Some states are now abstaining from abstinence only!

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some states are now abstaining from abstinence only!

Abstinence only has been proven ineffective, now U.S. states are rejecting funds tied to this type of sex education.

States just saying no to U.S. sex education tied to abstinence

In an emerging revolt against abstinence-only sex education, states are turning
down millions of dollars in federal grants, unwilling to accept White House
dictates that the money be used for classes focused almost exclusively on
teaching chastity.

In Ohio, Gov. Ted Strickland said that regardless of the state's sluggish
economic picture, he simply did not see the point in taking part in the
controversial State Abstinence Education Grant program anymore.

Five other states — Wisconsin, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Montana and New
Jersey — either already have dropped out, or plan to by the end of the year.
The program is managed by a unit of the U.S. Department of Heath and Human
Services.

Strickland, like most of the other governors who are pulling the plug on the
funding, said in dropping the program last month that the program had too many
restrictions and rules to be practical. Among other things, the money cannot be
used to promote condom or contraceptive use and requires teachers to emphasize
ideas such as that bearing children outside of wedlock is harmful to society
and "likely to have harmful psychological and physical effects."

That states are walking away from such funding alarms abstinence-only groups,
who insist that cutting off this source of revenue will close dozens of
nonprofit sex education groups — and undermine the progress they have made to
fight teen pregnancy and curtail the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

States have used the money to help public and private schools start and run
educational programs, develop classroom instruction for nonprofit groups and
pay for advertising and other media campaigns.

"There are kids who don't want to know how to put on a condom, because they
don't want to have sex," said Leslee Unruh, president and chief executive of
the South Dakota-based National Abstinence Clearinghouse, the nation's largest
network of abstinence educators.

To critics, the states' policy shift addresses growing concerns that sexually
active youth are not getting access to medically accurate information about use
of contraceptives and disease prevention.

In an Oct. 3 report that surveyed abstinence programs in 10 states, the
Government Accountability Office concluded that such programs have not been
proven to work, and at times teach kids medically inaccurate information about
condoms and AIDS.

President George W. Bush has asked Congress to carve out $191 million for the
program in fiscal 2008, an increase of $28 million over current funding.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "There are kids who

Quote:
"There are kids who don't want to know how to put on a condom, because they
don't want to have sex,"

In other news, many children also prefer brussel sprouts to candy.

Quote:
the
Government Accountability Office concluded that such programs have not been
proven to work, and at times teach kids medically inaccurate information about
condoms and AIDS.

President George W. Bush has asked Congress to carve out $191 million for the
program in fiscal 2008

I wonder how many homeless people $191 million dollars can house per year?

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Abstinence only education is

Abstinence only education is one of the most ridiculous things I ever heard of. Like teaching everyone to never drive over 5 miles an hour in order to prevent accidents.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: President George

BGH wrote:
President George W. Bush has asked Congress to carve out $191 million for the program in fiscal 2008, an increase of $28 million over current funding.

I wish his parents had practiced abstinence. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: BGH

jce wrote:

BGH wrote:
President George W. Bush has asked Congress to carve out $191 million for the program in fiscal 2008, an increase of $28 million over current funding.

I wish his parents had practiced abstinence. 

Or believed in abortion!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yay!  Go New Jersey! 

Yay!  Go New Jersey!  Isn't it amazing (and terrifying) that our gov't is still trying to insist that abstinence only works when everything else says it doesn't?

If god takes life he's an indian giver

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Yay! Go

pariahjane wrote:

Yay! Go New Jersey!

Sadly, my home state(Missouri) is probably too backward to realize this. 

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: pariahjane

BGH wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Yay! Go New Jersey!

This site includes states that hold abstinence only education. You're not alone there BGH. I've always thought it was just one more excuse to teach biblical ideology as fact. With their line of thinking mercy killings could be a thing of the future! I'm glad that states are stepping up and saying enough is enough. 

Am I the only one who wonders what all of the money spent on religious bs could be used on to actually make a difference in the world? Like, say, taxing churches for being businesses as they in every sense of the word ARE? 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: Like,

Lynette1977 wrote:
Like, say, taxing churches for being businesses as they in every sense of the word ARE?

No kidding! Doing that alone could probably pay off the national debt. 

Thanks for the link, good information! 

