Help me prepare a proper response.

Shabonkerz
User is offlineOffline
Help me prepare a proper response.

A black lady recently came to my door knocking, and presented me with an issue of Awake! and started talking about violence against women, and quoted some passage from the Bible. I informed her that there are many instances in the Bible where sexual slavery was condoned, as well as other absurd things. Of course, I was a bit nervous since I was a bit self-conscious having just woken up, being in the middle of the bible belt, and generally not used to arguing with religious people, so I wasn't exactly fluid in my response. Instead, I promised to reciprocate by mailing her a response with all the quotes and arguments needed to convince her that spreading the word about violence against women with a heavy theological argument is ineffective. So she gave me her mailing address, and so far I've got 1 page response, but I know she'll respond with "but that's misinterpreting the bible", and I'm not too sure on how to word a response to that in a way that would be inescapable. 

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
You could begin your letter

You could begin your letter with a discussion on cherry picking. Eye-wink

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can do two things. 

You can do two things.  Both of which involve some reading.

1.) Check out my article on this very subject: Slavery and Homosexuality in the Bible 

2.) Read Kelly's article to D'souza on slavery in America and its religious roots.  That can be found here

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I'd also check out the

I'd also check out the skeptics annotated bible...you can click on the women section and get a fair bit.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
You need to explain to her

You need to explain to her that religion takes advantage of victims. Just like these predatory men, churches look for the weak an venerable to separate them from their money.

You need to tell her to stop being a victim and be her own woman. Don't be a slave to any man, religion or government.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen