Presidential Election this year...

holycrap08
holycrap08's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presidential Election this year...

So, giving all of the religious backgrounds of the candidates...who is the better of the evils?  I'm curious on everyone's thoughts and who they believe would be best in office.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
For me it would be Lou

For me it would be Lou Dobbs but he hasn't made any move to run on the Independent ticket. As to the viable candidates; I see no one in either party who'd be worth a shit.  None of them will directly answer a question, they all dance around the issues, and they're all invoking sky daddies to garner votes from the delusional.

In all likelihood the repugnicans are going to rig the elections again and steal the presidency once again.  In that case I fear Huckabee.  That sucker get in it's only a matter of time until the burnings begin.

To hell with it, I'm moving to Australia.  It's warmer there than in Canada.

[edit]  does that sound a little paranoid?  Probably, but then who would have ever imagined Bush?

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
holycrap08 wrote: So,

holycrap08 wrote:
So, giving all of the religious backgrounds of the candidates...who is the better of the evils? I'm curious on everyone's thoughts and who they believe would be best in office.

If you're basing your decision solely on the strength of their religious(or non-religious)ness, the answer would have been Joe Biden.

However, since Biden has dropped out, your next best bet would be Giuliani. 

Choose wisely. 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd rather have Obama than

I'd rather have Obama than anyone with less religion - because all Republicans live in a fantasy world of 'personal accountability' that just doesn't exist.  If the average American can't find Iraq on a map, how do you think they can choose which retirement plan or health coverage is best for them?

What I'll always hope for (and be unable to find because of American stubbornness) is a candidate who says "We'll strengthen the federal government, have universal health care, institute a police state and protect the jobs, welfare and security of the American people.  Oh, and the federal tax rate is 65%."

Libertarianism is a pie in the sky idealistic sellout.  It's kind of like saying that it's raining when someone is spitting in your face.

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Family_Guy wrote: What

Family_Guy wrote:

What I'll always hope for (and be unable to find because of American stubbornness) is a candidate who says "We'll strengthen the federal government, have universal health care, institute a police state and protect the jobs, welfare and security of the American people.  Oh, and the federal tax rate is 65%."

Libertarianism is a pie in the sky idealistic sellout.  It's kind of like saying that it's raining when someone is spitting in your face.

Police state?? Why give the govt more power?? How do they know what is best for me??

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

holycrap08
holycrap08's picture
User is offlineOffline
I need to follow the

I need to follow the election a little more closely now that it is '08.

Just curious...what are you guys opinion of Hillary? 

"Chlorinating the Gene Pool"

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalSchema

RationalSchema wrote:

Police state?? Why give the govt more power?? How do they know what is best for me??

Who said anything about making personal choices for you.
People need suitable conditions to live in and the government's job is to do that.

Libertarians define freedom in terms of what it isn't, and consequently come to the conclusion that 'leave us alone' is the way forward. The thing is, in order to have what we call 'freedom', certain conditions need to already be in place. We need a good economy, good education, good healthcare, and we need to make sure that things are played fair. Surely you don't feel cramped by your government providing you with these things?

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
Strafio

Strafio wrote:
RationalSchema wrote:

Who said anything about making personal choices for you. People need suitable conditions to live in and the government's job is to do that. Libertarians define freedom in terms of what it isn't, and consequently come to the conclusion that 'leave us alone' is the way forward. The thing is, in order to have what we call 'freedom', certain conditions need to already be in place. We need a good economy, good education, good healthcare, and we need to make sure that things are played fair. Surely you don't feel cramped by your government providing you with these things?

"Libertarians see that the government is corrupted by corporate lobbyist influence, and feel that the best solution is to shut down the government and turn everything over to the corporate lobbyists."

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: Who said

Strafio wrote:

Who said anything about making personal choices for you. People need suitable conditions to live in and the government's job is to do that. Libertarians define freedom in terms of what it isn't, and consequently come to the conclusion that 'leave us alone' is the way forward. The thing is, in order to have what we call 'freedom', certain conditions need to already be in place. We need a good economy, good education, good healthcare, and we need to make sure that things are played fair. Surely you don't feel cramped by your government providing you with these things?

