For those who think the space programme does nothing but cost money

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
For those who think the space programme does nothing but cost money

The newest technology from NASA protects buildings from earthquakes, and could not have happened without the space programme. This is only the most recent technology provided by NASA that makes life on Earth safer. Every few years they come up with something equally awesome.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/nasa-responds-sos-historic-proportions-180958913/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I agree, so why not let

I agree, so why not let religion and uber billioniares continue all the needless distractions that divert funds away from the things our planet needs. It would suck if we had less religious violence in the world and we had more life saving technology wouldn't it?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
As usual Brian blames

As usual Brian blames religion, when in this particular case it's his secular government that isn't investing in NASA and the environment. Religion has nothing to do with the subject in any way, but Brian's religious beliefs require him to blame religion for everything.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 But there is never much

But there is never much money for space after all the corporate and individual welfare payments must be made. So space can never become a solution to the big problems.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
A while ago

there was a program on this. So I googled -earthquake counter weight- and it came up with the concept that was on PBS. Very interesting. It's a big ball (about 700 tons) at the top of a high-up-there buliding designed to stablize in high winds. My search came up with all manner of mechanisms.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote: But there is

EXC wrote:

But there is never much money for space after all the corporate and individual welfare payments must be made. So space can never become a solution to the big problems.

There's still enough that NASA is going, so obviously you're wrong.
It's also the only solution to the real big problems. Nothing else can or will solve anything. If the US won't do it, China will.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:EXC wrote: But

Vastet wrote:
EXC wrote:

There's still enough that NASA is going, so obviously you're wrong. It's also the only solution to the real big problems. Nothing else can or will solve anything. If the US won't do it, China will.

True. Only a country with mandatory birth control and limited immigration could sustain a space program. Borrowing from China now sustains our modest space program, even that can't last

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That simply isn't true.

That simply isn't true. Neither Russia nor the US have ever had mandatory birth control, and both nations have had space programmes for more than half a century. So clearly your definition of sustainable is flawed.

In fact, this one invention alone will end up saving more money than has ever been spent on space by the entire Earth. That is the very definition of sustainable. And it only costs US tax payers 1/10th of one penny per dollar of their taxes.

Borrowing from China sustains your empire, not your space programme.