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:
Abstinence only education is one of the most ridiculous things I ever heard of. Like teaching everyone to never drive over 5 miles an hour in order to prevent accidents.

I forgot where I got it, but I remember someone saying that "Abstinence only is like taking the bullet-proofs vests off of cops and telling them to just not get hit."

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote: MattShizzle

Ophios wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

I forgot where I got it, but I remember someone saying that "Abstinence only is like taking the bullet-proofs vests off of cops and telling them to just not get hit."

Reminds me of show I watched recently where the father said he'd tell his daughter not to use condoms because they don't work. Deluded. That's the only word I really have for these people.  

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: BGH

Lynette1977 wrote:
BGH wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Yay! Go New Jersey!

This site includes states that hold abstinence only education. You're not alone there BGH. I've always thought it was just one more excuse to teach biblical ideology as fact. With their line of thinking mercy killings could be a thing of the future! I'm glad that states are stepping up and saying enough is enough.

Am I the only one who wonders what all of the money spent on religious bs could be used on to actually make a difference in the world? Like, say, taxing churches for being businesses as they in every sense of the word ARE?

My state's policy(Illinois) is unknown.  Huh, wonder what that means.   

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wonder what the spin control

Wonder what the spin control on this will look like.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
A recent study completed

A recent study completed supports the uselessness of abstinence only education...

http://www.politicalgateway.com/news/read/74348

And yet, they will continue to funnel massive amounts of money into it. Why?

"Harry Wilson, an official with the Department of Health and Human Services, criticized the study, saying it was not rigorous enough. He said the administration's funding of abstinence-only programs will remain unchanged."

Perhaps they should have supplied chastity belts to the teens - would that have made the study rigorous enough for him? The dark ages sure had some great ideas.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
As Sam Harris said, their

As Sam Harris said, their primary concern seems to be that the creator of the universe will be offended by something people do while naked.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I also love this article

I also love this article PariahJane posted yesterday

Study: Abstinence classes don't stop sex

By KEVIN FREKING, Associated Press WriterFri Apr 13, 5:37 PM ET

Students who took part in sexual abstinence programs were just as likely to have sex as those who did not, according to a study ordered by Congress.

Also, those who attended one of the four abstinence classes that were reviewed reported having similar numbers of sexual partners as those who did not attend the classes. And they first had sex at about the same age as other students — 14.9 years, according to Mathematica Policy Research Inc.

The federal government now spends about $176 million annually on abstinence-until-marriage education. Critics have repeatedly said they don't believe the programs are working, and the study will give them reinforcement.

However, Bush administration officials cautioned against drawing sweeping conclusions from the study. They said the four programs reviewed — among several hundred across the nation — were some of the very first established after Congress overhauled the nation's welfare laws in 1996.

Officials said one lesson they learned from the study is that the abstinence message should be reinforced in subsequent years to truly affect behavior.

"This report confirms that these interventions are not like vaccines. You can't expect one dose in middle school, or a small dose, to be protective all throughout the youth's high school career," said Harry Wilson, the commissioner of the Family and Youth Services Bureau at the Administration for Children and Families.

For its study, Mathematica looked at students in four abstinence programs around the country as well as students from the same communities who did not participate in the abstinence programs. The 2,057 youths came from big cities — Miami and Milwaukee — as well as rural communities — Powhatan, Va., and Clarksdale, Miss.

The students who participated in abstinence education did so for one to three years. Their average age was 11 to 12 when they entered the programs back in 1999.

Mathematica then did a follow up survey in late 2005 and early 2006. By that time, the average age for participants was about 16.5. Mathematica found that about half of the abstinence students and about half from the control group reported that they remained abstinent.

"I really do think it's a two-part story. First, there is no evidence that the programs increased the rate of sexual abstinence," said Chris Trenholm, a senior researcher at Mathematica who oversaw the study. "However, the second part of the story that I think is equally important is that we find no evidence that the programs increased the rate of unprotected sex."

Trenholm said his second point of emphasis was important because some critics of abstinence programs have contended that they lead to less frequent use of condoms.

Mathematica's study could have serious implications as Congress considers renewing this summer the block grant program for abstinence education known as Title V. The federal government has authorized up to $50 million annually for the program. Participating states then provide $3 for every $4 they get from the federal government. Eight states decline to take part in the grant program.

