Happy Cinco De Mayo

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Happy Cinco De Mayo

Happy Cinco de Mayo, a good day to remember the fact that the French suck and a good excuse to drink margaritas and eat tacos, because a celebration just wouldn't be American without cheap booze and perversions of ethnic food.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Would Mexico have been a

Would Mexico have been a better place if the French had won?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The French did win the war, quite convincingly.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: and a

Beyond Saving wrote:

and a good excuse to drink margaritas and eat tacos, because a celebration just wouldn't be American without cheap booze and perversions of ethnic food.

I live in Texas therefore May 5 is no more propitious for eating Mexican food than May 4 or May 6.  It's like eating rice if you live in Viet Nam.  It's what we do.  ( shrugs shoulders )

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I thought they won the battle but lost the war

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Beyond

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I thought they won the battle but lost the war

The Mexicans won the battle, hence the holiday, they ultimately lost the war and the French ruled Mexico until 1868 or 1869 (too damn lazy to google it now) when America threatened to go to war with them over it. At which point the French did what they do best and beat a hasty retreat, leaving their stooges to be hung.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find the American tendency

I find the American tendency to insult the French military amusing since you wouldn't have ever won independence from the British without their help. Especially since the French actually conducted and won wars without any help, which the US has never done.

In the history of war, France > USA.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I find the

Vastet wrote:
I find the American tendency to insult the French military amusing since you wouldn't have ever won independence from the British without their help. Especially since the French actually conducted and won wars without any help, which the US has never done. In the history of war, France > USA.

War of 1812, Mexican-American War and Spanish American War and the mass genocide of the Indians. The French never exterminated entire populations.

Besides, 'Merica is the only country that matters in any war, read any history book written in America you Canadian Commie. America Fuck Yeah!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The war of 1812 you lost.

The war of 1812 you lost. And would have lost in less than a year if not for Napoleon.

I guess you have me on the other two. > >

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:The war of 1812

Vastet wrote:
The war of 1812 you lost. And would have lost in less than a year if not for Napoleon.

yeah, one of my british friends laid the same line of bullshit on me once.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's not bullshit. Something

It's not bullshit. Something like 90% of the royal navy was occupied off the coast of Europe. The American declaration of war came as a complete surprise to the British, and they basically told the Canadian colonies they were on their own. It wasn't until Napoleon was defeated that the British really jumped in.
The main reason the US failed was that they were as unprepared for war as Canada was. And in an equal fight, the defence generally has the advantage. As was the case in 1812.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I find the

Vastet wrote:
I find the American tendency to insult the French military amusing...

I agree. For example, no matter what any American super patriot says the US mission to thwart the spread of communism in south Viet Nam was ultimately a failure.   Was it the fault of the US military or rather the fault of the political powers in control at that time ?   The military at large exists to follow orders not formulate foreign policy.  The Viet Nam war was a political failure,  not a military one.

As an American I admire the French military ( especially the French Foreign Legion, the GIGN, etc ) as well as their indigenous weapons industry.   I don't blame  soldiers for the bad decisions of their government.  Losing an armed engagement ( Dien Bien Phu ) doesn't make the French defenders pussies.   Were the Spartans pussies for eventually losing to the Persians at the battle of Thermopylae ?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:The

Beyond Saving wrote:
The French never exterminated entire populations.

That depends on who you talk to:  http://www.turkishweekly.net/article/154/accusations-of-french-genocide-against-algerians.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/dec/23/turkey-accuses-france-genocide-algeria

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, that's exactly what i

yeah, that's exactly what i was about to say. the algerians might feel differently about that.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:It's not

Vastet wrote:
It's not bullshit. Something like 90% of the royal navy was occupied off the coast of Europe. The American declaration of war came as a complete surprise to the British, and they basically told the Canadian colonies they were on their own. It wasn't until Napoleon was defeated that the British really jumped in. The main reason the US failed was that they were as unprepared for war as Canada was. And in an equal fight, the defence generally has the advantage. As was the case in 1812.

We got Erie, West Florida and perhaps most importantly, broke up Tecumseh's confederacy. It isn't like we actually wanted Canada (except perhaps for Madison), and a good thing we didn't. Otherwise, today hockey would be our national sport, what a nightmare world that would be. 

You are right that it would have been very different if the British military wasn't otherwise engaged. They didn't really have much interest in fighting us, if they had continued to send fullscale invasion forces, the US would have had to conquer Canada. Which with sheer numbers alone, we probably would have, simply because of the time it took to get across the atlantic back then. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was Madison who started

It was Madison who started the whole thing, so passing off the desire to take Canada as being his desire alone doesn't fly. He barked and tho soldiers moved out.
By the time the war was over you were outnumbered and outgunned in all theatres north and east. Attempting to push for the conquest of Canada would have made America a colony of England again, at best. The Brits had cut off all your trade, except for in New England where they were actually trading with the Brits in defiance of US law. All your invasion forces were either defeated outright or were forced to retreat when the locals refused to welcome and supply US troops as the US expected they would.
You never had a chance at taking Canada.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Makes no diference.  All

Makes no diference.  All the cool ones move down here anyway, like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A lot of yours move up here.

A lot of yours move up here. A lot more will when the American empire collapses. Even more will when Canada takes over the role of super power. Enjoy it while it lasts. Smiling

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:A lot of yours

Vastet wrote:
A lot of yours move up here. A lot more will when the American empire collapses. Even more will when Canada takes over the role of super power. Enjoy it while it lasts. Smiling

Canada's fucked. They think curling is a sport.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's an incredibly stupid

That's an incredibly stupid argument coming from a country that thinks football and baseball and golf are sports.