Unsaved Aliens?

Costiny
User is offlineOffline
Unsaved Aliens?

This is a hypothetical question directed towards Christians.  The question may seem a bit silly, but I really am curious about this. 

Let's say an advanced alien civilization came to Earth and they were able to teach us many things about the universe that we did not understand.  All of our religions are foreign to them and it is obvious that they have never heard of Jesus Christ.  We'll say that they've been in existence for millions of years and were able to prosper as a civilization over this time.  Would it be a Christian's duty to try and convert this alien race to Christianity or are souls only exclusive to humans?  Would you view these aliens as messengers from God?  Would you think that God was testing your faith?  I'm just really curious how Christians would react to such an event in religious terms.  I know this is a hypothetical question, but I find it to be an interesting one.  When I was a Christian I used to wonder if every civilization had a Jesus since that would be the only way to go to Heaven.  Anyway, thanks for responding if you do.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This reminds me of an Arthur

This reminds me of an Arthur C Clarke (an atheist) story where a priest was on a ship exploring a newly discovered extinct alien civilization - it was revealed in the story that the star of Bethlehem was the supernova that destroyed this civilization which caused a lot of conflict (never resolved in the story) for the priest. Was a pretty good story.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   xlint question, the

xlint question, the answer is obvious ! I will ask my xian freinds.   Thanks ! 

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is the sort of thing

This is the sort of thing that I would only worry about when it happens. Eye-wink

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
You say all of our

You say all of our religious are foreign to them.  Can I also assume they don't have their own religion?

If so, I'll be pushing you all out of the way so I can get to the front of the 'abduction' line. 

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
I've been informed by

I've been informed by several Christians that Aliens are the devil's minions.

So I assume that as soon as an Alien race appears we would be going to war against them. We must purge the galaxy of the devil's spawn!!

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk, you are are a

UltraMonk, you are a blast, shiting my pants ....

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
are they *really* devil

are they *really* devil spawn? depends.

and speaking of depends, it looks like god needs could use one...

Costiny
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: You

shelleymtjoy wrote:

You say all of our religious are foreign to them. Can I also assume they don't have their own religion?

If so, I'll be pushing you all out of the way so I can get to the front of the 'abduction' line.

I think it would be a safe assumption to say that the aliens would not have any religion.  I think that if they did have religion they would be too bogged down on their home planet trying to kill and convert each other to want to travel outside of their solar system.  Also, I would think that if they had gained such a vast knowledge of science and the cosmos to the point where they could travel through enormous amounts of space that they would have abandoned thoughts of religion and supersticion.  Again, totally hypothetical, but I really enjoy thinking about this and hearing what others think about it. 

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: are

shelleymtjoy wrote:
are they *really* devil spawn? depends.

Now, now. We all know that God is real, the Bible is all true and Christians can never ever do wrong and are always right.

Or are you an alien infiltrating our planet? Smiling

If I was an alien and looked at the social landscape of this planet, I'd be looking at all the religious people and going WTF?!?!?!

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
on a serious note, an alien

on a serious note, an alien would probably turn the fuck around and go back.  sadly, this would probably happen before i was beamed aboard.

we are really screwed up and pretty much incapable of interacting with inhabitants of another planet.  i've reached this conclusion by looking at how we can't even get along among countries on this planet.

the only reason i can conclude that an alien would land would probably involve having the technology to stun or nuke us all combined with a huge desire for some sort of natural resource the could not get elsewhere.  since "we come in peace" would probably meet the end of a shotgun. i would actually be impressed if we managed to try to "save" them.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  on a serious note,

on a serious note

I love  shelleymtjoy, .... 

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote: I've been

UltraMonk wrote:

I've been informed by several Christians that Aliens are the devil's minions.

So I assume that as soon as an Alien race appears we would be going to war against them. We must purge the galaxy of the devil's spawn!!

Back in my Fundie Christian School days, I was discussing UFOs with my friend, who seriously suggested that the devil created UFO rumors so that when the Rapture came Satan'd have something he could explain it away with.

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

on a serious note

I love shelleymtjoy, ....

so god really does love me, huh? 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do we listen to herds of

Do we listen to herds of cattle about their religion as we take them to the slaughterhouse?  I suspect that the alien situation would be similar.  Anything that can travel that far is not going to be interested in us and our beliefs. 

After all, "It's a cookbook!"

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
It may also be that

It may also be that religion is a more-or-less inevitable side effect of social intelligence (as per Dennett, Atran). We don't really have a standard for comparison to know whether or not a technologically-capable intelligence can develop in a way that is significantly different from the human mechanism with its embedded tendency toward magical thinking.  And we also don't yet know if it's possible (or adaptive) for a culture to completely overcome that tendency.

So maybe they would try to convert us to their religion.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Textom wrote: So maybe

Textom wrote:

So maybe they would try to convert us to their religion.