Well, what would you call a police state?? Do you have choices in a police state?? I definately have no problem with the govt providing education, healthcare, and setting up conditions for a fair and balanced economy. However job security and a Police state?? A fucking police state??? are you kidding me??

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
holycrap08 wrote: I need

holycrap08 wrote:

I need to follow the election a little more closely now that it is '08.

Just curious...what are you guys opinion of Hillary?

Power-tripping.  i think she's more driven by the title of "First Female President" than by the desire to do the right things.  She's not lazy though, she knows the processes of gov't well, and she has a lot of powerful connections.  She'll definitely get things done, but it's a question of whether they'll be the right things.  Just my $.02 

holycrap08
holycrap08's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I'm sure she is

Yeah, I'm sure she is mostly driven by being the first female president and going down in history for that than anything.

Is she for or against Stem Cell research? 

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
holycrap08 wrote: Yeah,

holycrap08 wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure she is mostly driven by being the first female president and going down in history for that than anything.

Is she for or against Stem Cell research?

She is for it:

http://www.hillaryclinton.com/news/release/view/?id=2073 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm completely

I'm completely disillusioned by politics and politicians. I believe Douglas Adams wrote something like this: "Anyone who is capable of getting himself elected president should by no means be allowed to serve." My opinion is that anyone who is allowed to get within spitting distance of the presidency (and most senate seats) is bought and paid for.

For many months I've had this mental image of a bunch of folks watching a game of three-card monte. The folks are so concerned about not getting duped by the dude dealing the cards they never notice the dealer's buddy--the pickpocket--slip in and relieve them of their wallets and purses.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now that I've had my

Now that I've had my cynical say, I'll tell you what I'm going to do.

I'll vote for Edwards in the primary if he's still in the running.  If not, I'll vote for Kucinich, who can't win anyway because the monte dealer's and pickpocket's bosses have seen to it. 

In the general election, I would fucking kill myself before voting Republican. I hate everything the Republicans are and everything they stand for, which is an odd statement for someone who was a registered Republican a mere six years ago.  I wasn't paying attention until recently.  Unfortunately, if you pay attention long enough, you get scared and want to just hide from the whole thing because it's not just the Republicans; it's everything.

If Hillary wins the Democratic nomination, I don't think I could make myself vote for her. She's nothing but a shill. If Obama wins, I might hold my nose and vote for him.  If Edwards wins, I'll vote for him in good conscience, but I still don't trust him.

I'm kind of "finished" with politics for now.  I got involved and jaded within just a few years.  The problem is HUGE.  Even if we got decent candidates, the voting process itself is compromised.  There's no good leader to rally behind, at least not at this point.  Me?  I'm not political material.  I'm an Indian, not a chief.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

holycrap08
holycrap08's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with you about how

I agree with you about how screwed up the politics are...but if we refuse to get involved based on that, aren't we empowering the idiots more and more?  If we have a fighting chance of changing things eventually we have to get involved no matter how screwed up they are...well, ESPECIALLY then.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately, not

Unfortunately, not participating is not an option as far as I'm concerned.  Yes the idiots will continue to screw things up as they have for the past 30 years or so.  None of the current crop of politicians are desirable to any degree.  If only there was a good third party choice available.  Be wary of a dem or repug switching to the independent ticket.  The party might be different but the candidate will still be whatever party he/she/it came from.  Basically, I think this nation is on it's last legs.  If the corps don't kill it, the fundies will (along with the rest of the world).

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
It is sad that in American

It is sad that in American politics it's usually clear who you DO NOT want in Office and far less clear for who you do.

Clearly the biggest threat to freedom and rationality would be President Mike Cuckoo-Bee!

Did I misspell that ? 

Jesus, I hope that doesn't get google bombed all over the internet..

** whistles softly and kicks a rock w/ my big toe **

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Slayne
Slayne's picture
User is offlineOffline
George Carlin, with VP

George Carlin, with VP Peschi.... Oh wait, well I guess I would have to go with Obama though I personally wish he were "Independant".  It would prolly piss off the white Supremecists, they are idiots anyways.

If God didn't want atheists than we wouldn't exist..

