Greydon Square arrested...

bmcreider
User is offlineOffline
Greydon Square arrested...

[MOD EDIT: SINCE THE TIME WHEN SAPIENT CAME TO GREYDONS DEFENSE IN THIS THREAD, HE HAS ACTED THE SAME WAY.  HE VIOLENTLY ASSAULTED SAPIENT AND SERVED JAIL TIME AS WELL AS ONE YEAR PROBATION.  HERE IS THE GREYDON SQUARE THREAD.]

So did anyone hear about Gredyon Square being arrested after he threatened to get a gun on a school campus, and had a warrant already for his arrest?

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/97243

I was wondering what the RRS thought about this, and how they would respond. I am an atheist. (mod edit: THREAD RE-OPENED NOW THAT GREYDON HAS HAD A CHANCE TO RESPOND. PLEASE LEAVE HIS RESPONSE IN THIS POST.)

Direct link to youtube response: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ndyyeIUcw

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Forgive me if this is

Forgive me if this is stupid...

Are you sure this is him?   Ok, the picture looks similar so maybe it's just that it sounds so unbelivable.  I mean, as a fan I know he lives in Arizona but I never read that his real name was Collins.  His MySpace says he goes to Rio Salado CC but this article says the individual is a student at Mesa.

bmcreider
User is offlineOffline
I would gladly like to see

I would gladly like to see that it was not Greydon Square, I do like a few of his songs. But, that picture looks exactly like him, and it did happen in Arizona...

I do not know what his real name is, but if it isn't Collins...then I suppose it wouldn't be him, it'd be his evil twin.

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greydon's wikipedia article

Greydon's wikipedia article says that his real name is Eddie Collins, but let's chalk that up to "it's wikipedia" until we have concrete evidence this is him. Hopefully, it isn't. I like his stuff.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit.  http://www.thecompto

Shit.

http://www.thecomptoneffect.com/lyrics/?song/6

Scroll down to the bottom.  It looks like either it is him or his evil twin writes his lyrics. 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please, allow me to look

Please, allow me to look really out of it.  Who the devil is Graydon Square, and why would anyone be concerned with his arrest?

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greydon's real mane is, in

Greydon's real mane is, in fact, Eddie. 

THat's him. 

Nero, Greydon Square is a hip hop artist who focuses on atheism:

http://www.thecomptoneffect.com

His music can be heard on a lot of RRS's videos.  He even wrote a theme song to the Oporation Spread Eagle. 

bmcreider
User is offlineOffline
Greydon Square is, from

Greydon Square is, from what I can tell, a featured musician for RRS and has a pretty tight relationship with them that goes both ways. RRS supports Greydon Square, and Greydon Square supports RRS.

And about wikipedia, they usually aren't wrong. So far the evidence points strongly towards Greydon Square being arrested on a previous warrant and for threatening to get a gun, then he's caught with a clip and stock in his car.

I am anxiously awaiting what RRS will "officially" say about this because I, as I said, have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior, atheist, theist or whatever. 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
OIC!  Thank you.  I can't

OIC!  Thank you.  I can't understand most of what those lyrics say(the words mush together for me); so, it is nice to know what it is about.

Oh dear, he was arrested?  Meh.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Please, allow

Nero wrote:
Please, allow me to look really out of it. Who the devil is Graydon Square, and why would anyone be concerned with his arrest?

He is a rap artist.  He is supposed to be one of the guests at the AAO '07 conference this weekend. He is the artist for the Op. Spread Eagle song as well as many of the other music on the RRS show.  His album is called the Compton Effect.

www.myspace.com/openatheism 

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just noticed the date on

I just noticed the date on that article was the 13th.  If they arrested him, he's already out.  He's put up two youtube videos since the 13th.

I will hold off judgment until I know all the facts. 

bmcreider
User is offlineOffline
Well it would be nice if

Well it would be nice if the RRS, or Greydon, would enlighten us on those facts.

I will wait to hear what they have to say as well. 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
bmcreider wrote: Well it

bmcreider wrote:

Well it would be nice if the RRS, or Greydon, would enlighten us on those facts.

I will wait to hear what they have to say as well. 

Patience.  I don't see any core members about for the moment.  Further, organizations are always wise to wait and see what is actually going on. 

Have you gone an introduced yourself in the intro. forum?

bmcreider
User is offlineOffline
No but I have taken place in

No but I have taken place in many chats on stickcam...

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
bmcreider wrote: No but I

bmcreider wrote:
No but I have taken place in many chats on stickcam...

