God vs. Nietzche

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2843
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
ha..very nice.

ha..very nice.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Ok, all kidding aside, am I

Ok, all kidding aside, am I the only one here who isn't a big fan of Nietzche?

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Ok, all

Sapient wrote:
Ok, all kidding aside, am I the only one here who isn't a big fan of Nietzche?

I'm no fan of Nietzche....he was a nihilist and spoke out against atheism as well as religion as far as I know.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Ok, all

Sapient wrote:
Ok, all kidding aside, am I the only one here who isn't a big fan of Nietzche?

Nahh. I'm not a fan either. I do like to pick and choose from among his quotes though.
Apparently, so does a lot of corporate america.

Remember: "Life is short, play hard."
derived from Nietzsche

Remember: "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger."
derived from Nietzsche

Remember: "Only you can prevent forest fires."
derived from Nietzsche

Remember Bear Bryant: "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing."
derived from Nietzsche

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: Remember

darth_josh wrote:

Remember Bear Bryant: "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing."
derived from Nietzsche

I disagree with this one....

Payouts for the top 10 in the World Series of Poker 2006:

1 Jamie Gold -- $12,000,000
2 Paul Wasicka -- $6,102,499
3 Michael Binger -- $4,123,310
4 Allen Cunningham -- $3,628,513
5 Rhett Butler -- $3,216,182
6 Richard Lee -- $2,803,851
7 Doug Kim -- $2,391,520
8 Erik Friberg -- $1,979,189
9 Dan Nassif -- $1,566,858
10 Fred Goldberg -- $1,154,527

Winning is not the only thing when you win a million for coming in tenth place. Eye-wink

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
Absolutely. I was just

Absolutely.
I was just saying where the quotes/philosophies stemmed from initially. Certainly there were previous usages that Nietzsche derived his works from also. The more familiar ones are rephrased so that they can't be directly associated with him.

One of the problems is that the memes are attributed to Nietzsche when in all reality, it seems that they have existed much longer.

Hmm. Typing 'Nietzsche' 'meme' 'pool' gives 54,400 hits on google.

Just as I get defensive when people call atheism a religion, people who 'religiously' study Nietzsche do also.

A discussion of that nature will cause me to throw a NOMA argument just to change the subject. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
Posts: 473
Joined: 2006-03-15
User is offlineOffline
I am a fan of

I am a fan of Nietzsche.

Calling him a nihilist is a misunderstanding of his work. I would call him, if pressed, a perspectivist.

The reason he says bad things about atheism is his main method of making points is by saying something, then saying something apparently opposite and seemingly contraictory. His intention, much like Zen koans, is to get you to transcend the question by showing you two characterizations of the issue. For Nietzsche, it's not so much whether God exists or not (or whatever issue he's talking about) so much as it is that the question is often viewed by someone, no matter which side they take, in terms of what will provide their own conclusion. The way we frame concepts, words, etc effects our conclusions. A basic concept for us today, but not in Nietzsche's time.

This is why it's so hard to talk to fundamentalists, because they cannot see the question from your point of view. If they saw it from your point of view, they would not be able to believe any more than you do. And if you saw it from theirs, you would understand the belief. In order to transcend one's view, one must adopt a method of granting possibilities, of allowing one's mind to ask "what if" and "perhaps." Most people here have done that, and so (I would argue), by fiat are fans of Nietzsche's thinking because it has influenced so much about how modern people think (or, if we switch cart and horse, Nietzsche was among the first to sufficiently understand the implications of the modern mind)..

One of Nietzsche's main points is that there is no "truth in-itself", which is a concept that is not as simple as asking whether there actually is Truth or not, but is related to it. Only through extensive reading of Nietzsche did I come to understand the point. When I did, it just seemed to pop into my awareness, and it was a kind if illumunation or enlightenment. I've seen things very diffeently since that happened. It was not why I because an atheist--I was already a non-believer at that point--but it is why I became a fan of Nietzsche.

Shaun

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.