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an election officer so

I'm an election officer so I can't publicly tell anyone who I support... However, in reading these posts on being involved in politics despite how screwed up the system is I can't help thinking about how even though we have a pitifully low voter turnout for presidential elections it's much worse for local elections.  At times, I've personally sat at the table waiting twenty minutes between voters.  I'd encourage people - especially those that feel their vote is wasted on presidential elections - to check out the elections *every* November, not just every 4 years... There is so much happening on the local level and you really can have an impact on your community.  It's a shame... Personally, I vote every year.  I promise you all I have seen many elections in our district decided on just a few and I've also seen how voter turnout effects a politician's impression of his/her accountability.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched the debates last

I watched the debates last night from New Hampshire. None of the Republicans impressed me.

With the Democrats however, Hillary and Edwards came off looking the strongest. I think right now I'm probably leaning a little more toward Hillary.

Being 56 years old, I'm old enough to remember every presidential election since Kennedy and Nixon. And time after time in every election, Americans complain, "There's not much of a choice. Everybody running is an idiot!" It's all part of the process.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalSchema

RationalSchema wrote:

Well, what would you call a police state??

My bad...
I didn't notice the words police state in the post you were quoting and thought you were calling what he was describing as a 'police state' as some over rhetorical panicked reaction. I've made a note to myself to read more carefully! Smiling
Yeah... police state sounds a bit weird...
I wonder what they mean by that?

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd vote if there were a

I'd vote if there were a candidate who represented my views. There isn't, so I'm not.

Zenrage
Zenrage's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sick and tired of

I'm sick and tired of voting for the lesser evil in these elections. I'm writing in Dennis Kucinich and walking out of the polls with a clear conscience.

then I intend to defect to Norway. 

Zenrage
Zenrage's picture
User is offlineOffline
JeremiahSmith wrote:

JeremiahSmith wrote:

"Libertarians see that the government is corrupted by corporate lobbyist influence, and feel that the best solution is to shut down the government and turn everything over to the corporate lobbyists."

Thank you!

Truly, I find libertarianism to be as socially naive as communism is economically naive. 

Honestly, if the size of the government was directly relational to the amount of power it held, then why do the terms "dictatorship" and "monarchy" go hand-in-hand so frequently throughout history. If anything, the larger the government is, then the less power each government official could ever have at any given time.

The reality is, it only matters how far removed a government is from the society it governs. If a government is truly answerable to the populace and is held accountable for its actions by the same legal system as the populace, then the size of the government honestly doesn't matter. 

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: My

Iruka Naminori wrote:
My opinion is that anyone who is allowed to get within spitting distance of the presidency (and most senate seats) is bought and paid for.

This does certainly seem to be the trend.  For once, there is a candidate who doesn't take money from lobbyists and corporations, and whose campaign funding comes almost entirely from individuals, and he has been and is being deliberately excluded from debates and called "not credible" by much of the mainstream media despite having at least as much support as some of the more "credible" candidates....  And, as far as credibility goes, he appears to have a lot more personal integrity than I have come to expect from a congressman.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Family_Guy wrote: What I'll

Family_Guy wrote:
What I'll always hope for (and be unable to find because of American stubbornness) is a candidate who says "We'll strengthen the federal government, have universal health care, institute a police state and protect the jobs, welfare and security of the American people. Oh, and the federal tax rate is 65%."

Sounds good if you accept the premise that the government is infallible.  Of course, if you don't accept that premise, then paying those 65% taxes could mean funding unethical behavior, which would in turn be unethical.  And I'm guessing that anyone who refused to pay those taxes would be thrown in jail by the police, right?  Hmm... bears a certain resemblance to a criminal protection racket... you pay us and we'll protect you, "or else". 

nen
nen's picture
User is offlineOffline
The US presidential

The US presidential elections are absurd. The US presidency is perhaps the most important job in the world, having reprecussions far outside of the US, both politically and economically. And so, logically we would think that such a job would require grueling tests, to make sure the right candidates are picked. Expert knowledge tests on international matters (something that presidents *must* have), literacy tests, basic IQ tests even. These are the sort of tests that one might have to take to get another position. Then there are assessment days, where candidates for a position interact with each other in a simulated job environment, and prove their worth.

