Sudan can Stuff it! Op/ED

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sudan can Stuff it! Op/ED

This goes beyond Islam and cuts to the core of the irrational logic theists use to defend such absurd actions. Regardless of the fact that this teacher wasnt even intending on insulting anyone, EVEN IF SHE WAS, which she wasnt, what right would anyone have to condemn her to death.

If one claims that a deity|(incert label here|) is all powerfull then what need would it have to ask you a mere human to protect him from MERE WORDS. Is he that weak? Is he that much of a whimp?

To me that would be like a 3' 9" midgit standing infront of the Terminator shouting, "Dont hit him, you might hurt him". Is that how little you think of your god that you need to do his work for him? He cant handle people on his own? How "all powefull" is he?

These theocratic morons dont make me want to respect Islam anymore than when a Christian says, " Dont pick on Jesus". What could a mere mortal do or say to an "all powerfull god" that could hurt it?

Weither a deity exist or not is a completely seperate issue than pointing out the obvious. It is human insecurity that causes this behaivor. When someone is secure with what they believe they dont react with threats.

I am happy to see that the officials in Sudan didnt cower to the tribalistic behaivor of the uneducated. But the fact that she even needed to be pardoned is absurd.

I am so lucky to live in a country where someone can say, "Hitler was an atheist" where atheists cant have a theist arrested for saying stupid things. I am so lucky to live in a country where I can say, "Jesus is fiction". When will humanity understand that you cannot play thought police? When will humanity stop this stupid tribalistic "dont offend me" and worry more about investigating one's own claims.

"Blasphemy laws are the first sign of tyrany", What happened in Sudan can and will happen in the west if |Christians take that same attitude. I dont even like atheists who say, "dont offend me" and would like laws inforcing that attitude.

It is nice when your neighbor likes you. It is nice when people get along. But the reality is that there will always be something said that one person may not think is offensive, while someone else will find that same thing offensive.

I've said consistantly that ending bigotry is a nobal goal. My problem has never been intent, but tactic. Insted of institutionalizing thought crime laws we can work toward equality but should always maintain the ability to say things, even if we personally may find it offensive. Being "offensive" is subjective and that is why it is key to take into account human empathy and human nature.

In western society we value the right to be free to express ourselves be it an atheist or Christian or Muslim or Jew or whatever. The fact is each of us does not find agreement all the time and sometimes each of us, regardless of label will say things the other may not like. That is the cost of living in a free society and we must not damage that over selfish insecurity.

The teddy bear is where western society will head if Christians take on the same "dont pick on me|" attitude that the Muslims in Sudan take. The west is not there so far, but to say it wont happen in the west is presumptive and complacent. Freedom to critise and even blaspheme is vital to the heath of every opinion, be the blaspheming against the atheist or Christian. We must maintain the ability to dissent in order to prevent a facist state either run by Christians or even run by athiests.

This teddy bear should serve as warning of not putting censorship power into the hands of goverment. If they had carred out the goverment blaspheme law as originally demanded, SHE WOULD BE DEAD!

I warn to atheists and Christians in America not to allow for either side to mandate thought crime laws because the people who say, "dont hurt my feelings" wont always care about your right to dissent. Neither the Christian or atheist should want goverment to have the power to silence dissent, even when it comes to being offended.

This teddy bear should serve as warning to all in the west what happens when goverment has the power of censorship of "blasphemey". |It is not good for anyone, no matter what side of the deity issue you are on. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Well on the bright

Well on the bright side the president of Sudan has pardoned her and released her, hopefully she will be on her way back to the UK as quickly as possible. Yes Islam the religion of peace, where if you say something or do something they don't like they kill ya for it, where if you disagree they are quite happy to wage war....but remember people it's a religion of peace.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the real problem is

I think the real problem is that the Sudanese don't have anything important to worry about.  I mean, everyone in their country is safe, happy, and well fed.  That's why they have the time to cause international diplomatic crises.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer