  They deal with death and misery so frequently that depression is a constant danger.  Cops can find humor in damn near anything.  It helps them keep from eating the barrel of their gun.

I can fully understand your feelings, but don't think too harshly of those who laugh at circumstance.  It is sometimes extremely difficult to understand what a person may have been through in thier life.  That's why a coping method such as black humor develops.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote: I had the

Bulldog wrote:

I had the same thought.  Sounds like there might be a little more to it.  Wonder if the cops or detectives started zeroing in on old hubby who "discovered" her body.  The cat can't tell, and a wet kitty at the scene when the cops showed up can fool rookies.

On another note; the death is indeed tragic and not to be minimized.  What, I think, most people are laughing at is not the death itself but the circumstances in which it occurred.

Black humor is a part of our nature, a coping method to deal with tragedy.  Cops, at least in metropolitan areas, are classic examples.  They deal with death and misery so frequently that depression is a constant danger.  Cops can find humor in damn near anything.  It helps them keep from eating the barrel of their gun.

I can fully understand your feelings, but don't think too harshly of those who laugh at circumstance.  It is sometimes extremely difficult to understand what a person may have been through in thier life.  That's why a coping method such as black humor develops.

Yeah, I think there probably is something more to it. The story says the barrel was only 1/3 full so she drowned in less then 20 gallons of water. Unless she hit her head hard enough to be unconcious I imagine she would have been able to get her head out of the water. Then again, maybe she was blond.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X