Vegans weep: pork & chicken cause less damage to the environment than vegan staples

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vegans weep: pork & chicken cause less damage to the environment than vegan staples

Vegetarian and 'healthy' diets are more harmful to the environment
Eating lettuce is more than three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon

Date:
December 14, 2015

Source:
Carnegie Mellon University

Summary:
Following the USDA recommendations to consume more fruits, vegetables, dairy and seafood is more harmful to the environment because those foods have relatively high resource uses and greenhouse gas emissions per calorie, say researchers. A new study measured the changes in energy use, blue water footprint and GHG emissions associated with US food consumption patterns.

Exerpts:

"Eating lettuce is over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon," said Paul Fischbeck, professor of social and decisions sciences and engineering and public policy. "Lots of common vegetables require more resources per calorie than you would think. Eggplant, celery and cucumbers look particularly bad when compared to pork or chicken."

On one hand, the results showed that getting our weight under control and eating fewer calories, has a positive effect on the environment and reduces energy use, water use and GHG emissions from the food supply chain by approximately 9 percent.

However, eating the recommended "healthier" foods -- a mix of fruits, vegetables, dairy and seafood -- increased the environmental impact in all three categories: Energy use went up by 38 percent, water use by 10 percent and GHG emissions by 6 percent.

Source:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151214130727.htm

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I've been saying that for

I've been saying that for years, nice to be vindicated. The absolute worst thing you can do for the environment is eat all organic vegan.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It won't do you any favours

It won't do you any favours either lol

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.