Some lawmakers and advocacy groups believe the federal government should use that money for comprehensive sex education, which would include abstinence as a piece of the curriculum.

"Members of Congress need to listen to what the evidence tells us," said William Smith, vice president for public policy at the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States, which promotes comprehensive sex education.

"This report should give a clear signal to members of Congress that the program should be changed to support programs that work, or it should end when it expires at the end of June," Smith said.

Smith also said he didn't have trouble making broader generalizations about abstinence programs based on the four reviewed because "this was supposed to be their all-star lineup."

But a trade association for abstinence educators emphasized that the findings represent less than 1 percent of all Title V abstinence projects across the nation.

"This study began when (the programs) were still in their infancy," said Valerie Huber, executive director of the National Abstinence Education Association. "The field of abstinence has significantly grown and evolved since that time and the results demonstrated in the Mathematica study are not representative of the abstinence education community as a whole."

The four programs differed in many respects. One was voluntary and took place after school. Three had mandatory attendance and served youth during the school day. All offered more than 50 hours of classes. Two were particularly intensive. The young people met every day of the school year.

Common topics included human anatomy and sexually transmitted diseases. Also, classes focused on helping students set personal goals and build self-esteem. The young people were taught to improve communication skills and manage peer pressure.

This quote:

Quote:
"This study began when (the programs) were still in their infancy," said Valerie Huber, executive director of the National Abstinence Education Association. "The field of abstinence has significantly grown and evolved since that time and the results demonstrated in the Mathematica study are not representative of the abstinence education community as a whole."

Is retarded.

How the hell has the field of abstinence grow? There is only one fucking thing they teach, how the fuck does something like that "evolve"?

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: How the hell has

BGH wrote:
How the hell has the field of abstinence grow? There is only one fucking thing they teach, how the fuck does something like that "evolve"?

Hmmm....perhaps they are sneaking condoms into the curriculum?

Personal note: My daughter's school had a group come in and talk about safe sex but unfortunately, they pinned the condoms to the brochures. Great message, but perhaps they should make sure the condoms don't have holes in them? (She did say one of the students pointed this out.  The group was mortified and said they would correct the oversight.)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
D'OH!!!!

D'OH!!!!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: And they first

BGH wrote:
And they first had sex at about the same age as other students — 14.9 years, according to Mathematica Policy Research Inc.

Not even 15 years old?!?!?

I wonder if the average age has fallen in the past 10 or 20 years. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: BGH

Susan wrote:

BGH wrote:
And they first had sex at about the same age as other students — 14.9 years, according to Mathematica Policy Research Inc.

Not even 15 years old?!?!?

I wonder if the average age has fallen in the past 10 or 20 years.

That sounds about normal if I averaged out the ages of when most of my friends lost theirs....

I wish we had accurate numbers from now and 10 years ago, though. When asking about sex, some people probably will raise or lower the age, or maybe even say they haven't when they have, or have when they haven't.

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
We have recently learned

We have recently learned that the Ohio Department of Education has decided not to apply for HIV prevention funding from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

These funds could be used by the Department to provide training and technical assistance on implementing evidence-based HIV prevention programs for teachers, school administrators, parents, and school boards across Ohio .

Incredibly, the funds have already been set aside by the CDC, andearmarked for Ohio! Ohio simply needs to submit a reasonable application and the funding can be available.

Only Ohio and Utah have rejected these funds! Forty-eight states can use these funds, but not Ohio ?!

Yesterday, the Cleveland Plain Dealer published an editorial indicating that “health experts say the money is sorely needed” and urging Ohio Superintendent of Education Susan Tave Zelman to “make sure that Ohio no longer snubs such a useful grant.”

We can help change the Department’s decision!

The application deadline for these funds is November 21.

Please take just a few minutes – right now – to e-mail Superintendent Zelman and encourage her to apply for the CDC HIV prevention funds for the sake of Ohio ’s children.

Want to take the extra step?

* Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper and encouraging them to write an editorial in favor of an Ohio application to the CDC for these much needed HIV prevention funds.

* Forward this bulletin to as many people as possible!

Please take action today. Time is slipping away. Encourage the Department of Education to apply for these critical and lifesaving funds.

Sincerely,

Gary Dougherty
Executive Director
Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Ohio

http://www.ppaction.org/ppoh/home.html
For mire info

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.