What makes us any different?

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
What makes us any different?

I see all of these atrocaties being committed to atheists and I hear about them all the time. How, we are being denied rights simply because of our views. We are being belittled because of our views. We are being singled out and attacked. Does anyone think that this has a chance of changing one day? Or.. will it get worse and worse? I know we need to rise up and defend our rights. But how is that possible right now when we are a vast minority? Nothing really has happened to me that infringes on my rights other than getting ganged up on in school by psuedo-intellectuals who think they know what they are talking about. I don't even bother argueing with them because their total and complete lack of knowledge actually offends my intelligence. But, that's besides the point, I am seeing all of these people all over the place barely even treating atheist's like people. Is there a chance all of this could get better?

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.

thraxas
thraxas's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes this is definitely a

Yes this is definitely a difficult problem facing atheists. I am assuming you are particularly speaking about the United States - a country which was founded with secularism at its core - and somehow theism has taken hold. It is truly bizarre when you compare the writings of the likes of Jefferson, Adams and other founding fathers to today. I am sure they would be horrified to realize the condition of the present day.  The quote in my profile is from Jefferson, and I am sure he would be sad to realize that 200 years later we still are treading water.

In the last few years the Secular Coalition has been lobbying in the capitol to fight for the rights of atheists. Even the first U.S. Congressman has "come out" as an atheist. The more that come out, the more the constituency will be able to demand atheistic candidates for office. The hatred towards atheism is entirely based on fear and illogical presuppositions that are ingrained in theistic minds. Actually, I should say religious theists - I can imagine a theist that did not grow up in a religion not to be as harsh as the chuch bred crazys that use their bronze age myths to horrible effect.

There are far more atheists than people are aware and there are many people that are on the cusp, that have not actually gave theism much thought - yet go through the motions. These are the people that atheists need to reach. 

Biochemist & Law Student

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I meant in america.

Yeah, I meant in america.

Free Thinking
Free Thinking's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your concerns worry me

Your concerns worry me too.  The nature of my thinking doesn't encourge imposing my beliefs on others either so I sort of feel guilty for not standing up more for our rights as it goes against my values.

I let every American with that sentiment know that as a very last resort, you are always welcome in Canada.  Come on over.

Judge: god, you have been accused of existence! What do you have to say for yourself?

god: I am innocent until proven guilty, your honour!

Voided
User is offlineOffline
No, now go cry. There will

No, now go cry.

There will probably be issues for awhile, but it should probably stop at some point and I doubt things will get as bad as it was for other groups. I would expect it would be close to the gay rights movement.  Right now, the public is largely ignorant about atheists and probably doesn't give a shit either way.

When people begin speaking up (more so then now) those who are actively against atheists will probably feel more threatened and might do more things, but that will be a minority. After awhile people will at least learn enough not to freak out. Whatever happens it shouldn't be as bad as other groups. We know how to use the media and more people are PC now days. The only way things could get worse is if crap out of a paranoid mind or a nut job come true, unlikely. There are nut jobs out there that do want very bad things to happen to atheists, but they have a long list of things to hate and shouldn't get support even if a person might be apathetic to their cause.

Honestly bullshit will stop when it become a non-issue. Not because people are afraid to talked about, but because it doesn't matter anymore.

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Every great revolt/movement

Every great revolt/movement in history started small.  We're no different except we're the first to have internet access