Darkgod
Posts: 2
Joined: 2008-04-11
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote:Sapient

LeftofLarry wrote:
Sapient wrote:
Ok, all kidding aside, am I the only one here who isn't a big fan of Nietzche?
I'm no fan of Nietzche....he was a nihilist and spoke out against atheism as well as religion as far as I know.

 

He sought to transcend and overcome the Nihilism that he feared would take hold in Europe due to the dying belief in God.


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
ShaunPhilly wrote:I am a fan

ShaunPhilly wrote:
I am a fan of Nietzsche. Calling him a nihilist is a misunderstanding of his work. I would call him, if pressed, a perspectivist. The reason he says bad things about atheism is his main method of making points is by saying something, then saying something apparently opposite and seemingly contraictory. His intention, much like Zen koans, is to get you to transcend the question by showing you two characterizations of the issue. For Nietzsche, it's not so much whether God exists or not (or whatever issue he's talking about) so much as it is that the question is often viewed by someone, no matter which side they take, in terms of what will provide their own conclusion. The way we frame concepts, words, etc effects our conclusions. A basic concept for us today, but not in Nietzsche's time. This is why it's so hard to talk to fundamentalists, because they cannot see the question from your point of view. If they saw it from your point of view, they would not be able to believe any more than you do. And if you saw it from theirs, you would understand the belief. In order to transcend one's view, one must adopt a method of granting possibilities, of allowing one's mind to ask "what if" and "perhaps." Most people here have done that, and so (I would argue), by fiat are fans of Nietzsche's thinking because it has influenced so much about how modern people think (or, if we switch cart and horse, Nietzsche was among the first to sufficiently understand the implications of the modern mind).. One of Nietzsche's main points is that there is no "truth in-itself", which is a concept that is not as simple as asking whether there actually is Truth or not, but is related to it. Only through extensive reading of Nietzsche did I come to understand the point. When I did, it just seemed to pop into my awareness, and it was a kind if illumunation or enlightenment. I've seen things very diffeently since that happened. It was not why I because an atheist--I was already a non-believer at that point--but it is why I became a fan of Nietzsche. Shaun

Nietzshe literally wrote about why he was so awesome. Entire chapters of his books were dedicated to this subject alone.

I'd say that qualifies him as a nihilist. Sticking out tongue

 

That said, I'm still a fan of his work. He WAS a good writer, and had had every right to be proud of the fact (even if he was a bit egotistical about it).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Archbishop_Of_C...
Troll
Posts: 12
Joined: 2008-04-16
User is offlineOffline
God wins hands down

posts made by theists in the "Freethinking Anonymous" forum will be DELETED

READ THE RULES


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Archbishop_Of_Canterbury

Archbishop_Of_Canterbury wrote:

God wins hands down everytime , please lock this thread to avoid any futile an fruitless arguments

...Hey wait a minute. It's so early in the morning, and I didn't sleep last night, so I didn't notice:

You're posting in the freethinker's forum.

 

Oh dear. I feel so sorry for those posts you created. Because, speaking of oblivion... 

 

Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Archbishop_Of_C...
Troll
Posts: 12
Joined: 2008-04-16
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

posts made by theists in the "Freethinking Anonymous" forum will be DELETED

READ THE RULES


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Archbishop_Of_Canterbury

Archbishop_Of_Canterbury wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Archbishop_Of_Canterbury wrote:

God wins hands down everytime , please lock this thread to avoid any futile an fruitless arguments

...Hey wait a minute. It's so early in the morning, and I didn't sleep last night, so I didn't notice:

You're posting in the freethinker's forum.

 

Oh dear. I feel so sorry for those posts you created. Because, speaking of oblivion... 

 

Sticking out tongue

im posting in the freethinkers forum because of the title , and speaking of oblivion thats where your'e going when u unfortunatly , pass on Kev 'ugly baby' brown

Boy, does the last part of that phrase reek of disingenuity.

Though you're most certainly correct (for the first time this morning). At the end of my life, I'm headed to the same place your points are headed:

Nowhere.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940