My school is trying to reconvert us

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
My school is trying to reconvert us

I just got this e-mail today in my college mailbox:

I don't have the answer, but I do have many directions in which you can find the answer that serves you best.

SERVES?

Well, yea. Not everyone believes that there was nothing in the beginning and that God said "let there be light!" and light came.

Some people believe that there is a systematic evolutionary map (which at this point is being questioned). And some believe that we all are a part of the whole vast universe, that there is a spirit within us all.

And so on...In fact there are so many explanations for how humanity began, no one can agree.

So for those of you who don't believe in God, and those who believe religion is such a meany, and those of you who don't know where to look, why not come visit me? I want to share what I have learned and help you find your way. So come on out to the Brewer Conference Room in the Basement of Townhome 1 on Monday Sept 10, at 4pm. Any Questions? contact me at You CANNOT miss it if you love Anne Gibbons!

This person has already pissed me off and I'm planning on marching down there to the event with my copies of The God Delusion, Atheist Universe, and The End of Faith, with everything important tabed for fast access. Damn I'm mad.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Was the email sent by the

Was the email sent by the actual college or from a group affiliated with the college?  I'd go and debate the hell out of them.  If you do decide to go, keep us posted. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
It would be a good idea to

It would be a good idea to publically debate them.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Right. So when you say

Right. So when you say 'your school' what you actually mean is 'a student at your school'.

*Sigh*

Instead of getting mad you could actually ask the university authorities if the e-mail validates their conditions of service.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote:

Medievalguy wrote:

I just got this e-mail today in my college mailbox:

I don't have the answer, but I do have many directions in which you can find the answer that serves you best.

SERVES?

Well, yea. Not everyone believes that there was nothing in the beginning and that God said "let there be light!" and light came.

Some people believe that there is a systematic evolutionary map (which at this point is being questioned). And some believe that we all are a part of the whole vast universe, that there is a spirit within us all.

And so on...In fact there are so many explanations for how humanity began, no one can agree.

So for those of you who don't believe in God, and those who believe religion is such a meany, and those of you who don't know where to look, why not come visit me? I want to share what I have learned and help you find your way. So come on out to the Brewer Conference Room in the Basement of Townhome 1 on Monday Sept 10, at 4pm. Any Questions? contact me at (email address removed) You CANNOT miss it if you love Anne Gibbons!

This person has already pissed me off and I'm planning on marching down there to the event with my copies of The God Delusion, Atheist Universe, and The End of Faith, with everything important tabed for fast access. Damn I'm mad.

Dude, you're at a private college that was formed in partnership with a Christian church; what about this email is so unexpected as to be offensive? I will grant that an official mail should have been more smartly worded, but seriously, what were you expecting?

[MOD EDIT - removed email format since editor reinserts underlying HTML]]

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
well this was the only

well this was the only college I got into, so I didn't have much of a choice really. And I didn't think it was going to be so bad b/c when I came here I was still a theist of sorts. But I just found the person who sent out the e-mail, and it's a student, but I think one of the college chaplins will be there too. The downside is that I know this student. (well, not personally) She been handicap her whole life with some disease and her agument is most likely going to be emotionally based. Stuff like "god gave me the strenght to wake up every morning and continue the fight" I don't want to come across as the mean atheist who obliterates an handicap's faith. I still think I'm going to go down there, I just don't know what I'm going to do right yet.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
update: Ok, so I had a

update: Ok, so I had a litttle e-mail exchange with the girl and apparently she told the school official sending out the mass e-mails for her and they sent out a new mass e-mail.

This isa just an addition to the previous email.  Sorry I didn't make it clear, but this interest meeting is a starter for a support group for atheists, agnostics, naturalists, and other people who do not want to committed to a religion.  It is to give you some sources if you are still exploring, but the last thing I want to do is proselytize.

The woman then goes on to say that she's an agnostic and understands atheists very well....fishy... 

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: update:

Medievalguy wrote:

update: Ok, so I had a litttle e-mail exchange with the girl and apparently she told the school official sending out the mass e-mails for her and they sent out a new mass e-mail.

This isa just an addition to the previous email. Sorry I didn't make it clear, but this interest meeting is a starter for a support group for atheists, agnostics, naturalists, and other people who do not want to committed to a religion. It is to give you some sources if you are still exploring, but the last thing I want to do is proselytize.

The woman then goes on to say that she's an agnostic and understands atheists very well....fishy...

I agree; this sounds like a thinly-veiled call to "non-denominational" faith of the feel-good variety. I say go, be polite, be firm and be insistent.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Go down there and treat her

Go down there and treat her like you would any other person. Don't view them as any different. That sort of special treatment crap is absolute rubbish. They are people, just like you and me.

That is to say, unless it's a mental handicap. 

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
If having invisible friends

If having invisible friends doesn't count as a mental handicap, then no, it's just physical. (ok ok ok, i'm sorry, I couldn't resist) But I am going to go down there and be cordial.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: If

Medievalguy wrote:
If having invisible friends doesn't count as a mental handicap, then no, it's just physical. (ok ok ok, i'm sorry, I couldn't resist) But I am going to go down there and be cordial.

I had a feeling you'd say that =P.

