The Bible & Hygiene

serotonin_wraith
serotonin_wraith's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Bible & Hygiene

The Bible can hardly be seen as a science book, but something like taking human waste away from the town and burying it seems a good hygenic rule to have. They must have seen people get ill by being around dead bodies or human waste, and put two and two together. It hardly takes divine intervention. But were they ahead of their time?

I'm doubting it, but can someone help me out and give examples of earlier cultures with these kinds of rules?

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Chinese of the Yellow

The Chinese of the Yellow River Valley have had very similar rules for longer.  They, in fact, stated that waste could not be dumped into water sources. 

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
What an odd topic!  No,

What an odd topic! 

No, the bible was not the first reference to rules about human waste disposal.  Here is a link to a wiki article, which references the first plumbing systems developed in India, Ancient Rome, Egypt and China.

Here is an article discussing the laws made in Ancient Rome regarding disposal of human waste. 

I am going to wash my hands now. 

serotonin_wraith
User is offlineOffline
Thanks. Can you help me out

Thanks. Can you help me out with a link? I can only find Chinese hygiene rules dating back to 500BC.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, hygiene became

Actually, hygiene became even worse when Christianity became more widespread.  The Greeks and Romans used to have their bath houses and what not but once Christianity dug its heels in, hygiene went down the toilet (excuse the pun).  Why?  Because it was 'sinful' to be naked, even if for bathing. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

serotonin_wraith
User is offlineOffline
There are examples dating

There are examples dating back to 2500 BC there, is that before the OT was written? Dates are the important thing here, it's part of a debate I'm having. It needs to clearly show people took the waste away from humans before those authors started writing. I'm just having trouble.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
The OT was mostly composed

The OT was mostly composed in the 7th century B.C.

But the OT itself talks about the Hebrews living in Egyptian cities *before* the laws--including those about cleanliness--were traditionally said to have been given to Moses. 

We know from archeological evidence what kind of fancy plumbing the Egyptians had long before Moses is supposed to have lived, even by the Bible's own account.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Does anyone really need a

Does anyone really need a book of fairy tales to tell them it's a bad idea to "shit where you eat?"

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team