does religion harm of help society?

pollracker
User is offlineOffline
does religion harm of help society?

I have thought over this subject myself many times and I wish to here others opinions on the matter. As i have a general concept of the goals of this website I believe most of you would agree with me on this issue. Personally i think it does more harm then good, though some people may say it helped them in a spiritual way. you may say what greater harm has been set about by it. Well if you look at the 9/11 attacks in new york as an example it has its roots in religion. You may say yea obviously they hate Christians so they attacked us. This may be somewhat the case but not the whole picture. osama bin laden said himself if we had not helped isreal fight them the attacked would not have happened. Now that is not likely the whole picture either but i'd like to believe its a big part of it. If you look at the attacks now knowing that piece of information you might say well we shouldn't interfere  in their wars. what you need to do is look at why we interfere in them in the first place. The reason we interfere is the same reason the war we helped fight started thousands of years ago. RELIGION. We helped the jews because they are gods chosen people, and that set about the events of 9/11. Thats a rather scary thought isn't it that faith in the 21st century one that should be ruled by reason, and science is still so prominent to cause wars and suicidal attacks? So i want the opinion of others do you think that over the years religion has done more harm then good, or do you believe that the good that comes from a belief system out ways the harm said system does.

As we look at the wonders in this world man ponders where did they come from, and when knowledge of that is gained man ponders what set the processes into motion.

Its easy to see how god was a quick solution to both these problems. But now as we gain more knowledge and come closer still to answering the unknown let us look to science, and cast off childish beliefs in a creator. For if everything needs a creator who created him.

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a real challenge to

It's a real challenge to decipher your post. I'm not trying to break your balls by being a grammar nazi but seriously, sperate some of that stuff, please.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to second that

I'm going to second that motion.  That lump of words is not a paragraph.  Please pretend like you're writing a paper for college, or at least high school.  Most of us here are pretty accepting if we get the general idea, but I'm not going to lie to you and tell you I even tried to read your post.

To answer the question in the thread title, YES, religion is very harmful to society.  What good it promotes is not unique, and is replicated by non-religious groups.  The emotional, physical, and philosophical harm, on balance, is much greater.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pollracker
User is offlineOffline
sorry

I'm sorry i realize the problem It was late when i did it, and when i tried to change it today it wouldn't let me edit the post. I apologize and I am going to try to be more aware of this in the future.

As we look at the wonders in this world man ponders where did they come from, and when knowledge of that is gained man ponders what set the processes into motion.

Its easy to see how god was a quick solution to both these problems. But now as we gain more knowledge and come closer still to answering the unknown let us look to science, and cast off childish beliefs in a creator. For if everything needs a creator who created him.

pollracker
User is offlineOffline
for what its worth

For what its worth, because of the way, i presented the forum I was ready to give up on it anyways. I apologize for its appearance once again.

If anyone wishes to decipher it, and talk to me on the subject please private message me.

Thank you.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion is like a ladder.

Religion is like a ladder. It can help you to climb up on a roof, but if you want to fly, you must throw it away or give to someone else.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.