But what really decides who becomes "Leader of the Free World"? Power, name recognition, money and popularity. Intelligence and competence don't even enter the equation! The issue is that the population at large only make decisions on the candidate's views and policies, because they lack the collective intelligence to judge someone's competence. And competence, I'm sure, is something that people want of a candidate regardless of their political positions. (Depends on how you define competence too, I suppose.)

It'd be nice to have some sort of election reform in this regard, but frankly, I can't think of anything workable. Exam mark prerequisites would be nice, but who would decide the content of the exams and how would they be judged? It'd also be nice to take media influence away, but how is that manageable without removing freedom of the press? And if we found some way to make the elections independent of money and power (ha ha, fat chance) then how would we choose from the resulting huge number of candidates without resorting to name recognition?

------- 

Anyway, if I had to support anyone, it'd be Kucinich, but only because he comes across as one of the few honest candidates. And of course, if he was winning, I'd probably assume he wasn't honest, and would end up voting for another underdog... Funny, that.

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
QuasarX wrote: This does

QuasarX wrote:
This does certainly seem to be the trend. For once, there is a candidate who doesn't take money from lobbyists and corporations, and whose campaign funding comes almost entirely from individuals, and he has been and is being deliberately excluded from debates and called "not credible" by much of the mainstream media despite having at least as much support as some of the more "credible" candidates.... And, as far as credibility goes, he appears to have a lot more personal integrity than I have come to expect from a congressman.

Are you talking about Ron Paul?

The fundamentalist pro-life anti-gay-marriage crackpot?

The guy who gets and keeps funding from Stormfront? The guy who, for nearly three decades, has had a newsletter full of racism, bigotry, and conspiracy theories that was either written by him (his signature is on a few pages, as are references to "my wife Carol" and "my training as a physician&quotEye-wink or ghostwritten and allowed to be published in his name (one of the publishers still works for his campaign)?

The guy who advocates total removal of things like the FDA and the Department of Education and the return to unworkable economic policies like a gold standard?

The guy who thinks that home schools should not be required to meet national standards while at the same time thinks that home school diplomas should all be considered identical to other high school diplomas on college applications?

The guy who wrote the We The People Act and introduced it several times, an act which would prevent the Federal government from hearing cases regarding religion, abortion, privacy, and sex, and would remove all precedents on such cases? Goodbye Roe v. Wade, the Separataion of Church and State, and Lawrance v. Texas! (Did you know that Texas has a law that atheists can't hold public office?)

The guy who said the Civil Rights Act just made racism worse and voted against a Congressional Medal for Rosa Parks but voted for medals for Cold War Soldiers? (He voted against the Parks medal, saying that the government shouldn't spend money, but he voted for the other medals for soldiers and the Rosa Parks medal bill also stated that duplicates should be made and sold to cover the cost.)

And let's not forget he was the sole Representative to vote NO on a bill saying that the government would no longer issue contracts to companies funding the Darfur genocide.

Ron Paul is a terrible candidate who has floated on a wave of Internet libertarian supporters who either don't know his platform beyond "no more war", "fix the Constitution" (except for birthright citizenship as granted in the 14th amendment, he's not too big on that one) and "fix the economy" (which the gold standard wouldn't do anyway), or people who really do know his terrible positions and support them all.

If Ron Paul becomes the President of the United States, I will either move or help kill him myself. He really is that terrible once you look into it.

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
nen wrote:

nen wrote:

Expert knowledge tests on international matters (something that presidents *must* have), literacy tests, basic IQ tests even. These are the sort of tests that one might have to take to get another position. Then there are assessment days, where candidates for a position interact with each other in a simulated job environment, and prove their worth.

But what really decides who becomes "Leader of the Free World"? Power, name recognition, money and popularity. Intelligence and competence don't even enter the equation! The issue is that the population at large only make decisions on the candidate's views and policies, because they lack the collective intelligence to judge someone's competence. And competence, I'm sure, is something that people want of a candidate regardless of their political positions. (Depends on how you define competence too, I suppose.)

A person that intelligent would never poke the job with a stick. They would probably be attracted to something more intellectually interesting than stopping all the children from pulling each other's hair. Or so it seems to me.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
JeremiahSmith wrote:

JeremiahSmith wrote:
Are you talking about Ron Paul?

Yes.