Right, perhaps they would be as compassionate as the Dominicans in Iberia.  They'll convert us with the whip and sword.  It would be cool though.  A lot of Christians would see it as an opportunity for martyrdom. I hope I get picked as a pet so I can go to the forum.  lol

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Twixly
User is offlineOffline
I´ve actually considered

I´ve actually considered the possibility that aliens show up here (or already have). While not revealing themself they look at our planet and decide to leave us alone for now. Since their arival would trigger so much comotion in many of the world religions that any sensible relations with us would be impossible.

Tho I am curios on the general stand various believers have on this matter indeed.

RationalDeist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I think if we met any

I think if we met any "aliens" then they would be nothing like us, in that their technology would be so far advanced beyond ours that they would basically be gods, in that they had already converted all of their biological and thought processes to computer components of some kind, and were now having billions of times the thoughts that your measely biological evolved brain can produce.  A brain designed by technology would squash the human one.  Ever read Ray Kurzwell?  Ya, I don't think we will be meeting any "aliens" that are anything but computers.

In other words, they will be immortal, which means that they will have no reason for religion.  They might even know how to jump to other universes (if they can arrive in ours, they would have most likely have had to travel faster than light to ever reach us).  In that case, they can outsurvive the life of this universe, possibly being truely immortal.  

Ooo, I wana meet these aliens :P 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    aliens, ? thats us

aliens, ? thats us too ....

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalDeist wrote: their

RationalDeist wrote:
their technology would be so far advanced beyond ours that they would basically be gods,

I think this view of aliens as automatically more culturally "advanced," peaceful and wise is overly naive.  If natural selection tells us anything, it says that peaceful, wise, artistic tendencies are not always selected for.

Among the many reprehensible things L. Ron Hubbard wrote is a decent SF novel, "Battlefield Earth."  (No one should ever see the film, by the way.)  In that novel, the conquering aliens are basically unintelligent brutish thugs who stole all their advanced technology from other races and used it to conquer the galaxy, even though they barely understand it.  This scenario doesn't seem any less likely than the wise, kind race. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's interesting to me how

It's interesting to me how vexing the question of the possibility of life on other worlds seems to be for theists.

Of course it's all conjecture at this point until we actually discover life somewhere else, but it's clear that the major religions don't seem to have an answer for this what-if scenario. Which I suppose isn't too surprising, since most religions reject any science that threatens to minimize the importance of their deity.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I think this view

Quote:

I think this view of aliens as automatically more culturally "advanced," peaceful and wise is overly naive.

It's an absurd expression of romantic hope. With our field of exobiology wholly speculative, and Astrosociobiology essentially guesswork, we simply cannot infer anything about them. We seem to go through cultural phases pertaining to how we percieve what alien sentience might be like. From the LGM phase "little green men", to the "God aliens" phase, the belief that the aliens will have advanced beyond the petty struggles that characterize mankind to become superbeings. The Anthropomprhic problem comes from men characterizing possible sentient life as basically human. Man is man, and all he knows is man (this same problem could be applied to our conception of God). The Anthropic Principle and the Anthropomorphic problem inform us that these aliens are unlikely to be anything like us whatsoever. They might not even use the same sense equipment. They might not percieve the same wavelengths and frequencies even if they did have the same sense equipment. Their metabolic rate might be so different that what is an hour of consciousness to us might be several seconds to them. They might be blind and develop a "language" through a sense equipment we don't even have, like pressure or temperature (consider that our "language" is, in its essence,  a highly complex pattern generated by the vibration of molecules through the air being processed by a vibrating drum, and this no longer seems absurd). Indeed, it would be very unlikely that we would have any common ground at all.

On the other hand, the principles of Convergent evolution and Mediocrity inform us that because (a) the more complex species are, the more limits there are on basic underlying constraints and (b) there are built in limits to the complexity which evolution can generate (this is the Mutation Principle), and (c) It is more probabalistic that due to the extremely narrow requisites for life and especially sentient life, and (d) Evolution tends to force modularity even with divergence, they would be extremely similar to us. 

So, we cannot know without test subjects, I say. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Larty
Larty's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's an answer to this

Here's an answer to this question from my old-self:

Gods begin to exist when enough sentient beings willbegin to believe in them. All sentient, spiritually advanced beings radiate psychic energy around them, and this energy causes gods to exist and grow in power. No god is anymore "true" or "false" than others. It's just the matter of how many people gather the psychic energy to cause a god to exist.

Therefore, aliens may believe in a different god/s and a different "heaven", and we humans can continue to belive in our own. No need for debate which god is real. They all are.

Irrational? Sure as hell it is. Smiling 

Trust and believe in no god, but trust and believe in yourself.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
If my luck had any bearing

If my luck had any bearing on it the aliens would probably be some version of fundamentalist xtians in their own right with tons of torture implements to convert us to belief in their sky daddy.  Those arriving would be like the missionaries who killed those who refused to accept their bullshit.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150