To Christians and Theists...Topic "Intelectual coward".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
To Christians and Theists...Topic "Intelectual coward".

The following is an OP/ED explaining why theists need not be offended by blasphemy.

First off, just as someone can be smart with one thing, say music, and be ignorant on automechanics, so too can they confuse issues that are unrelated and completely seperate.

When one talks of "braveness" the stereotype of that word refures to physical braveness in say"standing up to a physicall bully". In philosophical terms however, when we say "intellectuall cowardice" it has nothing to do with someone's physical braveness. It has to do with clinging to a comfort zone intellectually because that is what one has been taught, and how can one be wrong?

I am quite sure that there were brave Christians and other soilders of other religions on the beaches of Normandy in France. What I am talking about here is the ability to be introspective and look at one's own claims on any givin issue. And the ability to question any issue that is presented to you|(NOT JUST RELIGION)

Anyone can spew what they have been taught by others. Anyone can sound tough against things that challenge them. But it takes a skeptic to have the ability to look within.

I dont mind the boughts with theists who understand this. I have much more respect for a theist who can handle blunt honesty and blasphemey without taking it personally. I have more respect for those who can face me with their claims and allow me to respond without censorship.

So when I call someone an "intellectuall coward". It is the person who lobbs granades from afar and plays victim when we respond. I can handle all the things said about atheists. I have heard it all before. I dont blanketly hate every theist because they believe something I find absurd. I am quite sure that they find my atheism absurd, so it is all fair.

What I cant stand is someone who throws a verbal punch and doesnt want anyone punching back verbally. It is a given that people will dissagree. It is a given that we will offend each other. I can handle being offended. I cant stand those who offend me and then expect me not to respond.

I have had pleanty of theist friends who I could be bluntly honest with even with blasphemy and they didnt take it personally. 

So when I say, "intellectuall coward" I am not talking about theists who maintain their position even after the verbal brawl and dont take it personally. When I say "intelectuall coward" I am talking about ANY person, including atheists, who cries "dont offend me" while hypocrictally demanding the silence of their oposition, while demading no oposition to their own blasphemy. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here here good sir, or is

Here here good sir, or is that hear hear?

Well said.