Atheists Take on Religion---segment on ABC

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists Take on Religion---segment on ABC

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2923023

The link is to a segment on ABC that features the presidents of Freedom From Religion Foundation and Sam Harris. It even shows blurps of the RRS site!

Here's more about the FFRF and the Supreme Court case:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=568444&category=REGIONOTHER&BCCode=&newsdate=3/3/2007

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I found this segment as a

I found this segment as a complete exercise in bullshit. Fundlemental atheist is a nonsensical statement that should be wiped from the brains of all man kind. To say that someone can ridgely hold to a non belief just makes no sense to me.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I understand the reporter

I understand the reporter having to show the other side, but he sided with the religious. Seemed to give off a "What are we going to do about these atheists father?" kind of feel. His questions for the atheists were also lame. "But religion makes people feel good?" Like that balances out even one death...

The whole idea of secular fundamentalist is misplaced as there are religious people who want secularism and can be just as loud as an atheist. What I think he meant was the idea of atheist fundamentalism or militant atheism. Well until someone starts protesting funerals, killing people, or banning freedoms (minus the freedom to oppress) I don't think they can call us fundamentalist or extreme. Yeah we are so extreme writing books and having youtube videos. OH SHIT NOT A T-SHIRT!!!

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
When the reporter asked the

When the reporter asked the minister, "Couldn't you characterize their views as extreme?" In my opinion, definetly was not professional and showed bias toward christianity.

Also, look at how the segment began, with "mounting assertiveness of atheists..."

Ooooo, those "assertive" atheists are a dangerous breed folks! Better get your rosary beads and bibles out and pray really hard so they can't hurt us!Laughing

Then the segment ended with a reminder that atheists are just 2% of the population. In other words, "don't worry folks. We can lick 'em!"

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know. While of

I don't know. While of course still biased and not as respectful of the atheist perspective as I'd like, it's among the lesser slanted segments I've seen of late. And the fact that lately we've been seeing more and more of these segments (1 or 2 a week now) is progress. We're definitely starting to see the push back against the rising fundamentalism we've been facing in this country.

I definitely wish they had given more detail concerning the numbers of Atheists though. I believe it is 3 million (3%) registered Atheists, not that it's dramatically higher the the 2% they used. Also, it should have been made clear that there are potentially many more unregistered atheists and closeted atheists. They did make it seem small. But the fact that enough people write it in the census that it makes 3% of the entire nation is progress. And we never saw these types of stories atheist pieces a year ago, and certainly not of this number.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A lot of people will think

A lot of people will think it's a faze, but if the pressure keeps up it will snowball.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.