Great.  It is also customary to go do a little intro there as well.  Susan normally does this and clearly does a better job of it than I just did.  Smiling

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
bmcreider wrote: I most

bmcreider wrote:
I most certainly do not support or tolerate behavior like this from Greydon Square

No one supports threating people with guns, but tolerating? How the hell do you tolerate or not tolerate this?

bmcreider wrote:
it gives atheists, and RRS, a bad name.

It might give RRS a bad name, but atheists? Do you seriously think that the actions of one atheist speak for all atheists?

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
mindspread wrote: I just

mindspread wrote:

I just noticed the date on that article was the 13th.  If they arrested him, he's already out.  He's put up two youtube videos since the 13th.

I will hold off judgment until I know all the facts. 

It's possible he could be out on bail. Hopefully, this was all a big misunderstanding, though. I guess we'll hear something from the RRS about this and Greydon sooner or later.

bmcreider
User is offlineOffline
MrRage...evidently,

MrRage...evidently, according to the article, Greydon Square is in favor of threatening violence with a gun.

And I am sure some people out there are ok with "threatening" people if it comes to that...I am sure a plethora of people in this world would not hesitate to resort to violence, and the article seems to say Greydon Square either is one of those people, or was pretending to be for the sake of intimidation.

And as far as atheists getting a bad name, RRS is an atheist agenda. Greydon could give black men a bad name, rappers a bad name, guns a bad name, etc...but above all else Greydon Square stands for atheism, and RRS is right behind him. Kent Hovind in the same light gives Christianity a bad name because above all else (white men, tax evaders, idiots) he was proponent of Christian based biblical creation. 

I can see it now, Christians finding out about his arrest and using it against RRS and atheists who support RRS. Just as we atheists denounce Kent Hovind, or a myriad of YouTube fundamentalists, or Kent Hovind, or Ted Haggard, or GW Bush...they all primarily stand for Christianity just as Greydon Square primarily stands for atheism. 

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
bmcreider

bmcreider wrote:

MrRage...evidently, according to the article, Greydon Square is in favor of threatening violence with a gun.

And I am sure some people out there are ok with "threatening" people if it comes to that...I am sure a plethora of people in this world would not hesitate to resort to violence, and the article seems to say Greydon Square either is one of those people, or was pretending to be for the sake of intimidation.

All we know is that Greydon allegedly threatened violence with a gun.

I think you missed the point of my comment though. I was agreeing with you in not supporting Greydon's alleged deeds. I just thought it funny that you didn't "tolerate" Greydon's alleged behavior.

bmcreider wrote:

And as far as atheists getting a bad name, RRS is an atheist agenda.

RRS is an atheist agenda? What the fuck does that mean?

bmcreider wrote:
Greydon could give black men a bad name, rappers a bad name, guns a bad name, etc...but above all else Greydon Square stands for atheism, and RRS is right behind him.

I agreed with you that Greydon's alleged actions could sully the RRS, because he's worked closely with them. But all atheists? Black men? Rappers? Guns? Are you seriously making this argument? Your reasoning smacks of bigotry.

bmcreider wrote:
Kent Hovind in the same light gives Christianity a bad name because above all else (white men, tax evaders, idiots) he was proponent of Christian based biblical creation.

Do you think that because of Hovind's actions all fundamentalist Christians are suspect? My father is a white, evangelical, YEC Christian. Are you inclined to think he's an idiot and a tax evaders because of Hovind?

Again, your reasoning smacks of bigotry.

bmcreider wrote:
I can see it now, Christians finding out about his arrest and using it against RRS and atheists who support RRS.

I imagine they would.

bmcreider wrote:
Just as we atheists denounce Kent Hovind, or a myriad of YouTube fundamentalists, or Kent Hovind, or Ted Haggard, or GW Bush...they all primarily stand for Christianity just as Greydon Square primarily stands for atheism.

Hovind's behavior doesn't invalidate Christianity, neither does any action of Greydon's invalidate atheism.

bmcreider
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote:

MrRage wrote:
All we know is that Greydon allegedly threatened violence with a gun. I think you missed the point of my comment though. I was agreeing with you in not supporting Greydon's alleged deeds. I just thought it funny that you didn't "tolerate" Greydon's alleged behavior.

Well I can see how that would seem funny, yes...but we both can agree, it's wrong to act like that.

MrRage wrote:
RRS is an atheist agenda? What the fuck does that mean?

The point of RRS is to promote atheism/agnosticism through logic, reason and evidence, correct?

MrRage wrote:
I agreed with you that Greydon's alleged actions could sully the RRS, because he's worked closely with them. But all atheists? Black men? Rappers? Guns? Are you seriously making this argument? Your reasoning smacks of bigotry.