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in the Lynchburg

I live in the Lynchburg area. Can I be of any assistance, like bringing more people?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Odd.  Just very odd. My

Odd.  Just very odd.

My first thought is that if it were truly a group for non-believers, the original email would have come right out and said it.

Then I thought, maybe the gal was trying to keep from upsetting all the fundies.

But the "she's an agnostic and says she understands atheists very well" line sure sounds "fishy" to me.  (pun intended)

We'll all be curious to see how this plays out. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well actually there are two

Well actually there are two people involved. One is the handicap girl hosting the support group, and the school official sending out the mass e-mails for her. The girl hosting the event is a theists trying to show me and the 5 other non-believers here god. The woman sending out the e-mails was the one to say she was agno. I think I'm going to introduce myself using my middle name, so I won't be lying per say, but if they knew who I was off the back they might not let me in.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
nullusdeus wrote: I live in

nullusdeus wrote:
I live in the Lynchburg area. Can I be of any assistance, like bringing more people?

Oh, and thanks for the offer to bring backup, but I think it might look bad if I bring non students onto the campus to help me debate them. Sad trust me though, it would be nice to have company, I just don't think it would be a good idea. If they go about pulling us out of our dorms to try and baptize us then i'll call for help. Eye-wink 

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
You should respond by

You should respond by sending out your own email and start a real group for atheists at your college.   Best thing to do with things like this is ignore them.   If noone shows up then it won't continue

"The World is my country, science my religion" - Christiaan Huygens

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy

Medievalguy wrote:

nullusdeus wrote:

Oh, and thanks for the offer to bring backup, but I think it might look bad if I bring non students onto the campus to help me debate them. Sad trust me though, it would be nice to have company, I just don't think it would be a good idea. If they go about pulling us out of our dorms to try and baptize us then i'll call for help. Eye-wink 

I think you better remove the email address from your first post. I responded to it and this is what I got inresponse:

"Hello, I am not a medievel, and if you are looking for the interest meeting, it is not for you.  I will not disclose the place of that meeting.  However did you hear of it?"

So, you're right, I better not attend!!! GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it turns out.

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
who did you e-mail about

who did you e-mail about that? I did purposely ----- outed the person's name. Please don't do stuff like that, I could get in serious shit. If you compromise me like that I won't be able to go.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote:

Medievalguy wrote:
who did you e-mail about that? I did purposely ----- outed the person's name. Please don't do stuff like that, I could get in serious shit. If you compromise me like that I won't be able to go.

Apparently removing the name from the email address did not remove the actual address from working when the link was clicked.

I changed the underlying HTML to remove the actual address.

{edit - I had to go back in because the editor reinserted underlying HTML.  Removed email address and format} 

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Susan. I have no

Thanks Susan. I have no doubt nullusdeus has good intentions, after VT I can't be too careful. You never know what people might see as a threat.

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: who did

Medievalguy wrote:

Sorry, after speed reading it, I didn't realize that the email wasn't yours. That's why I thought you were at Lynchburg College. I didn't see where the separation between the email quote and your comments were. I surely didn't intend to put you in a compromising position!!!! My apologies!

I did click on the ----- and someone answered me.

Thanks, Susan

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not to be the politically

Not to be the politically correct nutjob asshat Person-First Language police, but the girl is not a handicap girl, she is a:

PERSON WITH A DISABILITY.

She should not be treated any differently because she has a disability. I use a chair and I sure as fuck don't think god gives me the strength to get up in the morning. *I* give me the strength to get up in the morning. So, even if she does use emotional arguments, you can show her she and all of the other earthly things around her are the source of her strength. 

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, well the showdown is in

Ok, well the showdown is in 3 hours, and they just sent out a new e-mail reminding everybody:

Today is the day that we join hands and prove to the religious that there's more than just religion!  Come to the meeting if you are one of the above. We will talk about what you want me to make of this interest meeting.  We understand each other and therefore will not attempt to make you believe what you refuse to believe.

Date Monday, Sept 10 @ 4pm

See you There!

Wish me luck...... I'll tell you how it goes when I get back. 

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I fucking missed it. All

I fucking missed it. All because of the stupid fucking professor. I'm sooooo pissed. (can you tell?) My class ended at 4:15, the meeting started at 4. I asked if i could slip out a few minutes early and he said no. The entire class was bullshit that day. All we did was sit there and go over other people's research topics, nothing good. I rush down to the place where its being held and i'm too late, everybody is gone....fucking hell..... I e-mailed the girl to ask if there was going to be another, but i doubt she will e-mail me back. >.<'

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bummer.  It sounds like

Bummer. 

It sounds like your prof has control issues.

Another bummer. 

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dunno, i starting to think

I dunno, i starting to think i might have this girl misunderstood. Now shes also claiming to be agno, and that she's serious about starting a group for atheist/agnos.... I guess I just have to meet her and talk to her to find out if she's legit. (oh, and that prof is a quaker Sticking out tongue)

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
It would be really nice if

It would be really nice if it turns out that the girl is on the up-and-up.

Maybe it'll work out that you all get to start a new group.

*crossing fingers* 

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: My

Medievalguy wrote:
My class ended at 4:15, the meeting started at 4.  I rush down to the place where its being held and i'm too late, everybody is gone

It sure sounds like you are in Lynchburg. I'd like to meet up with you sometime.