Trump pledged to destroy Johnson Amendment.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Trump pledged to destroy Johnson Amendment.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-pledges-destroy-law-blocking-political-activity/story?id=45221858

So what I don't get is why is American Atheists speaking on a political matter(getting rid of Johnson)? Are they not doing exactly what they claim should be illegal by being an NPO and speaking out on a political issue?

Are atheist OK with the hypocricy of Athiest organization can speak out on political matters but not churches? Should the IRS now remove AA's tax exemption status for speaking out on this issue?

The rational answer is no one should have tax exempt status. In fact, taxes are irrational and should be replaced with user fees.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC

EXC wrote:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-pledges-destroy-law-blocking-political-activity/story?id=45221858

So what I don't get is why is American Atheists speaking on a political matter(getting rid of Johnson)? Are they not doing exactly what they claim should be illegal by being an NPO and speaking out on a political issue?

Are atheist OK with the hypocricy of Athiest organization can speak out on political matters but not churches? Should the IRS now remove AA's tax exemption status for speaking out on this issue?

The rational answer is no one should have tax exempt status. In fact, taxes are irrational and should be replaced with user fees.

As with this forum, I don't think most atheist groups are considered non-profits. I know RRS isn't tax exempt.  Some as the American Atheists are but see this link for their lawsuit in how secular groups are discriminated against in respect to non-profit status - www.atheists.org/legal/current/IRS

And you may be right about it, though i'd think discussing the Johnson Amendment either pro or con ought to be allowed by religious and secular groups as it does affect them.

However in the event it is repealed the next election cycle will be filled with churches promoting their candidates and demands. Not a good thing for non-believers. 

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Atheists

According to Wikipedia, they are NPO. So they violated the law they are saying we need to keep by saying we need to keep it. The irony.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Like a thousand religious

Like a thousand religious groups haven't been doing exactly the same thing.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
EXC

EXC wrote:

According to Wikipedia, they are NPO. So they violated the law they are saying we need to keep by saying we need to keep it. The irony.

I said they were non-profit, see above, they sued the IRS over the restrictive rules in regard to secular groups being discriminated against versus religious groups to become non-profit per IRS rules.

Is it against the law to discuss and make statements in regard to a law that affects you or your organization now in the US? This is not advocating a candidate or a political position, only discussing a position on a law.

If that is the case, every religious group has violated their non-profit status by objecting to Obamacarre, birth control, abortion, the death penalty, etc.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
More on the Johnson Amendment

LBJ the asshat killer of my freinds during the Viet Nam war, introduced this amendment to the IRS tax code in 1954 in response to a primary opponent who ran against him in Texas that was supported by non-profits.  Not to say he accidently did some other beneficial things while President, though they were more than likely JFKs originally.

In regard to the Johnson Amendment, it does not ban NPOs from commenting on laws and issues, if so, no NPO in the US would be tax exempt anymore. 

Here's the basics - NPOs are prohibited from endorsing, collecting contributions or supporting any political candidate.

What it does not do is prohibit them from taking positions on issues.

So American Atheists did not violate the law.

See this from the IRS - www.irs.gov/uac/charities-churches-and-politics

And this detailed PDF IRS Revenue ruling - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-07-41.pdf

PJTS

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
The entire tax system is a

The entire tax system is a cluster fuck. Flat fee for all businesses and people, though different.

No exemptions. No saving of receipts. No write offs.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:EXC

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

EXC wrote:

I said they were non-profit, see above, they sued the IRS over the restrictive rules in regard to secular groups being discriminated against versus religious groups to become non-profit per IRS rules.

Is it against the law to discuss and make statements in regard to a law that affects you or your organization now in the US? This is not advocating a candidate or a political position, only discussing a position on a law.

If that is the case, every religious group has violated their non-profit status by objecting to Obamacarre, birth control, abortion, the death penalty, etc.

You may be right. It seems it is a gray area. The government is trying to have it both ways.

http://www.bpnews.net/6205

The statement by AA doesn't seem very neutral. They didn't just say Trump was getting rid of the Johnson amendment, they said Trump was doing a bad thing. Seems to me like the same thing as a church steering people away from pro-abortion rights politicians. I think the IRS could go after them in an election year.

The Supreme Court should rule this regulation unconstitutional restriction on free speech. Actually, they should rule all NPO tax exemption unconstitutional under equal protection as well.