I am not personally making this argument but others may. Everyone looks to point the finger at the underlying cause of a situation, be it video games for Columbine, Halliburton for 9/11, or atheist "lack of morals" for attempted gun crimes.

MrRage wrote:
Do you think that because of Hovind's actions all fundamentalist Christians are suspect? My father is a white, evangelical, YEC Christian. Are you inclined to think he's an idiot and a tax evaders because of Hovind? Again, your reasoning smacks of bigotry.

No, not me personally, but again some people do...

MrRage wrote:
I imagine they would.

And this is my point

MrRage wrote:
Hovind's behavior doesn't invalidate Christianity, neither does any action of Greydon's invalidate atheism.

No it doesn't...but a lot of atheists love to point to Hovind as their way of debunking Christianity...just as some may knock down Greydon for atheism.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Gredyon is at the

We spoke to Greydon about this issue, it seems as if there is nothing really that amazing to report, the whole thing is just a big over exaggerration.

If I remember the story correctly (I was hoping Greydon would put it on paper for me), he got into your common fist fight with someone he knew over something very small. After it ended the other guy said he was gonna tell the cops he had a gun, and Greydon dared him or something. So the guy told the cops, Greydon had threatened to shoot him, and they ended up taking him in.

Greydon was arrested for not paying a ticket of running a red light from about a year ago, and was released 2 hours later. That's the end of the story, no charges for gun or anything. Just an overly hyped story.  Greydon denied ever threatening him with a gun and was never charged for anything gun related or fight related.

Anywho... It was great having Greydon there, I thought this story was likely overinflated. If he decides to comment in text, we'll post it up here.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
GREYDON RESPONDS: 

GREYDON RESPONDS: 

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I lol'd when he started

I lol'd when he started talking about the SWAT teams and the helicopter.

I figured it was something blown out of proportion. 

Glad everything is sorted out. 

skywolf
skywolf's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow i missed a lot at work

been workin my ass off tryin to green up my truck (new transmition and stuff makin money left and right ) and i missid this whole incdent really i did the cops here are just as bad but if they ever serched my truck i would be sol cause i got remy but sriosly tho graydon i bought your cd anyway and i think you have a new one out so ill give it a try too to brian i have decided to give your web server a boost that little donation thingie in the corner iz a good idea btw grydon do you like the 40 smith and wesson bettr than a 45 or 9mm i hear its a good compromize between the two and wuz considerin the 40 hi point carbine ( i like the plinky yes i do ) got the high point 380 comp (its just like shootin the 22) luv tha tunes and the site keep on keepin on

mohammed is mr poopy pants allah is a cootie queen and islam is a lint licker
http://seekerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/_blogger_5932_1957_1600_religion_of_peace_1-1.jpg

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Sigh*I missed this one.

*Sigh*

I missed this one. Must not have been large enough for more than local news to latch onto.

I've never met Mr. Square, so I don't know anything about his personality or personal habits, but he sounds like his spitting bullshit here. I also perk an eyebrow at his idea of ethical behavior and responsible action when he runs from the police when he knows they're out looking to talk with him and then gloats about it.

I think it's also a little naive to take his claims at face value. He had a reasonable explanation for the loaded weapon in his car, but instead of turning himself over to the authorities and offering said explanation, he bails? That, for me, begs a lot of questions.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I was alternately shocked

I was alternately shocked and relieved when I read this thread.  I'm glad Greydon didn't do anything legally wrong.  The overreaction by the cops makes me wonder what else is hyped by the press (while, I might add, George W. Bush mostly gets a free pass to be murderous while wiping his ass with the Bill of Rights).

But I wonder, Greydon...why did you beat the guy up with your fists?  This is an attempt at a non-judgmental inquiry.  I really would like to know why you thought it was necessary.  As a white woman, my last fist fight was in junior high, but black males aren't so lucky.  You young guys should get "frequent harassment miles" or some such.  Perception of black men as violent feeds overreaction which feeds violence.  That's my opinion.

Do you feel it was rational to end the cycle with a fist fight before it got uglier? 

I have known many true pacifists during my life, most of them Mennonite Brethren at my alma mater.  I've never been a pacifist.  I flirted with it briefly after I decided (before the invasion) that the Iraq War was a bad idea.  Violence tends to lead to violence; yet sometimes violence ends whatever was pissing you off.  Those fist fights in junior high were with boys who were bullying me and had been for years.  Nothing else had worked.  Knocking a few heads against the chalk board or tossing a few prepubescent bodies over desks had an effect none of my words or tears ever accomplished.

I don't expect Greydon to come on here to explain himself, but I would like to know his reasoning.  I am curious.  That's all.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.