JeremiahSmith wrote:
The fundamentalist pro-life anti-gay-marriage crackpot?

Fundamentalist? Maybe. I don't know what particular flavor of Christianity he's been brainwashed into believing, but presidential candidates who don't claim to believe in God seem to be a rarity. Granted, the fact that he would write this http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2003/tst122903.htm on the House of Representatives' website is perhaps a good reason not to vote for him, as it suggests an entanglement of religious beliefs and government decision-making, but it's not a good reason to exclude him from presidential debates.

Pro-life? Yes. But that by itself is not really unreasonable if you accept the premise that killing humans is a bad thing.

Anti-gay-marriage? Where did you hear that? According to http://www.issues2000.org/Ron_Paul.htm, he voted against Constitutional amendments to ban same-sex marriage or define marriage as one man and one woman.

Crackpot? As defined how? If you mean having ideas that are not widely accepted, that's only a bad thing if you think that ideas being widely accepted make them somehow better. If you mean having ideas that don't make sense, would you care to elaborate? From what I've seen his positions seem more rationally consistent than those of the average politician.

JeremiahSmith wrote:
The guy who gets and keeps funding from Stormfront? The guy who, for nearly three decades, has had a newsletter full of racism, bigotry, and conspiracy theories that was either written by him (his signature is on a few pages, as are references to "my wife Carol" and "my training as a physician&quotEye-wink or ghostwritten and allowed to be published in his name (one of the publishers still works for his campaign)?

Funding from stormfront? If you're referring to $500 being donated to Ron Paul's campaign by Don Black, the owner of the Stormfront web page, then to call that a donation from Stormfront itself is inaccurate and misleading. As far as keeping the donation, is that somehow a problem? It's not an endoresement of Don Black's personal agenda. Also, is $500 supposed to mean that Don Black has Ron Paul "in his pocket"? That would seem pretty far-fetched to me, especially considering it's less than 25% of the maximum donation allowable by law.

The newsletter. Well, I haven't played investigative reporter on this issue, but I did hear about 1 racist article published in Ron Paul's name that he claimed was ghostwritten. It sounded like the sort of issue that would be difficult to determine the truth regarding, so I didn't try. The allegation that he's been promoting racism and bigotry over a 3 decade time span is much bigger than the one article I had read about, and if you've found any evidence to support this allegation, please share it.

Racism. His official position on racism is that it's a form of "group-think", meaning that it's defining an individual by which groups that individual is a member of, and that such "group-think" is always wrong. However, given his age, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he subconsciously has some racist prejudice left over from the time period he grew up in just as I occasionally find that I have traces of Christianity left in my subconscious from my childhood that I hadn't gotten around to reevaluating. I don't know whether or not that's the case, but in any event his conscious statement on the issue seems to imply that he's not a racist.

JeremiahSmith wrote:
The guy who advocates total removal of things like the FDA and the Department of Education and the return to unworkable economic policies like a gold standard?

The FDA and the Department of Education aren't exactly doing the best job. Also, excuse my ignorance, but is the Department of Education even authorized? The FDA is, at least with regards to foods that are distributed between states, because of the commerce clause. But, unless there's a constitutional amendment that I missed, I don't see how the Department of Education falls under the enumerated powers of the federal government.

Why do you say the gold standard is an unworkable economic policy?

JeremiahSmith wrote:
The guy who thinks that home schools should not be required to meet national standards while at the same time thinks that home school diplomas should all be considered identical to other high school diplomas on college applications?

With regards to requiring home-schooling to meet national standards, please refer to my question about the Department of Education.

With regards to considering home school diplomas to be identical to other high school diplomas, granted, this seems to be incompatible with getting federal influence out of education. That would be a great issue to challenge him with in a debate and let him show us whether or not he's really thought this through. If he hasn't, don't you think that's the sort of thing people ought to be able to learn from watching him try to answer a question about it?

JeremiahSmith wrote:
The guy who wrote the We The People Act and introduced it several times, an act which would prevent the Federal government from hearing cases regarding religion, abortion, privacy, and sex, and would remove all precedents on such cases? Goodbye Roe v. Wade, the Separataion of Church and State, and Lawrance v. Texas! (Did you know that Texas has a law that atheists can't hold public office?)

