Religious Child Psychological abuse -- circa the 1850's.

the_ignored
User is offlineOffline
Religious Child Psychological abuse -- circa the 1850's.

I know, this was written way back in the 1850's but still, I think this should be interesting to see.

I won't post any of the actual details, because it's a long read, but I will post the intro. This is from a freethinkers site. He's just dug this up.

In 1855, the following booklet was published for presentation to children at Catholic churches in Ireland and England. As you'll see, it had the support and approval of the Catholic Church, which saw nothing wrong with what it said or how it was presented. For more information on the author, John W. Furniss, click here.

Dacara
User is offlineOffline
Holy crap. If I'd been shown

Holy crap. If I'd been shown that when I was a kid I'd probably be a devout christian right now. That's just so evil.

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very interesting stuff but

Very interesting stuff but really hard to read due to the flames coming up the middle of the text. Highlighting the text makes it much easier to read. He has a pretty interesting website but his choices of colors made my eyes scream.

R/

Lenny

www.kaosium.org

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

bluescat48
bluescat48's picture
User is offlineOffline
Although not as damning as

Although not as damning as the book in question, I was brainwashed as a child in the catholic doctrines.  It took me from age 5 to age 20 to start to get the ideas that I had been brainwashed with out of my psyche, and over 20 more years to totally reject the nonsense.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that there is a

I think that there is a dual brainwashing here...

aside from the obvious fear or hell, as a child i was taught how lucky, fortunate, and chosen my particular denomination was not to be subjected to this horror everyone else would endure.  nothing like blanket statements of superiority to make one feel good about themselves. 

Evolved Morality
Evolved Morality's picture
User is offlineOffline
thats just sickening

wow thats sick and demented  poor kids being terrorized like that

makes me wanna kick people who think like that grr

good site reading more seeing how much more crap the xtians do that annoy me

Great Moriarty

Evolved Morality