Regarding this We the People Act, that would also be a great issue to raise in a debate or an interview. At a glance, it sounds like a bad idea to me, but not just cause to dismiss his entire political platform.

And yes, I am aware that atheists aren't allowed to hold public office in Texas, either by law or by the Texas constitution... I forget which states place that restriction by which means. And yes, that is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Personally, I think "no religious test" should be a constitutionally protected right that propogates down from the federal goverment through all levels of government the way other constitutionally protected rights do. I'm not convinced that Ron Paul agrees, and that would again be a good reason not to vote for him... but not a good reason to exclude him from a debate.

JeremiahSmith wrote:
The guy who said the Civil Rights Act just made racism worse and voted against a Congressional Medal for Rosa Parks but voted for medals for Cold War Soldiers? (He voted against the Parks medal, saying that the government shouldn't spend money, but he voted for the other medals for soldiers and the Rosa Parks medal bill also stated that duplicates should be made and sold to cover the cost.)

Again, please excuse my ignorance, but I would have to know which Cold War soldiers he voted in favor of giving medals to and what they did to be nominated for them in order to either agree or disagree with those decisions. As for voting against the Rosa Parks medal bill, I would again want to know more about his reasoning... but a brief look at wikipedia's entry on the Medal states that it's for armed forces who "…conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States…". So, the Medal of Honor doesn't seem to be applicable to a civilian... I would think there would be something more suitable for that, say a Nobel Peace Prize?

As for the complaint against the Civil Rights Act, to which Civil Rights Act are you referring? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act

JeremiahSmith wrote:
And let's not forget he was the sole Representative to vote NO on a bill saying that the government would no longer issue contracts to companies funding the Darfur genocide.

Hmm... I would expect him to be opposed to U.S. military action in Darfur, but.... I'm sorry, but why the hell would the U.S. be issuing contracts to companies funding the Darfur genocide in the first place? How did the situation come about that necessitated the bill that you're claiming he voted against? Can you please elaborate on this point?

JeremiahSmith wrote:
Ron Paul is a terrible candidate who has floated on a wave of Internet libertarian supporters who either don't know his platform beyond "no more war", "fix the Constitution" (except for birthright citizenship as granted in the 14th amendment, he's not too big on that one) and "fix the economy" (which the gold standard wouldn't do anyway), or people who really do know his terrible positions and support them all.

Okay, this is an obvious false dichotomy. Ron Paul's popularity, I think, is the result of a lot of Americans who are very unhappy with the federal government as it exists right now and want to see it function as it was originally intended to.

JeremiahSmith wrote:
If Ron Paul becomes the President of the United States, I will either move or help kill him myself. He really is that terrible once you look into it.

Then you should want the voting public to understand your reasons for not wanting him to become the President. These kinds of issues should be addressed through rational discussion rather than censorship.

lycurgus33
User is offlineOffline
"What I'll always hope for

"What I'll always hope for (and be unable to find because of American stubbornness) is a candidate who says "We'll strengthen the federal government, have universal health care, institute a police state and protect the jobs, welfare and security of the American people. Oh, and the federal tax rate is 65%."

Are you being sarcastic there? Because it sounds like instead of worshipping some non-existant deity to solve all your problems you worship the state instead.

Universal health care doesn't work. I know, I live in a country that has it and has banned all private health care. You get to wait several months to see a specialist, 5-6 months for basic surgeries like knee or hip repacements, and that's _if_ you have a family doctor to make the referrals, which I (and about 20,000 other people in my city) don't. You can go to a clinic and within 3-4 days get an MRI for your dog or cat, but if the owners of that private property use the MRI on a human being the federal government _will_ come in and shut you down.

Planned economies also don't work... and we're at the point in history where we can actually point to almost labratory-like conditions, Germany and Korea, where the east and nort respectively started out with stronger economies, turned communist, and managed to send themseves into the toilet. But at least everyone was equally poor (unless you were one of the "high priests" of Communism, in that case you got/get special privilidges)

"Libertarianism is a pie in the sky idealistic sellout. It's kind of like saying that it's raining when someone is spitting in your face."

What a stunning evidence based argument. Swap atheism with Libertarianism in there and that argument would be laughed at by everyone here.